Solar panels

theflyer replied on 16/08/2019 15:01

Posted on 16/08/2019 15:01

Hi everyone,

I have just purchased a 2013 apache 632 motor home. I am thinking of fitting a solar panel to it.

On the control box it does show a solar panel symbol. My question is would I be able to wire the solar panel into it?

Ken

DavidKlyne replied on 17/08/2019 15:54

Posted on 17/08/2019 15:54

Ken

I think you would have to establish whether the reading on the control panel is just an indication of the charge going into the battery. If the van didn't originally have a solar panel I can't imagine the manufacturer would have installed a solar panel controller. I have on my new motorhome a solar panel and a separate Truma controller. It is capable of sending a charge to both the leisure battery and the cab battery but Bailey in their tight fistedness only connected it to the leisure battery!!! 

David

JollyKernow replied on 17/08/2019 16:27

Posted on 17/08/2019 16:27

Hi

Your PSU, charger and control panel will have been from Sargent Electrical. They have an informative website with many manuals and diagrams. They also have a really good technical helpline. I've used them this year with great success. Some vans come prewired for solar and have a socket available in the psu. 

JK

brue replied on 17/08/2019 18:54

Posted on 17/08/2019 18:54

Ours was pre-wired, OH added a 100w panel to the roof and a new switch, it has all worked well and we can see the charge levels on the main control panel.

young thomas replied on 18/08/2019 16:53

Posted on 17/08/2019 16:27 by JollyKernow

Hi

Your PSU, charger and control panel will have been from Sargent Electrical. They have an informative website with many manuals and diagrams. They also have a really good technical helpline. I've used them this year with great success. Some vans come prewired for solar and have a socket available in the psu. 

JK

Posted on 18/08/2019 16:53

just to add to JK's useful post...

we had a 2010 Swift which also had Sargent electrics. the solar was pre-wired and the 'open' end was in a cupboard above the drivers seat.

the other end of the cable was plugged into the PSU in 'socket 14' if my memory serves me correctly.

some Sargent PSUs have a regulator built in, and logic which can divert charge to both leisure and vehicle batteries.

OTOH, you may need to supply your own regulator, check with Sargent as advised.

if you do require a regulator, go for a MPPT one, gives a better charge from the available sunlight, add a fuse and go for a panel no smaller than 100w.

good luck.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook