Pin 9

Lunarcpl replied on 20/10/2019 20:15

Posted on 20/10/2019 20:15

Hello All. We have recently bought a new caravan that is fitted with an Alko ATC system. We were on the dealers change over pitches today (Sunday) and were hitched up and ready to go, but when I connected the electrics, it was obvious that the ATC wasn't working (no led's or noise). We had been on the pitch for two days, and the Dealer sited the van for us to collect.  Fortunately one of the dealers change over people were with another customer so I collared him. He was very helpful and pluged the caravan electrics into a portable test rig that proved the ATC, was working but not getting power from the car. So when I got home I did some googling and realised that pin 9 may not be connectec. So easy I thought test it with a multi meter, but then I read that if my car has a Cat Buz ? Using an ordinary meter may ruin the ECU, and a special meter has to be used, the car is two years old. I intend to have power supplied to pin 9 done professionaly, but would have liked to have satisfied  myself that that is the problem first.  I assumed when the tow bar and wiring were fitted, all relevant pins would have been connected,  but after looking on the Honda website direct 12v supply is an option. 

Phishing replied on 26/10/2019 19:14

Posted on 26/10/2019 08:17 by

I'm in full agreement Phishing, but can you really see CC Ltd doing as you suggest in your last para?

Posted on 26/10/2019 19:14

No.

But it only takes one case to set president and the car companies and aftermarket fitters would settle way before it got to court to avoid this.

Be nice if they started a campaign though.

Bite the hand that feeds them comes to mind!

Why not publish a list of car companies and aftermarket who guarantee fitment to the standard for the price they quote and name and shame those that don't?

I am surprised that automotive company legal representation has not applied functional safety review to this issue. They may concluded that if an accident happened, due to the failure of a caravan braking system (ATC), due to the negligence of the towbar supplier not meeting the published standard, that they would be liable and possibly charged with negligence or worse in the case of a death. This should be pointed out to them.

Failure of a critical safety system because they decided not to fit the components needed for safe operation is not acceptable. 

replied on 26/10/2019 19:42

Posted on 26/10/2019 19:42

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Phishing replied on 26/10/2019 20:11

Posted on 26/10/2019 19:42 by

I like your thinking but ultimately the responsibility for ensuring the rig is safe to use on the highway is that of the driver.  In many areas CC Ltd could do so much more for its customers but it consistently fails to do so.  It pretends to be a club but acts as a hard nosed commercial company.

Posted on 26/10/2019 20:11

Not in this case. The driver asks for a 12pin towbar fitment and is not responsible for the safe operation of this, the supplier is.

This is because the customer is deemed in law not to be a technical expert and not to have the knowledge or equipment to be able to make a reasonable judgement as to the compliance with an engineering standard. The supplier is.  

This does not negate the drivers responsibility to be safe on the highway but if the company contracted to fit the parts (whatever they are, tyres, brakes, towbar) fits sub standard parts then they may be liable to prosecution in the event of an accident attributed to the supply and fitment of those parts.

In this case I suggest that not fitting the supply to the braking system for reasons of cost saving to them is not acceptable.

Maybe we expect too much from the club as a body that is prepared to lobby on behalf members but they do have a legal team. The expectation to use this for the benefit of members is reasonable. 

replied on 26/10/2019 20:37

Posted on 26/10/2019 20:37

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

lornalou1 replied on 26/10/2019 22:00

Posted on 26/10/2019 20:11 by Phishing

Not in this case. The driver asks for a 12pin towbar fitment and is not responsible for the safe operation of this, the supplier is.

This is because the customer is deemed in law not to be a technical expert and not to have the knowledge or equipment to be able to make a reasonable judgement as to the compliance with an engineering standard. The supplier is.  

This does not negate the drivers responsibility to be safe on the highway but if the company contracted to fit the parts (whatever they are, tyres, brakes, towbar) fits sub standard parts then they may be liable to prosecution in the event of an accident attributed to the supply and fitment of those parts.

In this case I suggest that not fitting the supply to the braking system for reasons of cost saving to them is not acceptable.

Maybe we expect too much from the club as a body that is prepared to lobby on behalf members but they do have a legal team. The expectation to use this for the benefit of members is reasonable. 

Posted on 26/10/2019 22:00

like I said in earlier post, if customer asked for a towbar and electrics then that is what he got with all lights working. If he had asked for  dedicated electrics with all pins working ( so ATC would work) then its the supplier that's at fault for not fitting what was asked for.

Phishing replied on 27/10/2019 20:14

Posted on 26/10/2019 22:00 by lornalou1

like I said in earlier post, if customer asked for a towbar and electrics then that is what he got with all lights working. If he had asked for  dedicated electrics with all pins working ( so ATC would work) then its the supplier that's at fault for not fitting what was asked for.

Posted on 27/10/2019 20:14

Can you advise where in the published standard that it is an option to leave bits out?

This a legal document that defines the required circuits for safe operation of the equipment.

There is no option of not having these circuits fitted.

The reason for that is that the OP may not need these circuits for his current rig. He then sells the car to someone who does have ATC fitted.

Due to the fact that it doesn't have ATC feed fitted they crash and die. 

This is why it is not an option.

There is not such accepted terminology as towbar electrics, dedicated electrics etc, they are made up by the suppliers.

It is an  MOT fail not to have the correct towbar wiring on  a vehicle, i.e. pins 9 and 10 are not populated.

lornalou1 replied on 27/10/2019 21:43

Posted on 27/10/2019 20:14 by Phishing

Can you advise where in the published standard that it is an option to leave bits out?

This a legal document that defines the required circuits for safe operation of the equipment.

The reason for that is that the OP may not need these circuits for his current rig. He then sells the car to someone who does have ATC fitted.

There is not such accepted terminology as towbar electrics, dedicated electrics etc, they are made up by the suppliers.

It is an  MOT fail not to have the correct towbar wiring on  a vehicle, i.e. pins 9 and 10 are not populated.

Posted on 27/10/2019 21:43

Then why is it a popular question asked on here that BMW/Volvo/Audi and others have not fitted the relevant pins when fitting the electrics at the dealers. that means all owners could take the dealers to court for not fitting to relevant standards and it would be the new owners fault if they didn't check that the ATC worked when buying the caravan. wouldn't you check this and all lights worked before driving off and question why if they didn't work. I most certainly would and do.  

EmilysDad replied on 27/10/2019 23:44

Posted on 27/10/2019 20:14 by Phishing

Posted on 27/10/2019 23:44

But the MOT just tests the lighting side 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook