System error E517H on truma system

GailD15 replied on 18/09/2020 07:55

Posted on 18/09/2020 07:55

Hi, we’ve not has this happen before...on the panel for the Truma heating/power etc system on our Swift Freestyle 612 motorhome, a red system error Notice has come up. I have seen that other motorhomers have said leave the system for 15 minutes before trying to redo anything, I’ve left it overnight but still can’t get my heating or hot water to work. The gas wasn’t switched on but is now and we’ve checked that water runs through the hot water taps. 
Any help or advice would be appreciated, thank you

replied on 18/09/2020 08:50

Posted on 18/09/2020 08:50

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Kevguzzi007 replied on 07/05/2021 14:27

Posted on 18/09/2020 08:50 by

Hi Gail

I have this boiler fitted in my caravan and encountered this fault code on our first trip out. It has been caused by your system being set to use gas (or gas and electric) when the gas either ran out or had been isolated .

To clear it you need to remove a small cover off the top of the boiler that exposes a circuit board. Next to a small flashing light you will find a reset switch. Press and hold in for a few seconds to create a "hard reset" It may take several attempts

Good luck we were in Spain and it was snowing when we had our problem. I make absolutely sure now that it isn't defaulting to gas if we have the gas turned off.

The sketch below shows the access to the reset

NB Ignore the reference to 12 Volt as its the same reset switch for several faults

Truma Combi E no hot water on electric - Caravan Water - Caravan Talk322 × 392

Posted on 07/05/2021 14:27

Cheers mate..worked a treat

young thomas replied on 09/05/2021 08:47

Posted on 09/05/2021 08:47

just to add to Davids informative post...

the unit will error if any of the power sources (LPG, 230v, 12v) os removed from the the unit prior to shutting down the unit at the CP Plus control panel.

try and get into the habit of turning the Combi OFF (press and hold control knob for 5 seconds or so) prior to disconnecting mains or turning off the gas.

even turning the vans control panel off (and removing 12v from the Combi) should be avoided.

SeasideBill replied on 09/05/2021 10:37

Posted on 09/05/2021 10:37

I sometimes wonder if the brand name ‘Truma’ is a derivative of the word ‘Trauma’. I’ve had several problems with my Combi this year: intermittent fault with12v supply that nobody seems able to fix and connectivity problems between bluetooth devices, also seemingly without solution.

young thomas replied on 09/05/2021 19:58

Posted on 09/05/2021 19:58

although my CP Plus model is "Inet ready" i dont have the extra module and therefore dont have any connectivity issues...

i had 6 years in two Swifts with pre CP Plus versions and only ever had one blown fuse and one reset (red button) needed...

since then, in the past 6 years in two German vans (same brand) ive had two CP Plus models and have never had a reset and just one error where i turned off the 12v before closing down the Combi.

i read on other forums where plenty of owners do have a Truma-tic time of things but im pretty convinced that poor installation (sometime totally ignoring Truma's instructions) and too much electronic integration (think 'Command/Harmony' type overarching systems) seems to me to be unnecessary and too complex.

my own view from over a dozen years of using Combis is that they are great units but need a little understanding (many dont understand how 'mix' fuel works) and a little respect (dont remove any power source prior to turning the unit OFF).

SeasideBill replied on 09/05/2021 20:48

Posted on 09/05/2021 19:58 by young thomas

although my CP Plus model is "Inet ready" i dont have the extra module and therefore dont have any connectivity issues...

i had 6 years in two Swifts with pre CP Plus versions and only ever had one blown fuse and one reset (red button) needed...

since then, in the past 6 years in two German vans (same brand) ive had two CP Plus models and have never had a reset and just one error where i turned off the 12v before closing down the Combi.

i read on other forums where plenty of owners do have a Truma-tic time of things but im pretty convinced that poor installation (sometime totally ignoring Truma's instructions) and too much electronic integration (think 'Command/Harmony' type overarching systems) seems to me to be unnecessary and too complex.

my own view from over a dozen years of using Combis is that they are great units but need a little understanding (many dont understand how 'mix' fuel works) and a little respect (dont remove any power source prior to turning the unit OFF).

Posted on 09/05/2021 20:48

First 3 years experience of Combi with a professional installation was fine, everything worked fine and was reliable. Last year it all started to go south, connectivity problems with new iPhone 11 & SE products, eventually fixed but took a long while. They’ve just updated the App and same old problems are back! Also, Combi just cuts out when it feels like it and Truma service agents can’t find anything wrong with it! I no longer have confidence in the Combi and might junk the lot in preparation for a more reliable system for next winter! 

kenexton replied on 10/05/2021 06:14

Posted on 10/05/2021 06:14

I can operate our Truma through my mobile phone quite easily and I updated the App this week with no issues.I stick to basic functions,being a simple bloke.The wall control baffles me and I have to call for my wife to help when it does unexpected things.Peering myopically at little black symbols on a grey background does not help me get to grips with the system;too clever by half for me.

The previous version in our 2009 built van was easy for me to use as it had physical  dials and things👍

My wife delights in fiddling with the intricacies of the Harmony System on our AS by setting timer, sending it SMS messages etcetera -much to my irritation.Not much fun having a cold shower because Pandora has been "opening the box of horrors" again and has broken what did not need fixing in the first place!

replied on 10/05/2021 08:19

Posted on 10/05/2021 08:19

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SteveL replied on 10/05/2021 08:57

Posted on 10/05/2021 08:19 by

I dont think ours has a facility to be operated by phone but I wouldn't use it if it did.  I find it complex enough just  turning it on and off especially as there are two panels where it can be done from and dont  get me started on the lightsundecided

Posted on 10/05/2021 08:57

I believe ours can if I pay for a module. It says iNet ready on it. However, I can’t really see any point. It’s just above the door in a convenient place to operate, we have just the one panel. Although I have turned of 240 volt before switching it off and not turned on the gas before requesting its use, so far the error codes have disappeared once the supply is provided. Not done the 12 volt yet, although our panel stays on even if the 12 volt to the rest of the van is turned off, so not sure if it would be an issue.🤞

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook