Towcar of the Year 2020 Winners

RowenaBCAMC replied on 20/09/2019 16:38

Posted on 20/09/2019 16:38

Congratulations to Volvo on winning the Caravan and Motorhome Club's Towcar of the Year Award 2020.

There were 36 entrants tested over the summer in the industry's premier towcar competition but it was the Volvo who was crowned victorious, also winning the Caravan Weight 1400kg - 1500kg category with their XC40 D4 AWD R-Design Pro.

A significant breakthrough in the competition was made by Jaguar, whose all-electric entry won its category.

You can view all the winners here: 2020 Winners

You can also find a full round up of the competition here:

birderbilly replied on 21/09/2019 00:43

Posted on 21/09/2019 00:43

The most bizarre category winner is the up to 1,150kg caravan weight. The winner, the Jag I-Pace, has, in their words not mine a "slightly limited towing capacity" of 750kg ! Happy to be proved wrong but I can't find a single (new) caravan in the UK that weighs less than 750kg. Oh and this car costs £65,000.

Oneputt replied on 21/09/2019 09:41

Posted on 21/09/2019 09:41

TCOY has absolutely no value to me and I suspect loads of others.  The results are predictable VW group and often Land rover.  Wouldn't touch a VW with a barge pole and during a recent trip we saw 4 Land rovers on recovery trucks, I x RR and 3 x Discovery Sports.

I want something reliable and robust.  Last trip we did 2600 actual towing miles, returned 29.8 MPG and stayed at 2 sites that were over 2500 feet high.  My car is 8 years old and has approx 103k miles on the clock.  Next car I buy will be 2nd hand and will be from the Far East.  How come TCOY very rarely have Far Eastern cars as winners when in every other car review they come out as most reliable. 

Cynic in me wonders if its down to money

lornalou1 replied on 21/09/2019 11:09

Posted on 21/09/2019 11:09

Don't understand this club. They have a tow test every year outside the NEC caravan show and a line of Jeep Grand Cherokee's for you to have a go at towing, but they never have them on the TCOY awards. They don't even do real time testing on a motorway being passed by white van man doing 80+mph and HGV's pushing you closer to the hard shoulder, all done on a test track in good conditions. Until they test every single vehicle then this is a complete waste of time and money.  

Takethedogalong replied on 21/09/2019 11:26

Posted on 21/09/2019 11:26

It’s a nice jolly for the Club, but not that realistic in terms of the reality of what might be found living and using a particular vehicle. Mind, it’s convinced me that it will be a while before a realistic electric tow car will be along. And a Volvo as the outright winner.....now there’s a surprise😂

DavidKlyne replied on 21/09/2019 12:08

Posted on 21/09/2019 11:09 by lornalou1

Don't understand this club. They have a tow test every year outside the NEC caravan show and a line of Jeep Grand Cherokee's for you to have a go at towing, but they never have them on the TCOY awards. They don't even do real time testing on a motorway being passed by white van man doing 80+mph and HGV's pushing you closer to the hard shoulder, all done on a test track in good conditions. Until they test every single vehicle then this is a complete waste of time and money.  

Posted on 21/09/2019 12:08

As I understand it if it wasn't featured in the test then the reason is most likely to be that A) There was no new model to test and B) the Manufacturer didn't submit a model for testing. I would imagine the Club have to have the permission of any car maker to put one of their cars through such a test?

I thought it an interesting little film.  

David

Takethedogalong replied on 21/09/2019 12:44

Posted on 21/09/2019 12:44

It was a rather misleading little film, for anyone new to towing and looking to purchase a car. All carried out on a test track by the looks of it, with some professional driver input. Carefully controlled tests, a world away from the kind of conditions every tow journey is likely to throw up, no wet roads, no side winds, no hint of an exposed bridge, no 40 ton HGV overtaking you making the tail wag the dog, no mud when pitching up, no super tight site roads, (how many folks don’t have a motor mover nowadays, other than us?), a mere 36 cars involved out of how many hundreds realistically to choose from? I didn’t even spot one vehicle coming in the opposite direction, let alone having to pull up on a sixpence because the idiot in front of you has tailgated another car! And finally, surprise, surprise the overall Winner is a Volvo. Good cars, but a nice cosy little business deal with the Club hardly lends itself to total impartiality. Best of the 36 I wouldn’t doubt.

On the plus side, it might prompt some into checking weights, loading, making sure everything works before heading off, so not all a waste of time. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook