Which engine is better for motorhome

Elsa replied on 23/11/2016 10:49

Posted on 23/11/2016 10:49

Hi All, We are hoping to buy a motorhome in the near future, but at first we are learning about them, weight/layout/make of model, Do note that the Fiat Ducato have their fair share of problem, is the Peugeot model any better? We do like the Auto Trail and Auto Sleeper model, Thanks Elsa

DavidKlyne replied on 08/05/2021 15:29

Posted on 08/05/2021 15:29

Since my previous post in 2016 we changed our motorhome two years ago. It is still based on the Peugeot cab and has the 160 HP engine, compared to the the previous which was 130 HP. It does everything I need it to do. Perfectly capable of 70 on the motorway should I decide to drive that fast. It would be nice to have an automatic box but unfortunately not available with Peugeot. Fiat have introduced a proper automatic box since this thread was started which looks good. Quite a few manufacturers seem to be using Ford base units which are also available with auto boxes.

David

JVB66 replied on 08/05/2021 15:40

Posted on 08/05/2021 15:40

The reason that many are based on the Sevel chassis cabs is they are "cheaper" for LV makers to buy which helps keep prices within reason?

Other base vehicles seem to be getting more popular especially Fords with quieter engines

Tinwheeler replied on 08/05/2021 15:48

Posted on 08/05/2021 15:48

The Fiat auto box is good. Ours is coupled with the 2020 2.3 140 engine which, much to my surprise, goes as well as the 2017 2.0 160 Peugeot we had previously. 

Recently, Fiat, Peugeot, Vauxhall and several other brands have formed the Stellantis Group as a result of a merger. We will probably see more common usage of engines and gearboxes across the range. Currently there is little to choose between the vans used for MHs other than gearbox options.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellantis

kenexton replied on 08/05/2021 18:08

Posted on 08/05/2021 18:08

We are currently on our third MH.They have been engined by Fiat,Renault and Peugeot,respectively.We covered 30k miles each in the first two and are on 6k in the Peugeot.Fiat engine was OK but we had issues with the rear brake cylinders.The Renault never missed a beat but was a bit noisy,I thought.MPG was in the region of 32/34 in both,Both would chug along happily around 60 mph at 2k revs.

The 2019 Peugeot is the  2litre,160 bhp model in an Autosleeper.EGR valve went at 2k miles and I also had to have some body warranty work done on the driver's side rear wing due to bad spot welds.It is early days as yet with the MH -hopefully it is now "sorted".Peugeot paid for the 2nd vehicle service,as a goodwill gesture after a polite exchange with their Customer Services during which I made them aware of my "unhappiness"with their product.

MPG is in mid thirties and the Peugeot climbed well in the Massif Central in 2019.It is very quiet and has lots of "whistles and bells"  making for a car -like drive. Cruises happily at 70mph at 2.2 k revs.Reliability?Jury is still out.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook