Most reliable 4G set up

Milopearlindie replied on 13/02/2021 22:19

Posted on 13/02/2021 22:19

Just seeing if anyone has a 4G set up that works well? I've been researching and I am looking at getting a Netgear M1 and a Poynting atenna (I will stick it to the side when onsite). I understand I can use my phone to tether, but I've tried this and my phone gets hot and uses a lot of battery; and the speed doesnt seem to be as fast as the reported speeds with the aerial and mifi set up.

I am hoping to be able to use my laptop for video calls, emails etc.

Any recomendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

brue replied on 15/02/2021 15:57

Posted on 15/02/2021 15:57

If you need to be reliant on 4G you need to check the Ofcom web site to see whether it will be viable where you intend to stay, you can put in the postcode for further info.

richardandros replied on 16/02/2021 08:05

Posted on 16/02/2021 08:05

I use an EE Mini Wifi which works well for usual internet use but also for streaming TV.  I took out a 2 year contract for 30mB of data for £18pm just before this blasted virus appeared - so it's not been used that much but when we have used it, the signal has been perfect.

markflip replied on 19/02/2021 11:31

Posted on 19/02/2021 11:31

I use a small 'MiFi' mobile internet device supplied by 3, unlike some phones, it is designed for 'always on' use, so doesn't get warm if left plugged in.  As I've been a customer or many years, I've wangled onto a deal that gives me 20Gb for £8p/m and it comes with 'go binge' so data to watch Netflix and some other streaming sites doesn't come off  my allowance.  The performance is very good with a 'bar' or more signal showing. 

I found going into their local store I could get deals that weren't available online. One year the staff found it was  cheaper for me to take out a second cheap contract for 12 months that meant I got the 'main one' with huge discount, saving me nett about 7 a month and that's the deal i've stayed on since, even after cancelling the second cheap contract.

While it has very occasionally struggled for a signal at some remote sites (I think 2 sites in 5 years of touring), I've found it to be very reliable.  It can be placed anywhere in the van, even shoved up within our skylight to get the best reception and connects up to 10 WiFi devices.  The WiFi works perfectly well in the van and surrounding 5 metres.

Our phones are on diferent networks, so unless we're super remote, a usuable signal is available on at least one of them.

AngusPiloteCamper replied on 07/03/2021 15:43

Posted on 07/03/2021 15:43

I looked into this last year but I guess it all depends on what the mobile coverage is like in the places you frequent and what your needs are.

I ended up buying TP-LINK M7200 4G LTE MiFi and Internet with Legs SIM card from 3 which has 24 Gb preloaded and is valid for up to 24 months.

This unit is very small and easily fits in your pocket, so can be used in car or anywhere you go, if exiting mobile phone signal is dodgy. I attached a piece of Velcro to the unit which then attaches to Velcro strip up beside the MH rooflight, so maximising the signal without going through metal walls etc.

Works very well even in remote highland areas where mobile signal is typically weak and 3g is the norm. More than adequate for email and general browsing, without frying your tethered phone battery !

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook