Electric parking brake hill start

Spamcan replied on 26/05/2020 12:28

Posted on 26/05/2020 12:28

Just before the lock down I took delivery of a car with electric parking brake and auto hold. Only recently has the tow bar been fitted with vehicle specific wiring. Not having had chance for a real test run and not having had electric brakes before could someone give me the benefit of their experience how how to tow the caravan especially on hill starts with electric brakes The vehicle manual is quite vague. I will say that I have been towing caravans for many years but with manual braking systems.  

NevChap replied on 26/05/2020 12:35

Posted on 26/05/2020 12:35

Firstly, how many times do you do a hill start with the caravan in tow? I must admit that in 33 years of towing I can't remember a time but probably have had to once or twice.

Secondly, it would help to know a bit about the car - is it automatic or manual for instance? If automatic as mine is (although had manual cars in the past) then I would think that simply starting to accelerate as you release the parking brake would enable you to move without slipping back (I know I can in my XC90).

Thirdly, I would try a hill start without the 'van in tow first: on a quiet road if possible. How does it perform? Do you need to adjust your driving habit?

From experience I don't think you will have a problem. Good luck.

eurortraveller replied on 26/05/2020 12:56

Posted on 26/05/2020 12:56

I have no idea about underpowered cars, or super heavyweight vans, or front wheel drive cars scrabbling for grip on a steep hill, but with a 2.2 litre diesel Freelander (manual) towing a 1200kg van - I just put her in first gear and press the accelerator,  the handbrake automatically releases and off we go.  Magic!  It's an everyday event here at home when I stop in the lane - which is about 1 in 6 - and get out to open the gate so I can drive straight in .

ocsid replied on 26/05/2020 14:13

Posted on 26/05/2020 14:13

We have two vehicles with electronic parking brakes, my wife's Golf Mk7 & my Discovery 4.

On the Golf it features an "auto" apply and release system and we just simply let it do its own thing which it manages very compedently doing; really you can forget about it, it does all it needs to without any intervention.

The Disco has not that feature, it has to be applied by you but it can either be released by you or left to self release.

I always these days get involved in both, obviously applying it, but also in releasing it, basically as it unlike the Golf takes its time thinking if it should auto release. It does, but that very slight delay means the move off is not done with quite the refinement me doing so achieves. All that is involved is just that light finger touch and it operates cleanly.

So, they are not all created equally.

The Golf had a very early life recall to update the auto parking brake software, and it greatly improved its refinment.

EmilysDad replied on 26/05/2020 14:22

Posted on 26/05/2020 14:22

The electric parking brake on my automatic Merc releases automatically when you set off .... not that it gets used very often as I left foot brake so release the foot brake as I press the throttle. But whether parking brake releases itself or not, it's just the same as a 'normal' handbrake .... press the throttle until you feel the car wants to go & then release the parking brake or for those that 'want to be in control 😏  ..... find the biting point of the clutch, start to press the throttle  & then release the parking brake.

Besides, the 'auto hold' is likely going to do it all for Spamcan ... 

pterodactyl replied on 26/05/2020 17:16

Posted on 26/05/2020 17:16

Hi Spamcan, I tow a fairly heavy twin axle with a Hyundai Santa Fe which has an electric parking brake. It has two options... either applying manually with a switch or using the autohold option. I always tow with the autohold on and have had no problems at all. It can hold the van securely even on a very steep slope eg ferry ramp and the slight delay in releasing gives a safe and smooth hill start. It did take me a while to trust the autohold but now I never give it a second thought. Much better than the old manual. 

If you feel on a steep hillstart that you need a bit more / longer hold you can always give the manual switch a short flick to extend the length of the hold after you have started to move off.

PJMEG replied on 26/05/2020 21:42

Posted on 26/05/2020 21:42

Hi Spamcan,

I have a Manual 2.0 TDI VW Tiguan 177bhp, I tow a 1200kg MTPLM van, my car has both auto park brake / auto hold and hill start assist, as previous posts have said the park automatically releases when the biting point is reached but on an incline the hill assist holds for an extra couple of seconds to allow you pull away smoothly with no roll back, also on inclines the auto hold has always held both the car and van with no issues without having to apply the park brake, works very well on the VW but cannot speak for other makes.

Rufs replied on 27/05/2020 08:43

Posted on 27/05/2020 08:43

last time i used the handbrake on my Sorento was probably on the ferry in 2019, left foot on brake ease from park to auto press the juice pedal and off she goes. Should say for the purists, my drive is almost flat and if it was going to roll anywhere it would be into the garage doorlaughing

commeyras replied on 27/05/2020 10:40

Posted on 27/05/2020 10:40

I have an auto Tiguan (well 2 pedals - DSG!).  Two choices, either electric handbreak or auto hold.  I use the auto hold on the rare occasions I have needed to.  All covered in the handbook.

richardandros replied on 27/05/2020 12:41

Posted on 27/05/2020 12:41

Our van weighs 2 tons fully laden - and I tow with a VW Touareg which has hill start.  Use it all the time with the van on the back and never had a problem - even on the steepest of hills. I wouldn't like to be without it.

The only thing I would say is that on one of my previous Discos - which was used regularly for serious off-roading - the EPB locked on at a horrendous junction in the middle of Hull - and wouldn't release.  Couldn't even drive off in low ratio 1st. After 20 minutes of fiddling with the release button, it eventually cleared but that was after I had caused absolute chaos with other traffic trying to get round me.

Apparently, LR recommend having the EPB serviced every 2000 miles if used off road regularly because mud can get into it - with the results I experienced!

EmilysDad replied on 27/05/2020 12:59

Posted on 27/05/2020 08:43 by Rufs

last time i used the handbrake on my Sorento was probably on the ferry in 2019, left foot on brake ease from park to auto press the juice pedal and off she goes. Should say for the purists, my drive is almost flat and if it was going to roll anywhere it would be into the garage doorlaughing

Posted on 27/05/2020 12:59

Another left footer ..... so to speak! 😂

Using your left foot makes auto hold/auto parking brakes redundant! 👍 My parking brake gets used for the MOT (& steep hills) ..... 😏

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook