2017 Kuga Towbar Electrics

JSGARTH replied on 24/05/2019 20:29

Posted on 24/05/2019 20:29

I have had a tow bar fitted to my 2017 Kuga by a tow bar fitter, NTTA registered. I have towed for the first time and discovered that there was no repeat buzzer on the indicators, I have always been used to one on other tow cars, is this correct.  I have tried to research tow bar electrics and did read somewhere that the caravan lights are included in the car electronic check and therefore an indicator fault would show up in the Information display and therefore a buzzer not needed? Also the fog lights/reversing lights were not working on the caravan and the reversing sensors were sounding even when caravan attached. Fortunately they were not affected by the tow bar when solo? The caravan has been serviced this year and the road lights were fine.

I will be contacting the fitter and I am sure he will sort me out but I just wanted a bit of background knowledge from someone used to towing with this car. Is it possible that the electrics need some sort of re programming?

Hopefully a fellow Kuga owner can offer some advice from their experiences?

nelliethehooker replied on 24/05/2019 21:49

Posted on 24/05/2019 21:49

JSG,  there have been numerous posts about problems with Kuga electrics, but I can't find the link. The search processes on this web site are awful, and that's putting it mildly. Perhaps others that have had similar problems, or a better memory than me, can point you in the right direction.

EmilysDad replied on 24/05/2019 22:12

Posted on 24/05/2019 22:12

Sorry, no idea about Kuga electrics but a buzzer is not a requirement, you just need to be made aware that a trailer indicator is inoperative & that can be by rapidly flashing remaining indicators in the same way as your car would warn you of a failed indicator bulb when solo.

PS I have no faith in the NTTA lot as when I complained to them that my local NTTA towbar fitter had drilled my car to fit an earth point instead of using a factory earth point 18" away, the person I spoke to couldn't have been any less helpful if he'd tried and couldn't see why drilling my car might have been a problem. 

Watersideranger replied on 25/05/2019 16:03

Posted on 25/05/2019 16:03

My son in law, also a caravanner and Ford Kuga driver, has had several Fords as he is a high mileage driver. He has always had tow gear fitted by Ford dealer and they always have to down load an update to the engine management.  Take it to a Ford main dealer, the repeater light should be on the dashboard display.

TonyBurton replied on 01/06/2019 21:01

Posted on 01/06/2019 21:01

I tow with a Kuga. I had a local tow bar fitter fit my tow bar. He was recommended by the Ford dealer when I purchased the car. All the lights work OK and I get a buzzer from the indicators. Because it was not factory fitted my reversing sensors sound as soon as I engage reverse and the Ford trailer control function doesn't work. When I had the car serviced at my Ford dealer I asked them to upgrade it all and change the software settings but they said it was not possible. I'm really pleased with the Kuga and don't see any need for the trailer control and I just ignore the reversing sensors. Like most modern SUVs I find the fridge and caravan battery charging is poor. I don't know if the factory fitted electrics would be any better in this respect.

EmilysDad replied on 01/06/2019 22:12

Posted on 01/06/2019 22:12

A buzzer is not required .. though some would like to think it is .. your car just needs to show you that an indicator isn't working eg by rapid flashing of indicators

MDD10 replied on 02/07/2019 22:33

Posted on 02/07/2019 22:33

It sounds like it has been fitted without using the vehicle specific wiring loom (VSK). They cost £100 so some fitters don’t use but in reality they should 

Tammygirl replied on 02/07/2019 23:10

Posted on 02/07/2019 23:10

We tow with a Kuga, not experienced any of the OP's problems but ours was fitted with a Ford wiring loom which I believe sorts out these problems especially the rear sensors. 

replied on 03/07/2019 06:52

Posted on 03/07/2019 06:52

If you go aftermarket towbar there are two types of electrics, generally speaking.

Manufacturers and Relay Box.

On today's cars I would avoid the Relay type. Cheapest option mind.

If you can warrant the huge extra expense, get a dealer/manufacturer fit. I know it's a rip off, but everything works as it should, including the cars extra towing functions.

No buzzer in my car (Audi) a second green repeater represents the trailer/caravan.

Cars are so complicated now, breaking into the wiring can have all sorts of hidden consequences.

lornalou1 replied on 03/07/2019 11:33

Posted on 03/07/2019 11:33

They are called dedicated wiring harness and made to match the vehicle they are going to be fitted to. This should give all the correct functions required but some vehicles will need a reprogram of the software which a good towbar company will do as part of the price.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook