Motorhome VED change 2020

PaulMoly replied on 23/11/2020 13:44

Posted on 23/11/2020 13:44

Hi members,

Is anyone aware of this petition: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/553905 ?

My wife & I are new to this club (Since Feb 2020 Caravan & Motorhome show) and also to Motorhomes.

We purchased a new vehicle on the back of a visit to the Manchester Caravan & Motorhome show back in January, the new vehicle (Elddis Vogue 196 from Spinneys) was due to be collected in March.

We were aware of the tax increase on Motorhomes from Sept 2019 and expected this to be the new norm. However, we were not aware that clubs like this - C&MC, CCC, the NCC, and Caravan Guard were actively lobbying the government to reverse the "Luxury Car" tax bracket for new motorhomes.

To get the new registration, we arranged to collect our motorhome the 1st week March. 6 days later the tax was dropped.

I realise this will not affect the majority of members but was hoping to combine the strength of this club to help fellow motorhomers like us?

By signing the petition above, it may get a response from the government. If large numbers can sign it the better chance there is.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/553905

I hope the C&MC could also publish this link in their magazine/website?

Thank you.

Paul & Polly Molyneaux

Tinwheeler replied on 23/11/2020 15:04

Posted on 23/11/2020 15:04

This club was indeed one of the bodies lobbying the Govt to reverse the decision to include MHs in the higher VED bracket and, although success was achieved, the Govt said it never makes such changes retrospective.

Although I can well understand the grievance, I honestly cannot see the Govt changing it’s mind. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Sandy Pandy replied on 19/02/2021 12:36

Posted on 19/02/2021 12:36

I agree that the government is unlikely to reverse it's decision with regards to the motorhomes caught in the timeframe for the excessive VED but I am also concerned that future rises for cars will also be applied to those vans. If the government were to re-classify those motorhomes as Private Light Goods the future increases would be lessened. This will be even more of an issue as the drive to penalise petrol and diesel powered vehicles develops 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook