Discovery - carrying bikes on roof.

alan1406 replied on 04/08/2019 10:41

Posted on 04/08/2019 10:41

We're in the process of getting a Discovery 3.0 SDV6 HSE to tow our Elddis Crusader Zephyr.  

We are not going to mount the bikes on any part of the caravan, so are looking at carrying them on top of the Discovery using Thule bars and cycle carriers.  As it is higher than a standard saloon / estate, what solutions have people used successfully with other similar sized vehicles?  We have seen people using foldable steps - which ones are best?

I'm a reasonably agile 58 year old but a small thumb injury when putting my own bike on a rack a couple of years ago has taught me to be safe and careful

Navigateur replied on 08/08/2019 22:32

Posted on 08/08/2019 22:32

I have carried bikes sucessfully on a D3 and now a D4 using an Expo rack with crossbars mounted on that and bike racks on top of them. Expo rack gives a flat floor to stand on, and access is via the standard Land Rover ladder on the rear door.

To get them up/down requires a short length of rope around handlebars and saddle post, and a picnic rug clipped to the Expo rack to protect the Discovery paintwork. Can do it alone if I need to, but an assistant to guide bike is handy.  I have electric bikes, and even with battery removed they are quite heavy.

I experimented with one of these spring loaded hoists and it worked fine - just the extra height of the Expo rack prevented it reaching down far enough to attach bike!  They would probably work fine with standard roof bars. I have two of them lying unused, but I can't offer to sell them on here as that would be advertising and against the guidelines!!

ChemicalJasper replied on 10/08/2019 16:40

Posted on 10/08/2019 16:40

+1 for the MaxxRaxx on both the D3 and the current D4.

Again with the extension bar.

Now the kids are older and have bigger bikes, I can only fit 3 on the rack without compromising the turning circle (short A-Frame on the bailey), but think I would struggle with getting bikes onto the roof (I cant even wash it properly lol!)

DS3 replied on 12/08/2019 00:51

Posted on 12/08/2019 00:51

My advice, if you have a fixed towbar, is buy a towbar bike rack. The Discovery nose weight is 150kg, if it is a D4. easily enough for the caravan (up to 100kg) and the bikes. No idea about the new wonky D5. We used to have a D3. Getting bikes up that high is rather dangerous, as is evident by my impending knee operation. If you must do it, use what you have. IE lower the suspension right down, buy another set of caravan steps so you can have one person either end of a bike. One bike either side shouldn't be too much drama, but a bike in the middle is difficult.

KeefySher replied on 23/08/2019 15:13

Posted on 23/08/2019 15:13

How many bikes do you want to put on?

I have a Mercedes GLE that I carry bikes on the roof of (on a tow bar mounted rack as well).

I'm older than you, and 6'1".

Thule kit is 1st class and modular, so you can change things easily and key alike all the components.

I always use wider bars that are available on the checklist, it makes it easier. Ensure the bars got above and outside the door rails, fixings. Use the ProRide 590 series bike carriers that fit the 'T' track and have the arm with the ratchet wheel cross bar fixing.

Before you attempt to put the bikes on, set up the exact position of the carrier to the bike. Ensure the wheel trays and ratchet straps are middle for diddle on each wheel, the arm is at the right angle for the cross bar location and open sufficient to get the cross bar into, not fully open as you have too long a time to ratchet it closed whilst holding the bike.

I use a caravan step to stand on and the running boards on the car. Either the spare fiamma step at home, or the in use caravan step on site.

Lift each bike up into the wheel trays, prop against the arm for the crossbar, tighten the ratchet wheel, tighten the wheel straps, jobs a good un. Put bikes on outsides of the rack if only 2. I usually have 3, the 3rd facing backwards in the middle, which is put on 2nd. The outer arm is lowered to pass the middle bike over.

bel1 replied on 30/09/2019 21:22

Posted on 30/09/2019 21:22

I have had all models of the disco and have always travelled with three bikes on the roof using Thule bars and cycle racks. I use a light weight aluminium set of step ladders (five step version) which travel in the top box when not in use.

Technique to get them on the roof: position ladder on stable base; prepare cycle rack to accept bike; now pick up the bike using front and rear forks and raise above your head and have the bike horizontal to the ground. Now carefully climb the ladder and when at the correct height position the wheels into the bike rack tracks and then turn the bike from a horizontal to the vertical orientation.

It a techniques that requires practice rather than sheer strength; I am 65!

alan1406 replied on 04/10/2019 22:07

Posted on 30/09/2019 21:22 by bel1

I have had all models of the disco and have always travelled with three bikes on the roof using Thule bars and cycle racks. I use a light weight aluminium set of step ladders (five step version) which travel in the top box when not in use.

Technique to get them on the roof: position ladder on stable base; prepare cycle rack to accept bike; now pick up the bike using front and rear forks and raise above your head and have the bike horizontal to the ground. Now carefully climb the ladder and when at the correct height position the wheels into the bike rack tracks and then turn the bike from a horizontal to the vertical orientation.

It a techniques that requires practice rather than sheer strength; I am 65!

Posted on 04/10/2019 22:07

Thanks for this.  We went ahead and got roofrails fitted this week and have the LR cross bars onto which our Thule Cycle carriers will go.  I'm 6'3" and will use a sturdy plastic caravan step to see if I can reach ok.  We'll put the D5 on Access level and lower the tailgate to the bottom level

So watch this space - I may well have to get a higher platform if I can't reach, but we don't want anything that can fall over and scratch the new paintwork on our new D5!

Sherman replied on 07/10/2019 15:03

Posted on 07/10/2019 15:03

I do carry 2  bikes on the roof of the SUV. Biles are 14KG each.

I lift whilst my lady steadies the front wheels.

I use two folding steps (20cm) one for each foot.

I am 1.74 m and 75 years. I have no problems.

WARNING The bikes are higher than the Caravan!!!!!!

alan1406 replied on 07/10/2019 21:36

Posted on 07/10/2019 15:03 by Sherman

I do carry 2  bikes on the roof of the SUV. Biles are 14KG each.

I lift whilst my lady steadies the front wheels.

I use two folding steps (20cm) one for each foot.

I am 1.74 m and 75 years. I have no problems.

WARNING The bikes are higher than the Caravan!!!!!!

Posted on 07/10/2019 21:36

Top comment! Thanks Sherman 👍👍

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook