Diesel & petrol alternatives? Your thoughts please

KellyHenderson replied on 14/09/2017 14:26

Posted on 14/09/2017 14:26

Good Afternoon,

Hopefully you have now received your September Club Magazine and read the Ask Your Club article (see attached photo) regarding the future of caravanning post 2040.

Have you already changed your vehicle from diesel to petrol?

Is anyone already towing with a hybrid? Maybe a Tesla Model X?

Has the news affected your plans for your next towcar?

It will also be interesting to see how motorhomes evolve into hybrids and/or electric models, which alternative to diesel would you prefer to buy; Hybrid or electric?

Are you concerned about so few alternatives to diesel at the moment? Would you choose petrol instead if they were more widely available? There is now a VW T6 camper with a petrol engine available. 

Has this news made you think about switching to a car and caravan? Equally would caravanners consider trading in their car and caravan to purchase a hybrid or electric motorhome?

From the questions above, we would love to have your feedback.

One thing is for sure, there will be some interesting times ahead.

The Walters replied on 01/10/2019 20:45

Posted on 14/09/2017 14:26 by KellyHenderson

Good Afternoon,

Hopefully you have now received your September Club Magazine and read the Ask Your Club article (see attached photo) regarding the future of caravanning post 2040.

Have you already changed your vehicle from diesel to petrol?

Is anyone already towing with a hybrid? Maybe a Tesla Model X?

Has the news affected your plans for your next towcar?

It will also be interesting to see how motorhomes evolve into hybrids and/or electric models, which alternative to diesel would you prefer to buy; Hybrid or electric?

Are you concerned about so few alternatives to diesel at the moment? Would you choose petrol instead if they were more widely available? There is now a VW T6 camper with a petrol engine available. 

Has this news made you think about switching to a car and caravan? Equally would caravanners consider trading in their car and caravan to purchase a hybrid or electric motorhome?

From the questions above, we would love to have your feedback.

One thing is for sure, there will be some interesting times ahead.

Posted on 01/10/2019 20:45

Hi fellow caravanners

I have towed for the last 3 years with a  2L Diesel Octavia Estate. I need to change the car and I am keen to consider a petrol engine. I have been looking at the tow car awards and I am aware that KIA do a petrol injection engine as does SEAT.

I would like to hear from anyone who tows with a petrol engine, if you can let me know your thoughts on pro's and con's Iwould really appreciate it.

Thanks folks

EmilysDad replied on 01/10/2019 22:59

Posted on 01/10/2019 20:45 by The Walters

Hi fellow caravanners

I have towed for the last 3 years with a  2L Diesel Octavia Estate. I need to change the car and I am keen to consider a petrol engine. I have been looking at the tow car awards and I am aware that KIA do a petrol injection engine as does SEAT.

I would like to hear from anyone who tows with a petrol engine, if you can let me know your thoughts on pro's and con's Iwould really appreciate it.

Thanks folks

Posted on 01/10/2019 22:59

All petrol engined cars are fuel injected these days ..... 🤔 You can tow with a petrol engined car, but they don't tend to have the torque of a diesel & what torque they do have tends to be at higher revs. I've towed in the past with petrol but ... they were 3.0 ... which aren't generally available these days in mainstream cars.

geoffeales replied on 30/12/2019 14:51

Posted on 30/12/2019 14:51

I take my hat off to Mike McMahon for his letter in this month's magazine, suggesting that car manufacturers should develop an industry standard battery for electric cars so that instead of wasting time waiting for your battery to recharge you could simply exchange it for a fully charged one in minutes. The sceptic within me fears the industry may never agree on the grounds of cost/design/connections etc., but what a brilliant idea if they did. Mike - I salute you!

brue replied on 30/12/2019 15:27

Posted on 30/12/2019 15:27

The problem with that ide is the misconception that an electric car battery looks like a normal car battery. In our EV much of the floor space is taken up with what looks like a flat pack of dominoes (cellular batteries.)

If you look at YouTube BMW i3 production, the construction and layouts can be seen as they are being assembled on the factory floor.

The concept of battery removal and re-charging is similar to that on something like a milk float but not on a car at present. If the car batteries weren't cellular a single battery would be huge and heavy.

replied on 30/12/2019 15:47

Posted on 30/12/2019 15:47

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Tigi replied on 30/12/2019 19:21

Posted on 30/12/2019 19:21

Interesting report on the latest Mitubishi Outlander Phev in Practical Caravan not particularily complimentary from a towing point of view.

EmilysDad replied on 30/12/2019 22:04

Posted on 30/12/2019 14:51 by geoffeales

I take my hat off to Mike McMahon for his letter in this month's magazine, suggesting that car manufacturers should develop an industry standard battery for electric cars so that instead of wasting time waiting for your battery to recharge you could simply exchange it for a fully charged one in minutes. The sceptic within me fears the industry may never agree on the grounds of cost/design/connections etc., but what a brilliant idea if they did. Mike - I salute you!

Posted on 30/12/2019 22:04

The trouble with that idea is that you'd have no idea how good your replacement battery was. It might be a brand new battery, fully charged and capable of giving something like the quoted range or it might be a battery on its last legs and even fully charged will just about get you across town. I see this at work when swapping batteries on a fork truck ... some fully charged batteries last & other don't

Freddy55 replied on 30/12/2019 22:09

Posted on 30/12/2019 22:04 by EmilysDad

The trouble with that idea is that you'd have no idea how good your replacement battery was. It might be a brand new battery, fully charged and capable of giving something like the quoted range or it might be a battery on its last legs and even fully charged will just about get you across town. I see this at work when swapping batteries on a fork truck ... some fully charged batteries last & other don't

Posted on 30/12/2019 22:09

Yes, something that crossed my mind too.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook