Removing Oxidation on a Caravan

cyberyacht replied on 05/05/2021 17:32

Posted on 05/05/2021 17:32

No actual experience but given its alleged efficacy on boat hulls and, having had lots of experience of that, it's probably too abrasive for the caravan paint. I have used MER on caravans however which has mild oxidation removal qualities.

commeyras replied on 12/05/2021 09:22

Posted on 12/05/2021 09:22

Thanks Cyber,  A yachtie friend has some Vistal so I will try some, very carefully, on a small area and see what happens.  There is a You Tube video of someone using it to clean  a dirty/oxidized caravan and it looked very effective. I will report back.

EmilysDad replied on 12/05/2021 10:51

Posted on 12/05/2021 10:51

the paint on a caravan is pretty delicate compared to that on your car. I've never come across Vistal so can't comment, but you need to be careful even using T-Cut on a caravan's paint. As CY suggests, a good car polish & a tub of elbow grease would be your best bet.

commeyras replied on 16/05/2021 16:04

Posted on 16/05/2021 16:04

I have now cleaned my caravan using Vistal and the result is excellent.  All signs of oxidation have been removed and I now have a 12 yr old caravan with a showroom shine.  It was easy to apply; damp the sponge, rub the sponge over the Vistal, squeeze the sponge to get a foam and then apply in small areas, rinse off using a hose and then 'polish' up with a soft cloth (these are the instructions on the pot and are demonstrated in the You Tube clip which is an honest picture of the result). I did the polishing whilst the caravan was still damp. ED and Cy, I used a good car polish some time ago but it did not remove the oxidation. but thanks for your comments.  BB give Vistal a go it worked on my caravan, I don't think AutoGlym will remove oxidation.   It is not cheap but would be well worth investing in if you haven't got a yachtie friend with some!.

commeyras replied on 17/05/2021 08:38

Posted on 17/05/2021 08:38

Jill.  I have never used Silky so cannot comment.  Does it claim to remove oxidation as Vistal does?  I note that Silky is much cheaper than Vistal!  I wanted to remove the dull oxidation that had built up over the years and Vistal claimed to remove it on boats and caravans.

ADP1963 replied on 17/05/2021 10:17

Posted on 17/05/2021 10:17

I have used Silky once and that was a long time ago. I was not impressed and so it was once only.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook