Responsibility of storage site owner

fatbelly replied on 28/05/2018 20:29

Posted on 28/05/2018 20:29

Hi All,

Our MH is on a storage site. The site owner has put up a sign and sent out letters saying any damage or loss caused to customers Caravans & Motorhomes is entirely at owners risk & he cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage when our Vans are on his property.

Given we pay for storage will his statement hold up if we suffer any loss? Is his responsibility solely limited to providing a storage pitch?

replied on 31/05/2018 09:01

Posted on 31/05/2018 09:01

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 31/05/2018 09:10

Posted on 31/05/2018 09:10

If what you say is the case in that recent caravan site fire, presumably the owners of the other vans and the site owner have to claim against their insurance and loose no claims discounts? Seems a little unfair, but then the terms fair and insurance policies don't really go together.🤔

The moral of the story is simple. If you want to protect the value of your property then insure it wink

but then the terms fair and insurance policies don't really go together.

It is not really about the 'terms of insurance' as such. More about the legalities of liability. If the insured is not legally liable for third party damage then no insurer is going to pay out no matter how generous the T&Cs might be in regard to extent of cover.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 31/05/2018 09:57

Posted on 31/05/2018 09:14 by

I think that more than adequately demonstrates the complexity of law that comes into play.  Best make sure you have insurance and leave it to others to worry about the details.

Posted on 31/05/2018 09:57

Accepted, but don’t trust them 100% to act in your(the insured) favour. I had to lodge a formal complaint with Swinton insurance against the loss adjuster for reducing my repairs to save the guilty party’s insurance company money. They are happy bedfellows when it comes to saving themselves costs. PS-I am happy to name my then insurers because my post is honest & not libellous so it can’t be denied.

replied on 31/05/2018 12:21

Posted on 31/05/2018 12:21

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Paolo Imberino replied on 22/09/2018 15:40

Posted on 22/09/2018 15:40

Interesting conversation which I've just read. From a legal respective signs saying we take no responsibility etc mean nothing. If your store your caravan or MH at a third party's farm and is damaged by a tile falling off the roof then if the tile was not in good condition and not secured properly then there is a claim. If it fell due to abnormal high winds then the act of god rule steps in and no claim.

All storage proprietors not only should hold public liability insurance with a minimum claim limit of £5 million for each incident but also "Bailment Cover" to cover them for caravans & MH for which they are responsible for and under their custody and control.

Same applies to pub & supermarket car parks.

Wildwood replied on 30/09/2018 17:19

Posted on 30/09/2018 17:19

The site owner cannot exclude liability for his own negligence as it breaches The Unfair Contract Terms Act. Basically he is liable for any loss or damage as a result of his own negligence but not the actions of a third party where he could not reasonably have prevented this.

Having said that if you are unhappy with his position then I would look for another storage area, although I do appreciate that this may be difficult in some areas..

Oscarmax replied on 09/10/2018 20:30

Posted on 09/10/2018 20:30

Our caravan is on a gold storage site, the site does not provide or display any terms or condition, we have not viewed or signed any term or condition.

Recent they started displaying a sign on the shop window caravan stored at owners risk ?,

JonathanM replied on 21/04/2019 17:56

Posted on 21/04/2019 17:56

Following an experience last summer, IMHO storage site owners are keen to take money, less keen to take responsibility if anything happens. 

Last summer my caravan was stored on a farm site, reassurances that the site was regularly checked, however it wasn't & I attended one day to pay my fees & I went to check on the caravan - Its wasn't there, back to the office to be told I must have moved it??!!??

Anyway, reported to the police, insurance told me to do one as I had moved the caravan from the barn on site to the open area and not had chance to tell them...……...

Fortunately the Gardaí recovered it in September & tracked me down through CRIS, & eventually I got the caravan back in December. Even better it was in good condition except the thieves had stripped nearly everything out, leaving only the awnings, Crockery, cutlery, books, you name it gone. 

One wardrobe shelf damaged(?) and some mild bodywork damage to nearside rear corner, not effecting the bodywork integrity. 

Since using the site I've become aware of several other thefts from the storage site so consequently my van is now stored elsewhere, behind an electronically controlled gate with CCTV & my insurance company know where I have it stored. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook