Mi-fi in UK

AngusPiloteCamper replied on 31/07/2020 07:41

Posted on 31/07/2020 07:41

Hi, looking for recommendations for a good PAYG deal for mobile broadband when touring. My experience is that wi-fi can be hit or miss from site to site.

Any advice please, on which network and good PAYG deals ?

Thanks.

IanTG replied on 02/08/2020 14:03

Posted on 02/08/2020 14:03

Another vote for Three’s internet with legs package. We too get cards from Amazon (buy in advance when on offer) and use them in a Huewai mobile router - also from Amazon. Supports multiple devices simultaneously. Always intended for use when abroad (both with caravan and long haul flying hols) but often now use in UK when local WiFi is weak.

ob1 replied on 02/08/2020 15:18

Posted on 02/08/2020 15:18

I use Smarty Mobile you can get 30gb for £10 month or totally unlimited for £20 month they use the 3 network I have normally had a good signal it is amazing how much data you use if you stream tv etc. There is no contract so I just pay a month at at time as and when required. 

Busyelf replied on 16/08/2020 10:50

Posted on 16/08/2020 10:50

Just been away to Kessingland White House Beach site, and some of the attractions near there were book-online-only. Trying to get a decent internet signal was very frustrating to say the least. I signed up for the year subscription to the Club W-Fi- and it took me 3 hours to send and e-mail with attachments.
I believe that this is something that the club as a whole should look into.

On rainy days the Wi-Fi was so overeloaded it was impossible to even maintain a connection. I imagine the kids are looking for entertainment online when they can't go out and enjoy the play facilities outside. We also purchased a Wi-Fi dongle and signed up to Smarty. £10.00 for 30 GB data per month. although this was sufficient for my needs, it wouldn't have supported live video streaming, in the area we were in.

I have yet to try other sites, maybe some are better than others, but I guess it's down to bandwidth and the number of users. on the Club's Wi-Fi.

Prior to this we were at a commercial site near Cleethorpes when I tethered to my phone, (3 Network).as there was no on-site Wi-Fi, the signal was good enough to Stream a live broadcast, to our servers ( see carltonradio.co.uk) for broadcasting.

Linksdale replied on 22/09/2020 19:32

Posted on 22/09/2020 19:32

Have a look at the Three Home-Fi router, uses 4G (latest router uses 5G). I have used it all over the country and at home it beats my non-fibre Plusnet/BT hands down.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook