Speed limits

ymmot replied on 09/09/2020 19:00

Posted on 09/09/2020 19:00

I have searched, without success, for more detail on UK speed limits. We have a motorhome over 3050kg so from the governmnet website I can see that we can do 30 in a 30, 50mph on single carriageways with national speed limit, 60mph on a dual carraigeway and 70 on motorways. My issue is on single carraige ways with 40 and 50mph limits and dual carriage ways with reduced speeds, there is one near us where the limit is reduced to 50mph. Also on the A17 there are several areas where the national speed limit on this single carriage way is replaced with a 60mph sign, What speed should we do here? Please could someone produce a comprehensive list for all classes of vehicles and road spped limits.

I have tried the government but had no reply. They are a lot quicker when they want tax out of us.

Colin

JVB66 replied on 14/09/2020 14:48

Posted on 14/09/2020 14:48

The reason they are on the A17 according to Norfolk cc highways is that after some accidents at  some junctions that have a grass strip "refuge" in the middle of the road it "confused?"some drivers? who thought it was a dual carriageway?surprisedfrown

They have/are being installed at similar areas throughout the UKundecided

Even if only for a short distance, with an NSL sign at end of such  sectionsundecided

ps It is the result of a coroners inquest 

Vulcan replied on 14/09/2020 14:53

Posted on 14/09/2020 14:25 by JVB66

There are more than one and not on any dual carriageway that i remembersurprised

Posted on 14/09/2020 14:53

You are correct in inasmuch as there are several sections with a 60mph sign however having looked on Google Earth again they are all on short sections of dual carriageway.

Vulcan replied on 14/09/2020 14:59

Posted on 14/09/2020 14:48 by JVB66

The reason they are on the A17 according to Norfolk cc highways is that after some accidents at  some junctions that have a grass strip "refuge" in the middle of the road it "confused?"some drivers? who thought it was a dual carriageway?surprisedfrown

They have/are being installed at similar areas throughout the UKundecided

Even if only for a short distance, with an NSL sign at end of such  sectionsundecided

ps It is the result of a coroners inquest 

Posted on 14/09/2020 14:59

"some junctions that have a grass strip "refuge" in the middle of the road it "confused?"some drivers? who thought it was a dual carriageway".

What is confusing, it is a dual carriageway!

ymmot replied on 16/09/2020 22:57

Posted on 16/09/2020 22:57

Hate to think what the content was that was removed considering what’s left. DK’s link to the government website is exactly the one I referenced in my post. It does not say anything about single carriageway speeds other than 30mph and all vehicles are allowed to do 30mph. Do we take it that all single carriageway speeds are the same?

The Highway Code is essential for all drivers and as a member of the Advanced Motorist is something I abide by.

Rule 124 says you must not exceed the limits as dictated in speed limit table. This table has less information than the list on the government website and does not mention the unladen weight conditions.

Rule 125 states the limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to do so.

Rule 146 says you should adapt your driving to the appropriate type and condition of the road.

Rule152 is about residential streets and driving slowly.

Rule 257 is about motorway signals and amber flashing lights which are warning of a hazard ahead.

Rule 261 states you must not exceed 70mph or the maximum speed limit permitted for your vehicle as specified in the speed limits table which is pretty vague.

Rule 288 is about roadworks and states, amongst other points, you must not exceed any temporary maximum speed limit.

The Highway Code I am referencing is the 2015 print, If there is a newer version which clarifies this point please let me know.

Vulcan. This was a beautifully designed machine built for a purpose which thankfully it was never called to fore fill. It was graceful in flight and made lots of noise with the distinctive howl on fully throttle. As has been stated the changes on the A17 were put into place because drivers were getting confused that a road with a strip of land separating opposing carriageways is not necessarily a dual carriageway. It is only a dual carriageway if designated as one with signs  leading up to it stating that the toad ahead will develop into a dual carriageway.

Am I any the wiser, no, because no one as answered the original question. Like must forums to many people who feel they need to say something when they are just showing the rest what they shouldn’t.

Moderators, if you feel the need to remove this, feel free. I won’t be back to see if it stays or goes as you haven’t bothered answering my question I don’t see why I should bother. Looking on this forum and others this and similar questions have been asked before and either there has been the same drivel spouted or nothing. I will continue to try and get the information I require and when I do I will publish somewhere.

Tinwheeler replied on 16/09/2020 23:08

Posted on 16/09/2020 23:08

It's not the moderators' job to answer your question. They are volunteers here to keep the forum tidy with a bit of housekeeping. There's no point in having a go at someone who is probably no more expert than you.

Contact somebody at HQ if you want information.

Vulcan replied on 17/09/2020 02:36

Posted on 17/09/2020 02:36

You are over thinking it ymmot. Put simply the absolute maximum speed your vehicle is allowed on a single carriageway road is 50mph irrespective of what the sign says, If the limit is lower than 60 you have to adhere to to the stated limit. I hope this answers your question.

Regarding the A17 a dual carriageway is still a dual carriageway even if if does not have a sign and the requirement for a dual carriageway ahead sign is specifically not applied to dual carriageways less than 400m long as many are on the A17.

JVB66 replied on 17/09/2020 09:45

Posted on 14/09/2020 14:59 by Vulcan

"some junctions that have a grass strip "refuge" in the middle of the road it "confused?"some drivers? who thought it was a dual carriageway".

What is confusing, it is a dual carriageway!

Posted on 17/09/2020 09:45

No it is not undecided

Suzy65 replied on 31/10/2021 17:27

Posted on 09/09/2020 19:00 by ymmot

I have searched, without success, for more detail on UK speed limits. We have a motorhome over 3050kg so from the governmnet website I can see that we can do 30 in a 30, 50mph on single carriageways with national speed limit, 60mph on a dual carraigeway and 70 on motorways. My issue is on single carraige ways with 40 and 50mph limits and dual carriage ways with reduced speeds, there is one near us where the limit is reduced to 50mph. Also on the A17 there are several areas where the national speed limit on this single carriage way is replaced with a 60mph sign, What speed should we do here? Please could someone produce a comprehensive list for all classes of vehicles and road spped limits.

I have tried the government but had no reply. They are a lot quicker when they want tax out of us.

Colin

Posted on 31/10/2021 17:27

As far as I’m aware the deregulated speed is actual. Meaning that the 50mph is 50mph and not (stated speed limit minus 10mph). A useful page on the RAC site can be found Here 

Also - for anyone with a converted panel van which is registered on their logbook as a light goods vehicle will be fined if caught going over 50MPH on single lane roads. To avoid this it is possible to get the van re registered to a motorhome by contacting the DVLC.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook