BMW retrofit tow hitch & Alko Hitch

jet744 replied on 24/12/2019 10:06

Posted on 24/12/2019 10:06

Has anyone fitted a BMW retrofit detachable tow hitch to a BMW 335d x drive F31? I'm told by the BMW dealer that when fitted the distance from centre of hitch to rear bumper will be 65mm whereas the Alko needs a minimum of 68mm? Despite that I see Towcar tests of similar vehicle clearly using the BMW tow hitch and an Alko stabilising hitch without any problems.

If any one has any experience I'd be glad to hear. It's driving me to distraction! I want to fit the BMW version as the car is only 3 months old and under warranty I also want all the vehicle capabilities retained such as the Trailer Stability Protection.

Thanks

jet744 replied on 07/01/2020 16:49

Posted on 04/01/2020 09:34 by MiDor

Hi Jet744

When I had a caravan I had a BMW coupe 320D 2010 model, the towbar was fitted by a company in Shrewsbury that the local BMW dealership used to fit their aftermarket towbars. They fitted a Westfalia swan neck detachable that was suitable with the Alko hitch, it was close to the bumper but no problem to attach.

Posted on 07/01/2020 16:49

Hi! Midor & Lutz. Thank you both. After several conversations with BMW head office and several dealers, all are puzzled and  embarrassed to say they don't have access to any information other than that it meets EU minimum requirements, which seems bizarre. I guess the hitches are made by another manufacturer (Westfalia or Oris) and branded BMW. Even more odd is that having telephoned Tow Trust they were able to tell me straight away that theirs would be between 85-90mm from the bodywork. I'm still trying to find a 3 series with one fitted so that I can measure it! Our caravan has an Alko hitch so need a minimum of 67mm which is 2mm more than EU minimum requirements. Onward and upwards!

padmiester replied on 09/02/2020 12:00

Posted on 09/02/2020 12:00

I have a BMW F31 with a Westfalia detachable bar and an Alko hitch. I’m not sure on a measurement but I have had no issues. I believe that all so called genuine ‘BMW’ towbars are Westfalia anyways, aside from the electric ones. 

Paul

MiDor replied on 09/02/2020 13:48

Posted on 09/02/2020 13:48

Hi jet744 I can measure the distance for you, as I still have the towbar. Can you tell me were you want the measurement from? ie. from centre of the ball or from the edge of the ball to the bumper.

ChrisHar replied on 08/12/2020 14:52

Posted on 08/12/2020 14:52

Hello - I am faced with the similar issue, just about to take delivery of 3 series touring - spoke to Witter this morning and they said best to fit a Witter instead of Westfilia (both same company now) as it would have a little more clearance, any further thoughts or advise please

ChrisHar replied on 11/12/2020 22:27

Posted on 24/12/2019 10:06 by jet744

Has anyone fitted a BMW retrofit detachable tow hitch to a BMW 335d x drive F31? I'm told by the BMW dealer that when fitted the distance from centre of hitch to rear bumper will be 65mm whereas the Alko needs a minimum of 68mm? Despite that I see Towcar tests of similar vehicle clearly using the BMW tow hitch and an Alko stabilising hitch without any problems.

If any one has any experience I'd be glad to hear. It's driving me to distraction! I want to fit the BMW version as the car is only 3 months old and under warranty I also want all the vehicle capabilities retained such as the Trailer Stability Protection.

Thanks

Posted on 11/12/2020 22:27

Hello - did you manage to get this resolved, starting to face a similar problem, any advice welcome Thanks

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook