The new Subaru Legacy Outback (Petrol)

tigerfish replied on 07/05/2018 00:57

Posted on 07/05/2018 00:57

I'm currently driving a big Mercedes ML350 AMG but if i'm really honest it's bigger than I really need and as my days of caravanning are probably in their final season, I am casually looking round for a suitable replacement.  But I really dislike small cars and I like cars with all wheel drive and a decent raised viewpoint.  I cannot stand unreliability and so have always, prior to the current ML tended to favour Japanese cars.

Has anyone any knowledge and experience of the new 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5 litre Petrol engine version??  The Outback itself has a very good reputation and their Boxer engines have always been good although not the most frugal on fuel.

At 73, this is likely to be my last car.  I bought this ML second hand after owning another one from new for 7 years.  This one seems fine but its physically bigger than my 2011 ML300 and runs on low profile tyres which I don't like too much. The main reason for moving it on is that it developed brake problems due to incorrect maintenance and so I am nervous of its history. - daft I know, but once a car lets me down it has to go. It was all corrected under its S/H warranty but it shouldn't have happened.

So the Subaru is a possibility, - no hurry but it does seem to be a way of leaving the Diesel, but having a reasonably sized petrol engine.

Any thoughts?   

TF

EmilysDad replied on 07/05/2018 08:27

Posted on 07/05/2018 08:27

Keep the Merc  ..... you've only had it 5 mins 😉

Other than not stopping ..... which you car obviously does .... how did lack of or no maintenance of the brakes affect your car? The worst case could only be new discs & pads all round, and unless cheapo parts have been fitted, which I very much doubt, your car's brakes will now be back to as new.

Tinwheeler replied on 07/05/2018 09:19

Posted on 07/05/2018 09:19

I’m inclined to agree with MM. 

However, Subbies are excellent cars in my experience having had 6 of them over the years in various guises. The AWD system is superior to most. 

I wonder though, whether the Outback is over the top if you’re not primarily looking for a tow car, TF. Will you need anything that big or with 4wd if you’re only talking about a day to day car?

In your shoes I think I’d stick with the Merc and see how things pan out. Once you know for sure whether or not you need a tow car, you can re-evaluate. The market is flooded with new SUV models at present so the world will be your lobster, especially if you don’t need a tug. 

tigerfish replied on 07/05/2018 09:42

Posted on 07/05/2018 09:42

MM & TW, You are probably right,  This Merc is a lovely car.  The problem with the brakes was due to someone incorrectly fitting brake pads in the past.  The box they come in has two thick pads and two thin ones.  The thin ones are fitted to the inside surface of the disk and the thicker ones containing the sensor warning contacts, to the outer surface.  - The pillock who fitted the pads last time fitted two thick pads to the nearside rear wheel and two thin ones to the offside.  The thin pads wore down and because they did not contain any warning circuits the dashboard warning indicators gave no indication of trouble.  The badly warn pads really scored the disc surface and I heard a grating noise every time the brakes were applied.

What worries me is the quality of maintenance that this car has had in the past.  I am fanatical about maintenance and will always ensure that my cars are serviced at the correct time and that all parts are genuine manufacturers ones.  I'm just a bit uneasy about the treatment it might have had thats all.  You don't get a service book these days. - its all recorded at MB.  But it was repaired at MB expense so it didn't cost.  Will probably keep it, I suppose thats the problem with used cars!

I guess the reason that I was tempted, is that all dealers are desperate for sales at the moment, and there are some stinking deals about.  But you are right, will stick with the MB until I stop towing.  But I don't regard the Outback as a big car.  I have only used big heavy cars throughout my life, - either as patrol cars or privately, so to me the Subaru is not big, just normal.

TF

Tinwheeler replied on 07/05/2018 12:55

Posted on 07/05/2018 12:55

I'd definitely stick with it for now, TF.

If your servicing record is up to date on the MB system then there’s every chance everything is OK. It’s very likely that whoever changed the brake pads was just trying to save a few quid but he’d be unable to do his own servicing involving connecting the car to MB's diagnostics and downloading software to the ECU. So, if all that has been done and recorded, and now the brakes have been fixed, I wouldn’t think you’ve anything to worry about.

At one time I would have agreed with you about the size of the Outback, having also been a lover of big cars, but I find as I get older that cars are seeming to be bigger and bigger. smile

PS. Note that the Subbie auto, although good, is a CVT and not a TC.

tigerfish replied on 07/05/2018 15:37

Posted on 07/05/2018 15:37

After further thought I agree with you TW, Especially regarding the CVT transmission.  I much prefer a Torque Converter type.  The caravan will be around for a while yet, and the ML handles it like its not there!

Cornwall in June - usual place.

TF

Tinwheeler replied on 07/05/2018 16:01

Posted on 07/05/2018 16:01

I think that makes perfect sense, TF.

The TC is the best auto, especially for towing. I had a Subbie Forester with CVT auto and it was smooth and a joy to drive but....I didn’t use it as a tow car. 

Often the best way is to do nothing. Then, one day, the decision becomes obvious.

Enjoy West Penwith. We'll be headed the in other direction at that time. Nothing personal but the Outer Hebrides are calling.

paddlerchris replied on 11/05/2018 11:49

Posted on 11/05/2018 11:49

I have had a 2016 2.5 petrol outback from new, & absolutly love it, the CVT is a revalation, totaly seamless shifts & always in the right "gear". Having moved from a freelander2, Its in a different league altogether. obviously it's not going to be as frugal as a diesel, I'm getting mid 30's solo, mid 20's towing, But the handling, traction and overall drive is excelent. It's full of tech, the "eye sight" adaptive cruisecontrol system is amazing. Whilst its not the biggest estate car / SUV around it has plenty of room for the two of us + two dogs. its easy to load the roof with my canoes & kayaks as it's not a tall SUV.

Big Blue replied on 26/11/2019 14:21

Posted on 26/11/2019 14:21

Hi Paddlechris

I am looking at a 2018 2.5 Outback CVT - my van has an MTPLM of 1450 - the car looks great but I am slightly concerned that a) will there be enough torque / power b) how will the cvt perform? Are you able to give me an update on your experiences and tell me what weight of van you have etc? Many thanks

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook