High cost for a few miles

JohnM20 replied on 28/10/2020 15:38

Posted on 28/10/2020 15:38

Did anyone else note the letter in the latest magazine from a guy who has bought a Mercedes EQC 400 Sport. This is an all electric car which costs in the region of £65,000. For that price it is possible to pull a caravan of 1500kg for all of about 100 miles before needing to be recharged ! It might be super quiet and well built but at that price I would hope it is.

For the life of me I cannot see diesels being phased out during my lifetime. There isn't anything at present that is a viable equivalent that could take the place of a diesel engine that most people would be able to afford. 

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against electric vehicles, our milk used to be delivered in one every morning, but there are so many things that will need to be addressed before they can be universally accepted. I see a great future, though, for companies making very long heavy duty extension leads !!wink

allanandjean replied on 20/02/2021 14:09

Posted on 18/11/2020 15:22 by geoffeales

I may have read it here sometime, but surely the simplest answer, if you could only get the motor industry to agree to a standard size/design, would be to have a network of replacement batteries, rather like gas bottles, where you could pull up and have a fully charged battery fitted and on your way in a matter of minutes. If they really want us to buy electric cars, and are as serious about the planet as they'd like us to think, surely this wouldn't be too hard to achieve?

Posted on 20/02/2021 14:09

Hi geoff, I thought this might be a wind up-now there's an idea-but now think it more likely the fact that you are a caravanner that led to your comment.

As such we are used to the very basic battery storage on a van but in a modern electric car the battery is part of the car.

Even though I think that there is no way that we will be the level of investment needed, for the proposed cut off date, I think even that is far more likely than what you suggest.

DaveT replied on 25/02/2021 12:29

Posted on 25/02/2021 12:29

Should we really be concerned? If the major vehicle manufacturers are unable to provide viable technical and cost solution by the prescribed date, I can't see things grinding to a halt. In such circumstances, where a target or aspiration cannot be met, a u-turn in policy or extension seems to be time honoured way of governments dealing with things.

Wherenext replied on 27/02/2021 19:04

Posted on 27/02/2021 19:04

Well we're nearly 10% into the proposed E Date and I can report a multi point increase in electricity charging stations in our area. Tesco have installed 2 new points at their store. That should bring a smile to the DoTs minions. No other public charging points within 10 miles apart from a couple of commercial outlets such as hotels etc.

A couple of years ago we were in Germany and in a small town/large village. There were a couple of blocks of low rise flats, about 30 units in each. Behind each one was 6 electric charging points for the use of the inhabitants. Not seen anything over here like this in the countryside.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook