The demise of the tow car?

mdr replied on 13/12/2016 10:30

Posted on 13/12/2016 10:30

The PCP on my car is shortly coming to an end, and I was wondering whether to swallow the pill and pay the balloon payment or change it for another one.   Looking around and reading the news I saw that our humble hobby is in danger of becoming a thing of the past due to the changes that are occurring at the moment, for example:

1. Germany and Norway have set a date to ban the sale of Fossil fuelled cars, in the not too distant future.  The Netherlands are on the verge of doing the same.

2. France is bringing in an act that everyone must show a clean vehicle sticker and that anyone without it will be prevented from entering the cities.

3. London and Manchester are talking about pollution levels, and looking at banning diesels.   And how long will it be before the UK follows the EU and sets a date to ban the sale of fossil fuelled cars?

4.  Traditional big cars like the LR Discovery are shedding 1/2 a ton to be more fuel efficient, making finding a tow car for the 2 tonne vans more of a challenge.

5.  Electric cars have a minimum range (some up to 200miles), I bet that this decreases significantly if you stick a caravan on the back.   Then imaging trying to charge your car at Motorway services with a caravan hooked up!

So where does that leave us and our hobby?   Will we still be able to buy a tow car in 5 years?   If we have a diesel car will we be able to use it to tour around once we have parked up our caravan?

So what does the future hold for us?   Any thoughts?

tigerfish replied on 09/08/2018 12:13

Posted on 09/08/2018 12:13

I agree N99, at nearly 74 a severe back problem has forced us to sell the caravan, and question whether we really need a big 3 litre tow vehicle any more.  But my ML350AMG is by far the best towing vehicle I have owned in 40 years of caravanning.  It runs on AdBLU and its recent MOT showed almost no pollutants, but to the dealers it is a dreaded diesel. Spotless and only 4 years old I shall probably keep it, pity the factory fitted tow bar will no longer be needed.

TF

davembk replied on 14/02/2020 00:51

Posted on 13/12/2016 11:16 by KeefySher

How long was your PCP for? How many miles is on the vehicle? Whats the vehicle? Has it been reliable? Are you confident in it's suitability to last a few more years? How long do you want to be towing for? Do you want to have a new vehicle?

Current production vehicles will have parts available for 10 years beyond end of model run.

If you want a vehicle to tow a 2 tonne caravan that will run and run, suggest a G Wagen either diesel or petrol. Would be good for 30 years.

Just been through the same process. New version of current car is lighter making it about 95%, can't get towbar for highest spec version.

Have pushed the button on a new vehicle, due April. It's diesel, Euro 6, and heavier than current car.

Posted on 14/02/2020 00:51

I agree that fossil fuel tow vehicle use can be prolonged way beyond the point when most cars on the road will be electric, assuming fossil fuel remains available of course.

But why struggle with this anxiety?

Why feel we need to continue hauling two ton 8 ft wide 30ft long conch shells in an age when small is the new beautiful?

An aggregate circa 5 ton car/caravan train, often just for the use of two people, not out of necessity but out of, in lot of cases a “look at me on my holiday” showcase need.

We all know that an Englishman’s car is his castle

But we all know too, that it’s utterly unsustainable and that these ancient mechanical puffing dinosaurs will disappear from our roads with the equal certainty of it being morning again soon. And rightly so, we’ve had it too good for too long.

Vulcan replied on 14/02/2020 16:26

Posted on 14/02/2020 00:51 by davembk

I agree that fossil fuel tow vehicle use can be prolonged way beyond the point when most cars on the road will be electric, assuming fossil fuel remains available of course.

But why struggle with this anxiety?

Why feel we need to continue hauling two ton 8 ft wide 30ft long conch shells in an age when small is the new beautiful?

An aggregate circa 5 ton car/caravan train, often just for the use of two people, not out of necessity but out of, in lot of cases a “look at me on my holiday” showcase need.

We all know that an Englishman’s car is his castle

But we all know too, that it’s utterly unsustainable and that these ancient mechanical puffing dinosaurs will disappear from our roads with the equal certainty of it being morning again soon. And rightly so, we’ve had it too good for too long.

Posted on 14/02/2020 16:26

And after we have got rid of all the internal combustion engines, gas boilers etc guess what, we will still have global warming just as we have for millions of years.

Freddy55 replied on 14/02/2020 16:36

Posted on 14/02/2020 16:26 by Vulcan

And after we have got rid of all the internal combustion engines, gas boilers etc guess what, we will still have global warming just as we have for millions of years.

Posted on 14/02/2020 16:36

Alternatively, I read an article that stated that the rise in temperatures we’ve seen in the last 50 years, took 20,000 years in the past.

ABM replied on 14/02/2020 17:21

Posted on 14/02/2020 17:21

Thinking only of those ICE vehicles !!

Brian looks back to his ( distant ) childhood when there were quite a few back street garages & workshops working away merrily on 1930's that is pre-war motors, keeping them running quite well. Vehicles like Austin 7, 10, 16 , Singers, Fords.

Are we really thinking that our engineering talent is so faded that we won't see similar workshops fettling up our Kia, Mitsi, Ducato  or whatever.

{ Still it's very good of  Davembk  to dig out this 2016 post tho'  quite brings back old times  wink }

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook