Screw Pegs

eyebrowsb replied on 04/08/2018 19:21

Posted on 04/08/2018 19:21

I have tried using the common screw pegs on hard standing with little success. They just seem to spin like crazy but not grip and screw in.

I have this type bought from Aldi a while back so not a major outlay, but a total waste of money in my view.

But maybe my insertion technique is wrong. I'm using a cordless drill and even at low speed they don't grip and screw in. So I ended up banging them in.

Has anyone managed to get them to screw in on hardstandings?

I have seen other types such a Peggy Pegs which look a bit better, but very expensive. £18.22 for 2. Although you can get smaller ones for £14.22 for 4 but you need to hammer them in. Kind of defeats the object.

Peggy Peg also do a plastic fibre glass version but I suspect they would disintegrate in a typical hardstanding pitch.

Anyone found any pegs that screw in with minimum effort and hold? Or can someone explain how they manage with the common screw pegs?

Does anyone use an impact driver to screw in pegs? Does that help get them in.

Thanks

Whittakerr replied on 06/08/2018 11:29

Posted on 06/08/2018 11:29

I’ve tried screw pegs in the past, both proprietary pegs and the log coach screw & washer type with little success. I’ve still got a few in the bag bit I prefer the rock pegs I get from Go Outdoors, knocked in with a lump hammer, pulled out with a claw hammer.

replied on 11/08/2018 13:23

Posted on 11/08/2018 13:23

I use Peggy Pegs with my drill and they work fine, except they can be a bit fiddly. I looked at getting some of their stronger pegs for hardstanding, but they are expensive. So have put off getting them. I have only seriously damaged 2 pegs in the last 6 years of using them.

hitchglitch replied on 12/08/2018 08:04

Posted on 12/08/2018 08:04

In Southern Europe where the ground is often like concrete I always copied everybody else and used the pegs that look like large nails. Don’t know what the are called but they are fairly inexpensive and you drive them in with a wooden mallet or claw hammer. You don’t need a screw thread on them to grip. I still use them down south for the motorhome canopy, in fact some were provided with the Omnistor.

DSB replied on 09/02/2019 13:20

Posted on 09/02/2019 13:20

I went through a stage of using screw pegs but went back to traditional hammer-in rock peg's.  I gave the screw in pegs up as I had difficulty in getting them out - they got tangled with the ladder pegging points and twirled the ladders around.  I'm now wondering whether the problem was the pegs?  I used plastic pegs before and they were quite chunky.  Im wondering whether to give screw-ins another go, especially as, after two knee replacements, I have difficulty in kneeling?  Any thoughts?

David

derekcyril replied on 09/02/2019 19:22

Posted on 09/02/2019 19:22

After going through all type of pegs ,toolstation brilliant cheap way .It seems hardstanding nowadays are using bigger stone for drainage ,which make screw in wander all over the place .Gone back to rock pegs and trusty lump hammer .On grass screw in great .David .just an idea length of steel to suite youre height one end fashioned for end of peg . trusty hammer.? Derek

davetommo replied on 09/02/2019 20:05

Posted on 06/08/2018 07:25 by Rocky 2 buckets

R&R, thatโ€™s because I use 120mm M8 coach screw(see pic) I had some left over from a Tree removal & fencing job, I realised they were ideal & cheap but very strong & reliable. They have a fixed washer near the head, I put another washer on & slot the guy line atwixt the 2. Jobs-a-good-un๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ˜Š

Posted on 09/02/2019 20:05

Do the washers not rub through the pegging elastic and guy ropes

jennyc replied on 11/02/2019 00:41

Posted on 11/02/2019 00:41

We use Kampa style steel screw pegs in all situations, starting them off with a small lump hammer. For the lesser job of holding our carpet/ skirts down, my husband bought a box of long, hex headed screws and added round plastic washers intended for sealing roof panels, I believe. People posting that it’s easy to pull pegs out with a claw hammer have never visited any of the many sites where we’ve had great difficulty removing pegs, even with the aid of a modified crate opener and wooden block fulcrum.

If screwing pegs in, makes the job easier, then removing them with a battery drill can turn a very physical job, into a delightfully painless one.

One poster has suggested a drill driver, which I can see would help a lot, but their hammer action makes them a bit noisy for tranquil sites.

hywelsycharth replied on 20/08/2019 15:44

Posted on 20/08/2019 15:44

I bought some screw pegs years ago and have never had any success with a cordless drill. However I bought an impact driver recently and decided to give the pegs another go. They went in with no problem at all. The secret seems tobe to drive them in vertically and not at an angle as this causes them to skid horizintally.rather than dig in.

Putt Family replied on 02/09/2019 20:45

Posted on 02/09/2019 20:45

Those Aldi pegs are poor the black part spins with the drill.

Used Screwfix items listed below, also knocked off the black plastic part from the Aldi pegs and used them with the washers below all works like a treat.

TurboCoach
TURBOCOACH COACH SCREWS YELLOW ZINC-PLATED 10 X 160MM 50 PACK (27508)

And 

EASYFIX LARGE FLAT WASHERS M10 X 2.5MM 10 PACK (14327)

Parky1987 replied on 21/09/2019 17:40

Posted on 21/09/2019 17:40

I use the Aldi drill pegs, they look identical to your first picture. I did however separate the plastic from the bolt itself (the plastic is moulded around the bolt which has been crimped for the plastic to mould against) and ran a 9mm drill through the plastic so the bolt can spin freely. Then, with the 13mm socket that came with the pegs which fit my impact driver, start driving from the surface. No hammering, just drill work. I have 30 pegs and can get them in, adjusted and out with a single charge of my 1.5ahr dewalt battery. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook