Realistic Tow Car

davidchristopherhook replied on 10/05/2021 16:14

Posted on 10/05/2021 16:14

We have just purchased a Swift Sprite Super Major 4SB at 1532kg.

I am looking at getting a Ford Kuga 2.0l 180PS to tow it.

I have done the comparison and it looks reasonable to tow the caravan, however what are peoples realistic thoughts on this. I think the comparison came out at 89%. I am a new tower.

Will I be safe towing the Kuga or realistically, do I need a bigger car?

Many Thanks

commeyras replied on 10/05/2021 17:06

Posted on 10/05/2021 17:06

Looks fine. the 80% is a guide rather than a rule.  It looks as though you will need Groups B+E on your licence as the total outfit weight may be over 3500kgs.  Watch the loading to ensure you keep within the plated MPTL of the caravan, a trip to the nearest weigh bridge would be useful when the caravan is fully loaded.  Check the nose weight, this is the max of either the car or the caravan, usually 100kgs but may be less and you should tow as near the max nose weight as possible.  If you have space in the car it is beneficial to put heavy stuff in the car eg awning.  

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook