Fiat Ducato 2019 accelerator fault

sorento replied on 07/07/2019 09:21

Posted on 07/07/2019 09:21

I have moved to the Dark Side with knaus motor home which we love after 40 years caravaning. Unfortunately a fault accured traveling up the m1 at 60 mph in the third lane of four very busy motorway i lost acceleration and had to move into lane one slowly then move very slowly to SOS point with hazards on at this point I tried manual and the accelerator worked OK ,I then had to pull out into four lanes of traffic with no hard shoulder to get up to speed I have now found fiat have a RECALL .

On this Motorhome ref R/2019/103 this was a extremely dangerous situation to be in I have contacted fiat and are now awaiting parts. I have not had a recall letter yet even though this was ilighted on the 10 of may.

I am very thankful to all the drivers who manovered around my vehicle  and it ilighted to me the dangers of smart motorways!   My Motorhome is a FIAT DUCATO 2.3 150 registered April 2019.

I hope this is helpful we still love the great Motorhome.

Peter

Tinwheeler replied on 07/07/2019 09:49

Posted on 07/07/2019 09:49

Dark side? Hush your mouth🤭

Tbh, nothing regarding Sevel vehicles surprises me but thanks for the heads up to those who may be similarly affected.

Glad to hear you got out of a scary situation without mishap.

SteveL replied on 07/07/2019 10:40

Posted on 07/07/2019 10:40

i lost acceleration and had to move into lane one slowly then move very slowly to SOS point with hazards on at this point I tried manual and the accelerator worked OK

Sorento, when you say tried manual do you mean, as in your MH has the semi automatic gearbox?

The recall procedure does seem to work for some things, we had one for a possible intercooler sleeve problem, which it said could result in the engine going into limp mode. Sorted out very quickly by a Fiat Proffesional garage in Southampton, as we were on holiday at the time.

sorento replied on 27/07/2019 18:21

Posted on 27/07/2019 18:21

Recall on accelerator body now completed ,power loss fault was because at some time earlier I have touched the brake and accelerator together causing a computer fault ? So I was told  hope they are right fingers crossed.

Peter

EmilysDad replied on 29/07/2019 21:47

Posted on 27/07/2019 18:21 by sorento

Recall on accelerator body now completed ,power loss fault was because at some time earlier I have touched the brake and accelerator together causing a computer fault ? So I was told  hope they are right fingers crossed.

Peter

Posted on 29/07/2019 21:47

Mmm? Sounds an iffy excuse to me. I've tried various times on modern vehicles with fly-by-wire throttles pressing both pedals at once and within a couple of seconds the throttle will 'switch off' .... coincidentally I tried it the other day with my Merc ML just to see if it would do the same ... it did! 

Some cars just have (known) faults in one or the other end of the throttle.

Phishing replied on 30/07/2019 21:58

Posted on 29/07/2019 21:47 by EmilysDad

Mmm? Sounds an iffy excuse to me. I've tried various times on modern vehicles with fly-by-wire throttles pressing both pedals at once and within a couple of seconds the throttle will 'switch off' .... coincidentally I tried it the other day with my Merc ML just to see if it would do the same ... it did! 

Some cars just have (known) faults in one or the other end of the throttle.

Posted on 30/07/2019 21:58

Modern vehicles are complex and deliberately so, it saves countless lives due to driver error. Throttle and brake input together is an implausible situation so the vehicle goes in to limp home mode. It does this because it thinks there could be a system fault on the brakes or the throttle so takes the safest course of action to protect the vehicle and its occupants. 

It was not a computer fault, it was designed to that to stop the driver doing something it considered dangerous or damaging to the vehicle.

EmilysDad replied on 30/07/2019 22:37

Posted on 30/07/2019 21:58 by Phishing

Modern vehicles are complex and deliberately so, it saves countless lives due to driver error. Throttle and brake input together is an implausible situation so the vehicle goes in to limp home mode. It does this because it thinks there could be a system fault on the brakes or the throttle so takes the safest course of action to protect the vehicle and its occupants. 

It was not a computer fault, it was designed to that to stop the driver doing something it considered dangerous or damaging to the vehicle.

Posted on 30/07/2019 22:37

I know .... Sorento was told there was a computer fault cos both pedals were pressed at the same time, I pointed out that pressing them both wouldn't do that.

sorento replied on 17/11/2019 20:48

Posted on 17/11/2019 20:48

Just completed 3000 miles trip Spain and Portugal fiat wise perfect, dometic wise not good freezer door catch broke could not open freezer had to go to camperserv Portugal for warranty repair who did a great job .They also repaired dometic oven when it jammed open this happens when waiting for ferry to Santander.

The computer showed a error 299 not fault as you pointed out molly's mum .

PS we love the Dark Side.

Kind regards Pete.

Sennon replied on 08/10/2021 11:24

Posted on 07/07/2019 09:21 by sorento

I have moved to the Dark Side with knaus motor home which we love after 40 years caravaning. Unfortunately a fault accured traveling up the m1 at 60 mph in the third lane of four very busy motorway i lost acceleration and had to move into lane one slowly then move very slowly to SOS point with hazards on at this point I tried manual and the accelerator worked OK ,I then had to pull out into four lanes of traffic with no hard shoulder to get up to speed I have now found fiat have a RECALL .

On this Motorhome ref R/2019/103 this was a extremely dangerous situation to be in I have contacted fiat and are now awaiting parts. I have not had a recall letter yet even though this was ilighted on the 10 of may.

I am very thankful to all the drivers who manovered around my vehicle  and it ilighted to me the dangers of smart motorways!   My Motorhome is a FIAT DUCATO 2.3 150 registered April 2019.

I hope this is helpful we still love the great Motorhome.

Peter

Posted on 08/10/2021 11:24

Hi, looking for some help. I have a 2021 Fiat which is going into limp mode and  have been told it’s because the accelerator pedal and brake have been used  together but reading your post you had a similar problem, is there a recall on this issue or what was your outcome please. Regards Dave

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook