Mouse in my motorhome

Adrian Allaway replied on 28/01/2020 17:41

Posted on 28/01/2020 17:41

I have just collected my panel van motorhome (Devon Aztec) from its annual habitation service and they told me there is evidence of rodent entry with minor damage under the seating in the rear lounge. They said they might be nesting in there?. They advised clearing all the furnishings and fittings out until the culprits have been caught and disposed of. This is a completely new problem to me so I would be grateful for any advice on i) how to deal with the current problem and ii) how to stop it re-occurring. My engineers brother works in pest control and said using peanut butter on traps is one way of catching them. What other options are there.

My van is used regularly between Spring and Autumn but during Winter I don't really touch it when it is in storage. I normally just lift the seat cushions up to allow a bit of air flow as advised.

Thanks for any suggestions.

replied on 29/01/2020 10:27

Posted on 28/01/2020 19:14 by Dave Nicholson

We’ve  lived in a rambling circa 1700s farm house for many years now  and the annual autumn influx of numerous mice is more of an irritation these days. There are traps and traps but the most effective are the wooden “little nipper” traps. They will spring on smaller as well as larger mice. The metal traps are more difficult to set and not worth the hassle. Set the nipper traps so that they’re on the point of springing after you’ve set the bait. Cumbrian mice are partial to milk chocolate. I’ve never tried peanut butter but that’s not to say it’s less effective. Loose bait like Pasta Bait should be avoided because if the creature dies in an inaccessible place it will be difficult to eradicate the smell. 

If its rats you will get the best results with a dog but I’d be surprised if a rat was living in your motorhome unless you leave food laying around. 

It’s important to wipe and disinfect ALL surfaces since mice have little control of their bladder. 

On a lighter note, don’t worry, they wont stay for long when the weather improves.

Posted on 29/01/2020 10:27

A friend of mine lived in a large 3 storey Victorian house. One winter she was overrun with mice. I got a friend in with his 3 ferrets and two Jack Russells. No more mice.

Hakinbush replied on 29/01/2020 10:41

Posted on 29/01/2020 10:21 by ADP1963

Monitor the situation  closely.....night & day

Hire a Kestrel & a Barn Owl or tame it and use it with your computer

wink

Posted on 29/01/2020 10:41

Oh very droll..

replied on 29/01/2020 11:18

Posted on 28/01/2020 21:22 by mickysf

I suffered with mice nesting too and chewing through the fuel injector wiring. Managed to do a home repair mind for pence when the dealer quoted hundreds of pounds to replace the whole cabling. However, 'over there' martens are a real problem under the bonnet. They cause far more damage than our rodents. Approaching €100m on car insurance repairs last year.

Posted on 29/01/2020 11:18

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

viatorem replied on 02/02/2020 10:17

Posted on 02/02/2020 10:17

Need to ensure all vents are protected with metal mesh to prevent recurrence.

Just wondering if anyone has had a mouse in their Knausfoot-in-mouth

ABM replied on 02/02/2020 13:51

Posted on 02/02/2020 10:17 by viatorem

Need to ensure all vents are protected with metal mesh to prevent recurrence.

Just wondering if anyone has had a mouse in their Knausfoot-in-mouth

Posted on 02/02/2020 13:51

I think that incident was first recorded by a  Trappist Monk  !!sealed

Mr OrangeTree replied on 03/02/2020 10:40

Posted on 03/02/2020 10:40

We had some mouse damage in our previous van.  Thankfully nothing expensive. 

We checked it thoroughly, because obviously getting your motor home eaten is not a good thing.  

We actually changed our storage arrangements partly because of this, but for a while put tumble dryer sheets in the van as apparently it puts the mice off.

Example here.

It possibly is a complete urban myth!

SeeFarers replied on 21/02/2020 14:33

Posted on 21/02/2020 14:33

I have also had this issue and my advice is based on this. 

STOP BAITING.

If the rodents got in without any food being available but for shelter, then seal all access points.  Using bait will ATTRACT rodents.

Think about it.

ABM replied on 21/02/2020 15:55

Posted on 21/02/2020 15:55

Not quite sure how we check if they only came in for shelter undecided so crawl round, under etc the various parts of van & seal as suggested with strong wire mesh. Then Bait away merrily both inside & outside to catch any vermin that have taken up residence but can no longer escape as well as any relatives that want to pay 'em a visitlaughing

replied on 21/02/2020 16:21

Posted on 21/02/2020 16:21

They cause far more damage than our rodents. Approaching €100m on car insurance repairs last year.

Pretty sure that in UK rodent damage is excluded from car insurance.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook