New car time *excited much*

ScottishCouple replied on 22/09/2019 20:54

Posted on 22/09/2019 20:54

Looking at possibilities for our next towcar (will also be our everyday car). We have always bought 2nd hand, but have seen the towcar of the year brand new on an affordable (to us) lease deal (less than £390 per month with just over £1k upfront - only 8k miles per year but that's fine for us).

2 questions...

1. Has anyone seen it on a better deal?

2. Does anyone know if you can fit a tow bar to a lease car?

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

ScottishCouple replied on 23/09/2019 11:38

Posted on 23/09/2019 11:38

Hey, yeah so it is a personal lease deal that works out cheaper per month than a PCP. With the PCP you get the option of paying a load of cash at the end of the deal to own it which I can't see myself doing. With the Lease deal you pay an agreed amount up front and then a fixed rate per month for the term. At the end of the term you simply hand the car back so never own it, I'm fine with that tbh as all the cars I've owned have just been money pits and worth a lot less than I spend maintaining them lol.

DavidKlyne replied on 23/09/2019 15:03

Posted on 23/09/2019 11:38 by ScottishCouple

Hey, yeah so it is a personal lease deal that works out cheaper per month than a PCP. With the PCP you get the option of paying a load of cash at the end of the deal to own it which I can't see myself doing. With the Lease deal you pay an agreed amount up front and then a fixed rate per month for the term. At the end of the term you simply hand the car back so never own it, I'm fine with that tbh as all the cars I've owned have just been money pits and worth a lot less than I spend maintaining them lol.

Posted on 23/09/2019 15:03

I am sure you will enjoy your new car. At least you have a few years to consider what you do next. I did, many years ago, enter into such a deal on one of my cars but at the end of the term I found myself in the position where I had to decide to keep the car and re-mortgage it so the speak at the end of the agreement which I decided to do as I was very happy with the car and financially it was the easiest thing to do but probably not the best value wise? The new cars I had previously and since have all been purchased. I am fortunate that I no longer need a tow car and our everyday model does very little mileage so it would be a bit of an indulgence to change it after three years with only about 8000 miles on the clock!

David

EmilysDad replied on 24/09/2019 17:36

Posted on 24/09/2019 14:38 by lornalou1

I would not go for petrol when towing. Deep pockets required.

Posted on 24/09/2019 17:36

Indeed. I can't remember now which motorways services but we stopped briefly on our way home the other week. Fuel was £1.50 something a litre

BeenDoingItForYears replied on 28/09/2019 17:48

Posted on 28/09/2019 17:48

My lease is due to finish on my Mondeo soon so I'm in the process of shopping for a new one.  For me personal leasing is much better value than PCP.  I don't have to put up a massive deposit and I get a new car every 3 years.

More than likely the car would be a factory order as a tow bar is an optional extra.  If you get a car without one fitted you will need the lease companies permission to get one fitted and they might insist that is removed before returning and the car made good afterwards.  Plus they cost about the same anyway for factory or aftermarket.

But shop around.  My local Volkswagon dealer has told me they will try match any price I find through a broker

derekcyril replied on 28/09/2019 18:18

Posted on 28/09/2019 18:18

I should look at terms and conditions . small print . Son in law looked at one ,we had a look at it ,oops , changed his mind . 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook