Brake Fluid Change

JohnM20 replied on 29/11/2019 16:05

Posted on 29/11/2019 16:05

My Ford Mondeo has a service interval of every 2 years or at 18,000 miles whichever is the sooner. I have been told that Ford now recommend a change of brake fluid every two years - ie at every service in my case. This seems to be a new recommendation. Is it common with other makes of cars or is it just another main dealer rip off?

replied on 01/12/2019 14:53

Posted on 30/11/2019 20:11 by EmilysDad

I'm addicted to drinking brake fluid.๐Ÿ˜ฎ

But I can stop whenever I want. ๐Ÿ˜

Posted on 01/12/2019 14:53

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 01/12/2019 14:55

Posted on 30/11/2019 22:53 by huskydog

You need to brake the habit cool

Posted on 01/12/2019 14:55

derekcyril replied on 01/12/2019 15:01

Posted on 01/12/2019 15:01

You must drain down properly . Most dealers dont so its a waste of money .Brake fade is bad , but why do people drive flat out up to junctions , slam on brakes ? Then wonder why pads dont last I . still drive old way slow down change down , if clear accelerate away ,less wear and tear

JohnM20 replied on 03/12/2019 08:20

Posted on 03/12/2019 08:20

Reading all your comments and looking at other motoring forums it appears that different makes of car 'recommend' a change of fluid at various different intervals. As a result I've decided to get mine changed next year at three years since the last change.

My new service plan taken out yesterday now includes brake fluid change which, the dealer suggested, I get done in 1 years time when the car goes in for an interim check as part of the plan. "3 years between fluid changes is fine" he commented ! What is even better is that the plan gives me even more benefits but remains at the same price as the previous plan. Aren't I glad I declined to have it done at the last service at an extra cost of £35.

DS3 replied on 16/12/2019 03:29

Posted on 16/12/2019 03:29

I always change my brake fluid every two years, both motorbike and cars. It takes less than an hour and costs less then a tenner if you do it yourself. Why wouldn't you chnage it? As for how does the water get in there. There is an air hole in the lid of the master cylinder, plus, whenever something metal warms up and cools down it creates condensation. Brakes heat up and cool down many times on every journey.

Noot only can water not be compressed, but it causes corrosion inside the brake system. Someone mentioned you can't get all the fluid out because of the ABS modulator. Some cars need to be plugged into a computer to purge the system, but most cars just need a simple old fashioned bleed.

I actually use a vacuum bleeder. Pump it up and simply fill the reservoir while the bleeder sucks the fluid through.

replied on 16/12/2019 08:22

Posted on 16/12/2019 03:29 by DS3

I always change my brake fluid every two years, both motorbike and cars. It takes less than an hour and costs less then a tenner if you do it yourself. Why wouldn't you chnage it? As for how does the water get in there. There is an air hole in the lid of the master cylinder, plus, whenever something metal warms up and cools down it creates condensation. Brakes heat up and cool down many times on every journey.

Noot only can water not be compressed, but it causes corrosion inside the brake system. Someone mentioned you can't get all the fluid out because of the ABS modulator. Some cars need to be plugged into a computer to purge the system, but most cars just need a simple old fashioned bleed.

I actually use a vacuum bleeder. Pump it up and simply fill the reservoir while the bleeder sucks the fluid through.

Posted on 16/12/2019 08:22

SeasideBill replied on 16/12/2019 15:05

Posted on 16/12/2019 12:38 by lornalou1

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/hand-tools/gunson-eezibleed

had one of these for years. makes job a lot easier and can do on your own.

Posted on 16/12/2019 15:05

Never got on with one of those, free to anybody who wants it. It put more air back in the system than I got out. Also, risk of spraying brake fluid everywhere. No substitute for the OH sat in the car pumping the pedal - works perfectly every time. That said, my experience is with 40+ yr old cars, so maybe more to it with modern vehicles?

I was under the impression that modern vehicles used silicone fluid as standard and have done so for some time (not interchangeable with the mineral based variety). In which case, all this stuff about hygroscopicity and related problems isn’t relevant (as per DDs link). However, no doubt the modern stuff degrades over time?

replied on 16/12/2019 15:58

Posted on 16/12/2019 15:05 by SeasideBill

Never got on with one of those, free to anybody who wants it. It put more air back in the system than I got out. Also, risk of spraying brake fluid everywhere. No substitute for the OH sat in the car pumping the pedal - works perfectly every time. That said, my experience is with 40+ yr old cars, so maybe more to it with modern vehicles?

I was under the impression that modern vehicles used silicone fluid as standard and have done so for some time (not interchangeable with the mineral based variety). In which case, all this stuff about hygroscopicity and related problems isnโ€™t relevant (as per DDs link). However, no doubt the modern stuff degrades over time?

Posted on 16/12/2019 15:58

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook