Matching your car to a caravan

MauriceJ replied on 01/08/2019 12:56

Posted on 01/08/2019 12:56

Well I have just sold my old unit and was looking to replace it with a newer one. I used the Match your car to your caravan tool here on the C&MHC Website and it is telling me that no new unit is compatible with any caravan under 10 years old.

How reliable is this tool and is there an alternative way of checking compatibility of car to caravan??

replied on 12/08/2019 14:51

Posted on 12/08/2019 14:43 by lornalou1

how would newby's know the difference between the two if only one is printed on the v5c. undecided

Posted on 12/08/2019 14:51

Or neither on mine smile

Lutz replied on 12/08/2019 21:02

Posted on 12/08/2019 14:43 by lornalou1

how would newby's know the difference between the two if only one is printed on the v5c. undecided

Posted on 12/08/2019 21:02

The term 'kerbweight' doesn't appear anywhere so he's only got mass in service to go by. Manufacturers aren't obliged to publish kerbweight so it won't be documented.

lornalou1 replied on 13/08/2019 12:09

Posted on 13/08/2019 12:09

you said earlier that there can be a big difference between the two, people who have been towing for years know that but beginners won't. If all the clubs and forums and dealers and matching services talk about kerbweights then that's what they will go on or try and find out, as you say, only mass in service is printed on most v5c's so why does every authority/club/dealer never say these weights. hope you understand were I'm coming from with this. cheers.

Lutz replied on 13/08/2019 13:40

Posted on 13/08/2019 12:09 by lornalou1

you said earlier that there can be a big difference between the two, people who have been towing for years know that but beginners won't. If all the clubs and forums and dealers and matching services talk about kerbweights then that's what they will go on or try and find out, as you say, only mass in service is printed on most v5c's so why does every authority/club/dealer never say these weights. hope you understand were I'm coming from with this. cheers.

Posted on 13/08/2019 13:40

The thing is, mass in service is a generic value that applies to all vehicles covered by the same type approval, regardless of what their actual weight is. This makes it easy to publish such data because it is largely independent of factory fitted options, some of which can weigh quite a lot.

Kerbweight, on the other hand, is an actual weight that is specific to each and every vehicle. To make any sense it must therefore be linked to each individual chassis number. It is therefore something that can't be listed in any brochure, handbook or database other than for general guidance purposes. A club, dealer, or towing compatibility website can never have kerbweight information because it's not documented anywhere.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook