Hobby Prestige UMFe 650 tow car?

JoannCasey replied on 07/07/2019 16:32

Posted on 07/07/2019 16:32

Hi, I am considering trading in our 2011 Bailey Pegasus 534 for a 2016 Hobby Prestige UMFe 650 twin axle. I have a couple of questions.

What are other club members experience of towing these size caravans in the UK (with our winding roads) 

Would our 2010 Volvo XC70 be a suitable match. We have 10 years towing experience.

Any advice and opinions gratefully received.

Tinwheeler replied on 07/07/2019 16:43

Posted on 07/07/2019 16:43

Give us a few clues, please.

What is the MTPLM of the Hobby and what is the kerb weight of your Volvo? What is the nose weight of the caravan and the max tow ball weight of the car? What is the legally permitted max weight the car can tow and it’s GTW?

What are the dimensions of the caravan as 'these size' doesn’t really help in terms of towing on our roads.

Sorry to seem picky but you’ve asked some rather vague questions.

replied on 07/07/2019 17:12

Posted on 07/07/2019 17:12

Why Hobby?

Most of these I see are used on seasonal pitches.

North Wales it's the caravan of choice.

Theres one of the things next door to me right now, door looking right at me, couple sat out under canopy, with accompanying chav lights, windbreak on my grass bit 

Dont do it

Tinwheeler replied on 07/07/2019 17:18

Posted on 07/07/2019 17:18

MTPLM of 1900kg! Goodness, that sounds like an unsuitable and probably illegal match to me but I’ll wait for the OP to suss out the other weights to be sure.

JoannCasey replied on 07/07/2019 20:09

Posted on 07/07/2019 20:09

Found the min kerb weight for the Volvo it is 1816kg and Max Braked towing 2100kg.

Could I have it re-plated at 1800kg? 

MIRO is 1651kg 

I thought they had changed the rules on needing a commercial vehicle for these larger caravans, the pictures of it on Hobby's website show it being towed with a normal car.

Why Hobby? Bailey Pegasus letting water in for the second time :( 

Otherwise might have to trade the XC70 for a Range rover.

I don't think I own any Chav lights :)

By this size I meant  over 8 feet wide as there are a number of UK models this wide now.

replied on 07/07/2019 20:15

Posted on 07/07/2019 20:15

Yes could be replated (don't know why you would wish to) but the body length of 7.15m still makes it illegal to tow in UK with a vehicle of less than 3.5 tonnes mgw. So definitely not behind most tow vehicles.

JoannCasey replied on 08/07/2019 19:28

Posted on 08/07/2019 19:28

To be honest I would love a van, our main pursuit is mountain biking and we could fit 3 or 4 bikes in a van and have a mini workshop in there as well. Not having 12k worth of bikes on display would be a bonus too. 

Also my husband has lost most of his hair so the Mullet to go with the Red Neck truck is not an option :)

I have given up the idea of Hobby and I'll look for something more sensible. Shame really, it was £12500 and immaculate inside and out,

One  dealer I contacted said the length and need to a commercial vehicle was a 'grey area' and there were lots of pictures on their website of people driving off with them with Porche 4x4 and similar. hmmmm. I have a strong preference for not breaking the law.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses :)

replied on 08/07/2019 19:34

Posted on 08/07/2019 19:34

One dealer I contacted said the length and need to a commercial vehicle was a 'grey area' and there were lots of pictures on their website of people driving off with them with Porche 4x4 and similar. hmmmm. I have a strong preference for not breaking the law.

I have broken the law on a number of occasions to further 'natural justice' laughing

However I would not fancy being pulled over on a roadside check to be told 'sorry sir, but we cannot allow you to tow that caravan, you need to arrange a commercial vehicle to remove it. Oh, and the fines will be in the post'  

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook