New Fiat 9-speed auto box

young thomas replied on 04/01/2020 09:41

Posted on 04/01/2020 09:41

had some time to kill at a dealer's yesterday and was invited to take out a new van with the latest Fiat auto box....9-speed torque converter unit not the robotised manual...and did about ten miles in it...

found it very smooth but, being a 9 speeder, the bottom couple of gears are pretty low, which means that moving away from junctions or roundabouts sees a couple of upchanges in just a short distance.

may be something you get used to but seemed like i wanted to put my foot down a bit more than in my manual 6 speeder...

however, sure to be a popular option.

mickysf replied on 04/01/2020 19:47

Posted on 04/01/2020 19:47

Sound good to me, just a case of getting used to the vehicle's brain optimising appropriate gearing. 

As an aside I'd often wondered why some manufacturer has not developed a CVT system like that once used by Daf. 

lornalou1 replied on 04/01/2020 22:12

Posted on 04/01/2020 22:12

these new fx gearboxes have to learn the way the driver drives (sounds stupid I know) but a pal had one and he drove on  daily basis and when wife drove she said was horrible to use. he did like to put his foot down. my 8 speeder in the jeep is brilliant.  

EmilysDad replied on 04/01/2020 23:50

Posted on 04/01/2020 19:47 by mickysf

Sound good to me, just a case of getting used to the vehicle's brain optimising appropriate gearing. 

As an aside I'd often wondered why some manufacturer has not developed a CVT system like that once used by Daf. 

Posted on 04/01/2020 23:50

Ford used the DAF Variomatic type of gearbox years ago in their Fiesta .... I've had the misfortune to encounter this type of variable drive at work but fortunately industry has moved away from this kind of drive in favour of direct drive & electrickery

ocsid replied on 30/01/2020 19:52

Posted on 30/01/2020 19:52

Are not Peugeot motorhome base vehicles just a rebranded Fiat?

If so then technically Fiat ought to be able to put their licenced built ZF 9HP auto into that.

Therefore I expect it is all down to a branding decision if they see the Peugeot buyer as sufficiently an auto box person, or leave the auto as a premium feature of the Fiat brand.

Tinwheeler replied on 30/01/2020 20:22

Posted on 30/01/2020 19:52 by ocsid

Are not Peugeot motorhome base vehicles just a rebranded Fiat?

If so then technically Fiat ought to be able to put their licenced built ZF 9HP auto into that.

Therefore I expect it is all down to a branding decision if they see the Peugeot buyer as sufficiently an auto box person, or leave the auto as a premium feature of the Fiat brand.

Posted on 30/01/2020 20:22

It’s my understanding that until recently they were separate companies and elements of the vehicles, such as electronics, differed. It wasn’t simply a rebadging job.

Now that Peugeot/Citroen/Opel/Vauxhall have merged with Fiat, there’s a feeling in the industry that the 9 speed auto will probably be used by all, or so I’m told.

Takethedogalong replied on 30/01/2020 20:34

Posted on 30/01/2020 20:34

Our Wrangler learns the terrain, as well as the driver. It performs quite differently after a trip to Dartmoor for a while after we return. Clever stuff!

ocsid replied on 30/01/2020 21:01

Posted on 30/01/2020 21:01

How long, or over what distance does this learning take place so the characteristics of earlier would not be there and the new matched nature be in place?

Takethedogalong replied on 31/01/2020 09:59

Posted on 31/01/2020 09:59

OH usually mutters for a couple of days after we get back from climbing hills, but only if we are back to shorter trips around home. You can hear/feel the car hunting for best gear, but once you help it along a couple of times, it soon gets the message. We have long, big hills around us, Dartmoor tends to be short and sharper, more twists and turns. 

hitchglitch replied on 31/01/2020 12:25

Posted on 04/01/2020 14:45 by DavidKlyne

I wonder if Peugeot will ever get round to having an automatic box? Perhaps they are just waiting for electric vans to become common place as I imagine they will have auto boxes. Good that Fiat have taken the plunge with a proper automatic. Have driven automatic cars for the last 14 years and absolutely no wish to go back to a manual. As our current motorhome is less that a year old I suspect we won't be in the market for a new van anytime soon.

David

Posted on 31/01/2020 12:25

Just to clarify, electric vehicles don't have gear boxes, neither manual nor auto although there may be a single fixed cog to get the transmission speed correct. That’s one of the numerous advantages of EVs - no combustion engine, fuel system, exhaust, gearbox etc. Speed is controlled by the electronics supplying the motor. Unfortunately battery operated motorhomes present a lot of challenges for present battery technology so I don’t think we will see them as viable options for some time.

Back on topic, yes, it’s a bit annoying that Peugeot don't do an auto box although personally I am happy with a manual on the motorhome despite not having owned a manual car for about 40 years.

viatorem replied on 01/02/2020 11:01

Posted on 01/02/2020 11:01

This box has been around since approx 2014 introduced in Jeep and the land rover mid size SUVs. I have found my 2014 Jeep version to be reliable. The box seems to try and keep rpm between 1500-2000. Good for economy I guess 70 mph on the motorway is 1600 rpm. Will even get into 9th towing 1550kg on the level at 60. The engine is the fiat jtdII so sounds similar to the new van. My all up towing train weight is around 3.5t I get 23-28mpg depending on wind/terrain towing at legal max speeds.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook