Tyre pressures for a 2004 Eldiss Autoquest 400

vbfg replied on 19/07/2019 15:31

Posted on 19/07/2019 15:31

Has anyone any idea of the tyre pressures for the above as I am getting conflicting reports from various tyre outlets and garages and trying to find out on the internet is just as bad! The Peugeot booklet does not give any recommendation and a label on the van says 72 psi but surely that is too high and a different label says something completely different as well!

hitchglitch replied on 19/07/2019 18:26

Posted on 19/07/2019 18:26

Motorhome tyre pressures are very confusing but the simplest way is to check the tyre make and sizes and get manufacturers data. For example, if they are Continental Vanco the data sheets are available on line for different axle weights. If not they will respond to email queries.

Of course, you must have fully laden axle weights front and rear so if you haven’t done so I would advise visiting a weighbridge. Council ones are free if you don't want the printed ticket. Failing that, use the maximum axle weights quoted by the motorhome manufacturer.

Weights inside the cab usually refer to the base vehicle (Boxer etc.) and should be disregarded. Vanco tyres have maximum pressures related to the American market and should also be disregarded. As I say, confusing!

KeithandMargaret replied on 20/07/2019 08:25

Posted on 20/07/2019 08:25

You need to know the front and rear axle weights and it is common sense to get it weighed, preferably in 'holiday' mode when fully laden (around £5 to use a local weighbridge), before adjusting your tyre pressures.

Any guesswork will mean your tyres probably won't last as long and may wear unevenly.

With the tyres I have fitted - Continental (225/70 R 15C 112/110) - on my Pilote on a Ducato base and with front axle 1560kg and rear axle 1940kg, confirmed fully laden by a weighbridge, the recommended pressures are 47psi front and 61psi rear.

Michelin have always recommended the maximum pressure in their tyres, and many of you will continue to take their advice, but those who have actually weighed their vehicles and reduced pressures will know what a big difference to ride and comfort is achieved.

I'm never sure why Motorhomes are run at the tyres maximum, usually 80psi, which gives a harsh ride and on many roads could dislodge your false teeth and certainly rattle the chassis with the hard tyres and no 'give'.

Everyone has an opinion on tyre pressures but my Pilote has run well with minimal tyre wear over 30.000 miles and there's no reason why yours shouldn't do the same with similar pressures.

Hope this helps.

young thomas replied on 20/07/2019 20:21

Posted on 20/07/2019 20:21

...but they're not the tyre manufacturers recommended pressures...

and they are likely to be 79/80 all round....not at all pleasant.

even my small car has different recommended pressures for 'two up' or 'four up', so weight is a factor even there...so should definitely be part of a MH's tyre set up.

using a weighbridge and the Continental chart as mentioned, mine runs at 43 front, 54 rear.....a significant (and far more comfortable) difference.

hitchglitch replied on 21/07/2019 08:47

Posted on 21/07/2019 08:47

Here is the data for my Autosleepers on Boxer base and my weighbridge results which I keep in my Notes file on-line:

Tyres Continental Vanco 215/70/R15 CP 109R (CP = Camper)

Front pressure for up to 1520kg = 3.25 bar (47.1 psi)

Rear pressure for up to 1985kg = 5.25 bar (76.1 psi)

Weights fully laden 100% water, 25 litre waste, full fuel, full toilet flush, 2 people. 

Front 1500kg, rear 1940kg.

I should mention that I run higher than this at the front otherwise the Tyre Pressure warning comes on and it cannot be changed easily. Another topic!

cyberyacht replied on 21/07/2019 17:57

Posted on 21/07/2019 17:57

I'm stuck with the sensors set at 4.5 and 5 which, like you is more than actually required. Even more irritating is that my rear axle load is less than the front even with E-Bikes and all the other stuff in the garage.

chasncath replied on 21/07/2019 18:45

Posted on 21/07/2019 18:45

Way back in 2004 when we acquired our 2002 hymer 3.5 tonne 'Swing', one of my new worries was what tyre pressures and how do I check and top them up! My old Halfords Foot pump was the answer. I contacted Michelin via their website and gave them the axle weights from the vehicle plate: "60 front, 65 rear" was the reply with "get it weighed and we may be able to recommend softer pressures".

Since then we've stuck with their figures, even when we changed to Continental CP. Continental agreed with the Michelin settings when I contacted them.

Our van has since clocked up an additional 150,000 miles on top of the 20,000 when we bought it. In the years when we would travel 10,000 miles a year, we always got about 40,000 miles out of each set of tyres.

Recently, we bought a complete new set which should see us, and the 'van, out!

young thomas replied on 24/07/2019 19:28

Posted on 20/07/2019 20:21 by young thomas

...but they're not the tyre manufacturers recommended pressures...

and they are likely to be 79/80 all round....not at all pleasant.

even my small car has different recommended pressures for 'two up' or 'four up', so weight is a factor even there...so should definitely be part of a MH's tyre set up.

using a weighbridge and the Continental chart as mentioned, mine runs at 43 front, 54 rear.....a significant (and far more comfortable) difference.

Posted on 24/07/2019 19:28

found my 'manufacturers figures' yesterday when I opened the fuel filler flap.....79.9 psi all round........Oi, Fiat......Noooooooooooo!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook