Motorhome with Wastemaster

hitchglitch replied on 25/10/2017 11:15

Posted on 25/10/2017 11:15

As a comparative newby to motorhomes (30 years as a caravanner) I am always curious about what other people do, without being deliberately nosey I hasten to add! On a Club site at the weekend (very rare for us) the small motorhome next to us (about 6m maximum) had a Wastemaster under the waste tank outlet.  I cannot for the life of me imagine why anybody would do that so perhaps somebody could enlighten me?  Am I missing a trick? As I was anti-Wastemaster anyway with the caravan, finding them too big and bulky, I wonder where it would be stored in transit and what the advantage might be.

old ludlovian replied on 12/11/2019 12:37

Posted on 12/11/2019 12:37

We now use a bucket and empty on regular basis . after a two days on our first trip to dordogne using waste tank there a really awful smell in m/home  .and it took ages to clean and get rid of  the smell .now empty about 10 litres of fresh water and cleaning agent .into waste tank let that slosh about in tank .empty when we get home .no more smell thanks to advice of fellow m/ homers

ABM replied on 12/11/2019 17:30

Posted on 25/10/2017 20:32 by brue

You are right EasyT, if we're on a site for any length of time we just empty and fill as required using the nearest ordinary service points. On off site rallies and some CLs there are no M/H points anyway so we adjust to whatever is there. We always arrive with an empty waste tank and a full water tank so we don't do a lot of emptying and filling.

Posted on 12/11/2019 17:30

AS you say, Brue, even some Club sites etc have no facilities smile and there is some sort of nursery rhyme about them  !!

The drain / refill point at my favourite Scottish site is at the top of the bank and, even tho' I will be on and off site I'll NEVER dump waste grey water just because it's convenient.  Up and down the grassy bank does keep my sugar levels in limits wink

EmilysDad replied on 12/11/2019 17:56

Posted on 12/11/2019 12:37 by old ludlovian

We now use a bucket and empty on regular basis . after a two days on our first trip to dordogne using waste tank there a really awful smell in m/home  .and it took ages to clean and get rid of  the smell .now empty about 10 litres of fresh water and cleaning agent .into waste tank let that slosh about in tank .empty when we get home .no more smell thanks to advice of fellow m/ homers

Posted on 12/11/2019 17:56

I tried the bucket method with our caravan when we we away the other week .... I couldn't keep up, it was almost always full (and some). As it was, the field was sodden so another couple of gallons didn't really make much difference.

Apperley replied on 12/11/2019 21:09

Posted on 12/11/2019 21:09

I use a wastemaster and also have a 25 litre fresh water container as well. The wastemaster is handy if there is frost or below zero temps. I can get the water out of my system. Also saves me moving the MH when waste tank is full, but the main reason is I don't want to queue at the MH service point on arrival to fill up and certainly not queue to empty my waste when I'm ready to leave. This way I can fill and empty at my leisure.

Also, if wild camping I have the benefit of extra portable tanks to take more fresh and hold more grey water until I can empty and fill.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook