Discovery 4 DIY tow bar + electrics

Applause replied on 25/10/2019 21:53

Posted on 25/10/2019 21:53

hi everyone, just got a Disco 4 and want to fit tow bar + 13pin electrics, actual fitting of tow bar seems easy and the genuine wiring loom looks easy, just plug in but I am lead to believe the cars electronics needs to be reprogrammed. Anyone done a the job and any problems? Any help or observations would be appreciated.

lofty55 replied on 30/10/2019 06:48

Posted on 30/10/2019 06:48

Hi Applause.

I got my hitch and genuine wiring from pf Jones, fitted myself just plugs in. Then got car programmed by local garage £25.

its a Euro 6 model ,and towed many thousands of miles and fridge and battery charges , unlike many other Euro 6 cars.

Tirril replied on 10/11/2019 21:00

Posted on 10/11/2019 21:00

I have owned the Discovery 4 which had the detachable tow bar which Landrover recommends you should remove when not towing as grit can get into the mechanism causing wear over a long period. The tow hitch is quite heavy requiring getting down onto the ground to lock it into place. Although LR can fit an excellent electric deployable tow hitch it is expensive and the best option is to fit a fixed tow hitch either theirs or an independent,  which also gives some protection from other cars in car parks.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook