Elddis 185 Fresh Water Meter faulty

replied on 04/09/2019 16:18

Posted on 04/09/2019 16:18

Hi

I bought a Elddis 185 in Jun 18 it has been back to the Elddis agent under warranty 5 times and they cannot calibrate the Fresh Water Tank Meter, its still a problem even though they have changed all the components anyone else had this problem / had it resolved and how ?

Thanks

young thomas replied on 04/09/2019 18:41

Posted on 04/09/2019 18:41

there may still be an issue with you meter etc, however some brands of van seem to have many problems with water readings....just check some of the 'popular' forums...

different brands use different methods....studs, rods etc but, despite multiple cleans to remove grunge (apparently a major contributor to poor readings) users report that the problem returns.

following our two erratic Swifts, our two German vans have been spot on....I don't know what method is used, I'm just glad to say it just works....

shouldnt they all....for the money folk pay?

Tinwheeler replied on 04/09/2019 18:48

Posted on 04/09/2019 18:48

Tank gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Ours isn’t too bad unless we’ve driven over rough roads or been on a bumpy ferry trip. It settles eventually.

DavidKlyne replied on 04/09/2019 20:25

Posted on 04/09/2019 20:25

I would sometimes had to recalibrate the water gauge on my previous Bailey motorhome. It was a fairly easy thing to do once you have the instructions and must be done with the tank empty. If there is a Facebook group  for your make of motorhome someone on there may have the instructions. 

David

cyberyacht replied on 04/09/2019 20:44

Posted on 04/09/2019 20:44

I've recalibrated the water meter on my Marquis(Elddis)125. Waste of time. It still only gives a rough approximation. Happiness is a full water tank.

dougA replied on 05/09/2019 10:21

Posted on 04/09/2019 16:18 by

Hi

I bought a Elddis 185 in Jun 18 it has been back to the Elddis agent under warranty 5 times and they cannot calibrate the Fresh Water Tank Meter, its still a problem even though they have changed all the components anyone else had this problem / had it resolved and how ?

Thanks

Posted on 05/09/2019 10:21

Hi.........fresh water meter 😤. I have a Elddis 196 and I’ve had the meter recalibrated several times and a new unit fitted. It’s currently at my dealers at present for other warranty repairs and this is always on my list of repairs. They recalibrate say it’s working then I fill up full and it only shows just over have full on the meter.

What I have noticed is that I have been at Great Yarmouth twice over the last three years and after filling up down there no matter how much water is in the tank the reading jumps straight to full and stays there.

I read on a forum that the hard water down south can cause erratic readings.

antirampman replied on 05/09/2019 12:05

Posted on 05/09/2019 12:05

I have had several Elddis vans over the years, some years ago they had a small adjuster knob at the side which enabled you to adjust the level each time you filled up but since they stopped fitting the knob the meters have been pretty near useless. the hardness of the water used does affect the reading as well. The last Elddis I had showed full until it had about 10 litres left I used to fill up as soon as it showed any movement.

young thomas replied on 05/09/2019 13:28

Posted on 05/09/2019 13:28

can anyone explain why a water level indicator might need recalibration?

if it uses reading rods or studs, aren't they set at specific intervals to read 1/4, 1/2 etc, and the activation of said 'reader' is reflected on the contol panel?

ABM replied on 06/09/2019 14:35

Posted on 06/09/2019 14:35

Long since given up using the Fresh water Meter. I just do a top-up / refill every other day and, as CY says, that keeps ME happy !!

BlueVanMan replied on 07/09/2019 08:31

Posted on 06/09/2019 14:35 by ABM

Long since given up using the Fresh water Meter. I just do a top-up / refill every other day and, as CY says, that keeps ME happy !!

Posted on 07/09/2019 08:31

I'm with ABM.

In my early days as a motor-homer I used to take out the sensor (three metal rods of different lengths so actually a pretty simple, dare I say crude device)  on my Hymer Van 522 and clean them to keep the fresh water level gauge working. Nowadays on different van  I don't rely on it. It's just too much trouble. 

As a generalisation and in my relatively limited experience fresh gauges work reasonably well most of the time but grey water gauges are less reliable. Accuracy can be compromised in some vans for example if the van is not level.

With experience you will get to know how much water you are using and when to fill up (and empty). Also how much water you use and carry will depend on circumstances. For example if you are travelling 400 miles to site there is no point in carrying a lot of water.

We mostly use a 12.5 litre water carrier and a funnel so you can fill up from any tap, sometimes a short hose cut off from a longer one.  OK it may take a few trips but carrying the weight and walking is also good exercise !! 

Your tank is full when water runs out of the filler (but make sure if you have an inboard tank with a top cap that this is on and tightly closed.

young thomas replied on 07/09/2019 15:40

Posted on 07/09/2019 15:40

yes, happiness could be defined as 'a full water tank'...but might also be defined as 'having sufficient water' for one's needssmile

we are on a non EHU 'site' (at a MH show) for three nights....

as I know we easily have enough for showers in the van each morning and other uses with just half a tank, I filled until the gauge said 'half full'.....it's very accurate and I am happy to rely on it, as is the waste one...

so, I have sufficient water for my needs, half filled, but I am filled with happinesswink

no need of a tap, although there is one, no need of any exercise: we get plenty without resorting to water carrying.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook