Indicators not working as should with my new Swift

Bob and Marie replied on 19/08/2019 17:11

Posted on 19/08/2019 17:11

Hi

I have a BMW X3 2009. I was informed that my hazard lights on the Swift van(2019) was pulsing whilst driving. On checking further i noted that my indicators were going really fast. I was informed by my caravan agent that i needed a VLM board fitted from Sergent of Beverley(they make the Command units and trackers for Swift Caravans). On fitting this i noted that with the ignition only on every thing works fine. However once i switch the engine on i get no indicators - those they are still flashing normally on the car. I am aware that my towbar is factory fitted and does not have a fridge/auxillary battery fitted in the loom. Does this make a difference. Any suggestions would be very useful as it appears to have everyone baffled.

Would a new UK loom fitted solve the problem or is it the caravan?

Bob Pattison

viatorem replied on 19/08/2019 17:43

Posted on 19/08/2019 17:43

There's a VLM A and B board depending on the age of your BMW A for early B for later beemers, I can't find any dates but maybe yours is A ?

Bob and Marie replied on 20/08/2019 12:38

Posted on 20/08/2019 12:38

Thanks for the reply. Sargent test 2 different boards- still same problem. They stated it was to do with no fridge/ auxiliary battery charge in the loom. This baffled me surely this would not stop indicators working ?

Bob and Marie replied on 20/08/2019 21:17

Posted on 20/08/2019 21:17

Oh yes - that desperate to find a solution. Also different people use the sites hence cover all basis.

I tried car on another new caravan at dealers without VLM board - responded same as original = pulsing hazard on all time. Indictors very fast  - though working. I have also tried car on friends caravan (2017) only difference was his lights are bulbs - not LSD - worked fine.  

JVB66 replied on 20/08/2019 21:31

Posted on 20/08/2019 21:17 by Bob and Marie

Oh yes - that desperate to find a solution. Also different people use the sites hence cover all basis.

I tried car on another new caravan at dealers without VLM board - responded same as original = pulsing hazard on all time. Indictors very fast  - though working. I have also tried car on friends caravan (2017) only difference was his lights are bulbs - not LSD - worked fine.  

Posted on 20/08/2019 21:31

That sounds like the problem that raised its head when led lighting was first introduced, some cars did not recognise the low power of leds on caravans and "thought"it was a bulb failure  ,I thought that the caravan manufacturers had it "sorted", I think some sort of resister was fitted to "fool" the cars lighting supply

lornalou1 replied on 23/08/2019 15:03

Posted on 20/08/2019 21:17 by Bob and Marie

Posted on 23/08/2019 15:03

perhaps thats the problem as LSD is a hallucinogenic and everything will flash after taking. winkwink(sorry)

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook