Dash cams

pterodactyl replied on 05/11/2019 14:46

Posted on 05/11/2019 14:46

I am considering fitting forward and rear view dash cameras to my Hyundai Santa Fe. In order to cut down on the wiring and cost I am thinking of buying two forward view cameras rather than an integrated pair of cameras. Each camera would have its own power source and SD card. Will a dash cam designed as a forward looking camera work if mounted as a rear cam? 

EmilysDad replied on 05/11/2019 15:35

Posted on 05/11/2019 15:35

Course it will! ☺ I'm sure the cable will be easily added along with other wiring going to the tail gate.

ocsid replied on 05/11/2019 16:13

Posted on 05/11/2019 16:13

I tried the same, but in my case a Disco 4 the glass being so vertical screwed up the mounting, its adjustment range was for far greater lean-back angled front screens. A budget Nextbase model.

Plus, the heater tracks caused the "sucker" to fail to seal properly and so work for any real duration..

I thought of bonding my own DIY bracket on though decided I might screw up the heater element track, like possibly by locally overheating it.

Not all wasted, I have mounted it on my cycle, again via a DIY bracket.

pterodactyl replied on 05/11/2019 16:53

Posted on 05/11/2019 16:53

Thanks MollysM. Luckily I have a power point at the rear so extra cables will be at a minimum.  Thanks also ocsid. I will look at the space left free of heater tracks. Good idea about the bike mount...I had not thought of that.

EmilysDad replied on 05/11/2019 20:22

Posted on 05/11/2019 16:53 by pterodactyl

Thanks MollysM. Luckily I have a power point at the rear so extra cables will be at a minimum.  Thanks also ocsid. I will look at the space left free of heater tracks. Good idea about the bike mount...I had not thought of that.

Posted on 05/11/2019 20:22

I meant actually getting the power cable from the body of the car to the tail gate itself. My front dash cam is glued to the screen using the 3M sticky pad that came with the camera so Ocsid's problem re the sucker doesn't apply.

EmilysDad replied on 05/11/2019 20:30

Posted on 05/11/2019 20:30

I've been quite impressed with my ddpai dash cams .... relatively cheap, uses wifi to connect to a phone and no distracting screen on them. I have both the original mini 1 & a mini 3 (this the mini 2)

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook