Transition from caravan to motorhome

billyandbobby replied on 06/01/2020 21:21

Posted on 06/01/2020 21:21

Hello, I am hoping that fellow motorhomers will be able to give us some useful tips. After many, many years of caravanning we have now taken the plunge and bought a new motorhome. However, after our first season we are seriously thinking of going back to a caravan as we really miss having the car with us (we know this would be financially very painful ๐Ÿ˜ฉ). We love the motorhome itself and have chosen the size/layout that is perfect for us. We have been thinking about our travels last year and think, perhaps, we are still thinking like caravanners i.e. we book a site and stay there. Any tips much appreciated e.g. planning multiple stops, how to find out if good public transport nearby, useful websites for motorhome tours/information etc. Cheers 

mickysf replied on 30/01/2020 09:01

Posted on 30/01/2020 09:01

Didn't mention this before but we found one significant change for us came about soon after our swap to a motorcaravan and the realisation that gettaways were so much easier.  Being able to store the MC on our driveway helped and it was constantly maintained at the ready with at least two meals on board, clothing and other essentials. This meant that the decision to 'go' for an impromptu night or weekend was always there and we could be on the road within seconds of arriving home from work. We had several favourite CLs within at most an hours drive which helped, a couple close to excellent pubs and restaurants, one connected to a pub and one on a fishing lake. We even, on occasions, would take advantage of a spell of particularly good weather and off we'd go and then commute to work from the campsite. Had some fabulous summer evenings walking the dog and just chilling. Made the working week so much more appealing. 

billyandbobby replied on 30/01/2020 20:38

Posted on 30/01/2020 09:01 by mickysf

Didn't mention this before but we found one significant change for us came about soon after our swap to a motorcaravan and the realisation that gettaways were so much easier.  Being able to store the MC on our driveway helped and it was constantly maintained at the ready with at least two meals on board, clothing and other essentials. This meant that the decision to 'go' for an impromptu night or weekend was always there and we could be on the road within seconds of arriving home from work. We had several favourite CLs within at most an hours drive which helped, a couple close to excellent pubs and restaurants, one connected to a pub and one on a fishing lake. We even, on occasions, would take advantage of a spell of particularly good weather and off we'd go and then commute to work from the campsite. Had some fabulous summer evenings walking the dog and just chilling. Made the working week so much more appealing. 

Posted on 30/01/2020 20:38

Yes definitely agree with the easy get away compared to the caravan...that is a big plus! 

rayjsj replied on 01/02/2020 12:15

Posted on 11/01/2020 17:33 by derekcyril

It does fit ,what happens when cars park either side ? Have you got sliding doors ?

Posted on 01/02/2020 12:15

Yes, A sliding door, with a slide out step. So no need to open the cab doors.

If someone parks really tight either side we always have the rear doors. We manage anyway.

JVB66 replied on 02/02/2020 09:59

Posted on 30/01/2020 09:01 by mickysf

Posted on 02/02/2020 09:59

We used to do that when we worked in London ,come to Ferry Meadows on the Thursday and commute to work on the Friday,which used to then miss the rest of the weekenders arriving on the Fridaysurprised

It was easy as the car was left in the staff carpark at Peterborough station.wink

Mr OrangeTree replied on 03/02/2020 10:43

Posted on 03/02/2020 10:43

This is, potentially, one of the biggest impacts of making the trip to a van.

I love a van, and I actually love the fact that I don't have a car with me.  It has forced me to walk massively more than I used to, and also to explore smaller areas more intensely.  I no longer camp in Yorkshire and pop to the Lake District for a day out.  

I guess this is an issue only you can decide.  If walking, for health reasons, is not an option, then you have a simply choice.

1.  Tow a small car.
2.  Go back to a caravan.  Personally, in that circumstance, I would do this. 

mickysf replied on 03/02/2020 12:57

Posted on 03/02/2020 12:57

Or 4......,,,

Many years ago, when electric bikes first became available, I tried one out. It was okay but the range was not that fabulous and battery longevity not that great so put this idea out of my mind. Recently a friend was going on about how much they have evolved and how much better they are today. He lent me his for the afternoon. Wow, what a change and so easy to use/ride. If you can still balance even the just slightly less mobile like me would manage one all day I would think. I may even consider this option again. After all, anything to keep us going in the great outdoors into later life can only be a good thing, can't it?

Mr OrangeTree replied on 04/02/2020 11:44

Posted on 03/02/2020 12:40 by Takethedogalong

or 3. Donโ€™t buy such a big MH๐Ÿ˜

Posted on 04/02/2020 11:44

This, I think, will be our next move.  Although our current van is not huge, by current standards, I reckon I will squeeze into something smaller. 

SeeFarers replied on 21/02/2020 14:24

Posted on 21/02/2020 14:24

It is clear from all the comments and our own experience that the best choice of outfit is dependant on many factors.  We have enjoyed most forms, from tenting with an MG Midget when we were first married to a Bedford CF campervan, an Eriba caravan, then of all things a Winnebago RV towing a car (on a trailer) to finally, as a retired couple, a Swift 8.1 metre motorhome (still, occasionally with a car on a trailer). 

We use the car on specific tours when we are visiting friends and family around the UK although we have taken it with the RV to the Continent.  Otherwise, we are happy to use our bikes, walk or use public transport when available.

The shear convienience for us to arrive on site in any weather, warm and cosy, pull on the handbrake and put the kettle on far outweighs the alternatives.  We can then be entertained by those nearby who take considerable more time to set up (you know who you are!).

However, the important factors that allow or restrain ones choice of outfit are many.  The number in the party who can drive perhaps, the physical fitness or age will play a part, the type of driving licence(s) held, the means to store or park the outfit, the budget to buy/maintain/insure it before the personal preference of floorplan/features is considered.  And these can change over time in our experience.

At no time did any of our camping choices limit us to where we went and luckily maybe, we never had an issue on narrow lanes with our large outfits.  We came to realise that HGV milk tankers and large horse boxes use narrow lanes too, and they seem to manage.

We will tend to avoid the service points at camp sites when there is a queue.  An Aquaroll with portable external Whale pump is usually quicker in this situation and a waste trolley likewise. In any case our present outfit will happily travel with suffient fresh water to avoid the need to load up immediatly upon arrival anyway.

We have yet to change to electric bikes and I have read with envy some of the comments posted on this topic.  We are of an age when these would be an asset but realise they are heavier and will need accommodating/lifting onto bike racks.

I hope these comments help B&B consider there future decision(s) and I wish them safe travels.

billyandbobby replied on 21/02/2020 20:37

Posted on 21/02/2020 20:37

Mickysf, your post encouraged us to look at electric bikes ... I also had one years ago and it wasn’t that great. Have just been for a couple of test rides and couldn’t agree more that they seem to have come a long way. WOW!!! All I can say is hills? What hills? Am just looking to order one and hope this will make a big difference to us getting around ... ๐Ÿคž 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook