Lithium- probably the best decision I have made!

Merve replied on 15/06/2019 17:44

Posted on 15/06/2019 17:44

For those who are considering Lithium as an alternative to EHU fees. Well, I think we can all agree that this summer has been a washout so far with a decent day here and there- well, in Wales, that has been the case. It’s been cold too! Most of the time, it’s been leaden skies, overcast and dull. It has, in fact, been an excellent opportunity to test the Lithium Battery I purchased in the very early spring. Now, it has to be admitted that I now have 300w on the roof courtesy of a show offer by Coachman. However, throughout it all, the Lithium has performed so very well. We have, like others, had our heating on in June, been captive in our van through foul weather, making the television or a DVD very attractive  to pass the hours as the rain beat on the roof!. Been able to use the toaster every day, a food blender, clean around with our powerful  240v vacuum etc and the usual lights at night! Charge our phones and toothbrushes etc etc.  The Safefill has taken care of the fridge, the water, the heating etc with the battery supplying the much needed Alde pump. At no time has the Battery been below 87% and to be fair, most of the time not below 95% SoC. Even in very overcast conditions the panels were able to feed an amp or two into the Battery. During a very sunny interval between the clouds the other day I noticed 19.1 amps being fed into the Lithium!! It doesn’t take long at those levels to fill the battery completely and a Lithium can take that level of charge without a problem. 3 hrs of TV reduced it by 2%! Had that been during the day, I wouldn’t have noticed any drop whatsoever- the Panels would have fed more in than I was taking out. There is no doubt that a Lithium Battery has moved the bar higher. All in all, a very worthwhile experience. (Please-  I am not looking for a fight with EHUers! I just want to post my findings for those that are interested!!)

cyberyacht replied on 14/05/2021 09:08

Posted on 14/05/2021 09:08

I upgraded my system to 3x 100w panels in series, a 120Ah Lithium and a 1500w inverter. Had a four day test run last month and the system ran TV, Microwave, toaster plus the usual stuff without any problems. Saves having to coil up 25m of cable every time I move as well. The other bonus is that the battery has more 'available' power than a conventional battery at about half the weight. A useful bonus for payload strapped caravanners.

JollyKernow replied on 14/05/2021 11:22

Posted on 14/05/2021 11:22

Out of interest CY, what solar panels have you used and what controller? I'm in the process of changing vans and I'm looking at a similar system.

JK

Johnny57 replied on 15/05/2021 14:20

Posted on 15/05/2021 14:20

Anyone following this discussion that would like to know more about solar, controllers, invertors lithium batteries etc etc for use on off-grid sites consider joining CAMOGG - Caravan & Motorhome Off-Grid Group (Facebook group) lots of members will help answer any off your questions. Also some discounts available for off-grid suppliers.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CAMOGG

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook