Motorhome Money Pit

tricia11 replied on 26/02/2021 16:51

Posted on 26/02/2021 16:51

When you purchase a brand new Motorhome you don’t expect to keep constantly paying out for travel costs to have warranty work done in the first two years.

Then in the fourth year pay out hundreds of pounds to have safety repairs done which should never have occurred min the first place.

Takethedogalong replied on 27/02/2021 10:31

Posted on 27/02/2021 10:31

One of the issues around new MHs for us, is the fact that Fiat and Peugeot dominate the base vehicle market. We had extensive dealings with Fiat a few years ago, when they bought Jeep. It took a very nice person in Milan to sort out the dealer over here before we got satisfaction. I drove a Jeep (Fiat) Renegade for a month as well. A Jeep it was not, merely something with lots of stickers on.

Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot are now one, a giant company called Stellantis. On the plus side, no matter when your hearts desire claps out or falls to bits unexpectedly, you only deal with one huge company😉

The MH market needs some better base vehicles. Can’t fault the VW lump that powers our 20 year old MH. It’s never failed it’s MOT.

EmilysDad replied on 27/02/2021 19:00

Posted on 27/02/2021 10:31 by Takethedogalong

One of the issues around new MHs for us, is the fact that Fiat and Peugeot dominate the base vehicle market. We had extensive dealings with Fiat a few years ago, when they bought Jeep. It took a very nice person in Milan to sort out the dealer over here before we got satisfaction. I drove a Jeep (Fiat) Renegade for a month as well. A Jeep it was not, merely something with lots of stickers on.

Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot are now one, a giant company called Stellantis. On the plus side, no matter when your hearts desire claps out or falls to bits unexpectedly, you only deal with one huge company😉

The MH market needs some better base vehicles. Can’t fault the VW lump that powers our 20 year old MH. It’s never failed it’s MOT.

Posted on 27/02/2021 19:00

The Fiat/PSA domination in the MH market would really put me off buying the majority of motorhomes.

Tinwheeler replied on 27/02/2021 19:12

Posted on 27/02/2021 19:00 by EmilysDad

The Fiat/PSA domination in the MH market would really put me off buying the majority of motorhomes.

Posted on 27/02/2021 19:12

By your own admission, you know they’re far from perfect vehicles yet you queried my comment about the airbag warning light issue at 4 years old when I implied it was par for the course. 🤷🏻‍♂️

EmilysDad replied on 27/02/2021 19:42

Posted on 27/02/2021 19:12 by Tinwheeler

By your own admission, you know they’re far from perfect vehicles yet you queried my comment about the airbag warning light issue at 4 years old when I implied it was par for the course. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Posted on 27/02/2021 19:42

didn't really mean to query, just incredulous that a vehicle of any flavour could develop a SRS fault so young. The only time I've ever had a SRS light come on, was my own doing ie turning the ignition on when part of the SRS was disconnected.

Takethedogalong replied on 27/02/2021 20:09

Posted on 27/02/2021 20:09

I think any marque could have an early problem, even the so called prestige vehicles. They are complicated bits of design and engineering nowadays, potential for something happening unforeseen is a lot greater. Gone are the days when you just thumped something with a lump hammer. Our last venture with an LR product saw us despairing with frustration, we haven’t owned one for at least ten years now.

replied on 27/02/2021 20:25

Posted on 27/02/2021 19:00 by EmilysDad

Posted on 27/02/2021 20:25

We are looking for a Motorhome and spoke to a large Dealer yesterday [Friday 26th Feb]. He said they normally have hundreds of Motorhomes in stock, but not this year. The Dealer said the pandemic has caused havoc with the production lines and Fiat are some 16,500 chassis short of orders received and current orders are being cancelled and/or delayed. He said the Dethleffs were not expecting to ship new stock until 2023!

On another site, at least 2 models were marked 'Sold. New stock expected February 2022'.

Brownhills Motorhome website says they are desperately short of stock and if you are thinking of selling your Motorhome, please telephone them!

Global Mass Production controlled by a few producers + pandemic make for unhappy bedfellows ...

Steve

Takethedogalong replied on 27/02/2021 20:42

Posted on 27/02/2021 20:42

We passed our local Marquis dealership this afternoon, lots of new MHs and caravans in there. But of course they aren’t open for sales at the moment.

Tinwheeler replied on 27/02/2021 20:48

Posted on 27/02/2021 20:42 by Takethedogalong

We passed our local Marquis dealership this afternoon, lots of new MHs and caravans in there. But of course they aren’t open for sales at the moment.

Posted on 27/02/2021 20:48

That's the best thing to do with Marquis - pass it by👍🏻

EmilysDad replied on 27/02/2021 20:51

Posted on 27/02/2021 20:09 by Takethedogalong

I think any marque could have an early problem, even the so called prestige vehicles. They are complicated bits of design and engineering nowadays, potential for something happening unforeseen is a lot greater. Gone are the days when you just thumped something with a lump hammer. Our last venture with an LR product saw us despairing with frustration, we haven’t owned one for at least ten years now.

Posted on 27/02/2021 20:51

but these are marques, prestige or otherwise, that have been fitting air bag systems to vehicles for over 20 years ... you'd have thought that they'd got it right by now. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook