Towing mirrors for 2018/19 BMW X5

JohnWirral replied on 20/10/2019 11:06

Posted on 20/10/2019 11:06

Hi all

Next question about our new car. We've had Milenco Aero mirrors since 2018 when we started caravanning, BUT the clamp is too narrow to fit the door mirrors on new car. I bought a new clamp but still doesn't fit. 

Can anyone recommend an alternative please?  

Many thanks in advance

John

Tyke replied on 20/10/2019 21:38

Posted on 20/10/2019 21:38

Don’t even think of a clamp on mirror. They will crack your door mirror casing. You could have the mirror casing taken off and packed with a goo that sets rock solid.

Go for the actual BMW brand or the equivalent EMUK (I think that’s the name) who seem to make the BMW ones. They’re upwards of £130 but that’s nothing compared to the value of the car and they are superb, rock steady and don’t need adjusting every trip.

i think you’ll find the mirrors from an X3 as far back as 2016 will also fit but try them.

lornalou1 replied on 20/10/2019 21:55

Posted on 20/10/2019 21:38 by Tyke

Don’t even think of a clamp on mirror. They will crack your door mirror casing. You could have the mirror casing taken off and packed with a goo that sets rock solid.

Go for the actual BMW brand or the equivalent EMUK (I think that’s the name) who seem to make the BMW ones. They’re upwards of £130 but that’s nothing compared to the value of the car and they are superb, rock steady and don’t need adjusting every trip.

i think you’ll find the mirrors from an X3 as far back as 2016 will also fit but try them.

Posted on 20/10/2019 21:55

I bet 90% of caravanners use clamp-on mirrors and never have a problem.

Tyke replied on 21/10/2019 09:15

Posted on 21/10/2019 09:15

They are the EMUK brand which I recommended and are, I think, identical to the BMW brand.

I’m one of the 10% who did have a problem. What’s the point penny-pinching with a new car worth £50k or £60k?

JohnWirral replied on 13/11/2019 20:04

Posted on 13/11/2019 20:04

Hi all

Many thanks for the replies, we had gone to the caravan show but didn't see anything likely to fit. Asked BMW dealer we bought the car from, they couldn't find the BMW ones on their system. So we bought the ones on the link posted by Whittakerr. Arrived really quickly from Germany. They fit easily and looks like they shouldn't need adjusting every time they're put on and as Whittakerr says rock steady. Well worth the extra imo and would recommend anyone looking for mirrors to check this brand.

Many thanks again

John

PS after first trip away with X5 as towcar, it towed brilliantly (Swift Elegance 580). I now know what others mean when they say they didn't know they were towing 

Glenn T replied on 06/04/2020 16:06

Posted on 06/04/2020 16:06

I have just bought a new BMW X3  On my recently sold X1, I used Milenco Aero 3, they fitted fine, but not so on the new car. I saw somewhere on this site a gent had bought towing mirrors for his X3 from Repusel. Have a look at www.repusel.com    Excellent service, they arrived in 3 to 4 day,  £125. Have fitted them onto the car in the drive, seem very secure. Collected car on last day before the lockdown.Cant wait to get back on site.

These may also fit the X5 email your request  Good Luck

bel1 replied on 18/04/2020 09:35

Posted on 18/04/2020 09:35

Great series of posts. I have a 2017 X5 (40D) sport to which I use Milenco mirrors, which have cracked the casing on both mirrors. I have asked BMW on purchase and at each service if BMW make or recommend any specific towing mirrors to which I get the same reply- NO!

Will now explore Whittaker's recommendation - thankyou.

ps Love my X5- but notice the oil temperature rises quite a bit when towing in the mountains or when external temperature are high. Car has  factory fitted towing gear and all BMW modification to the cooling system. Have discussed this with BMW and they said do not worry, the electronics will not allow and damage to occur.

Mono Micky replied on 22/06/2020 22:12

Posted on 21/10/2019 07:14 by Whittakerr

I've got a 2019 X5 and had the same problem with my old Milenco mirrors.

I bought theses.

https://www.wohnwagen-spiegel.de/wohnwagenspiegel-bmw-x5-f15-sp49-1415

Great mirrors. Easy to fit and no vibration whatsoever.

Posted on 22/06/2020 22:12

I too have Milenco and have just bought a n X5 and the Milencos dont fit. Are these OK for the 2019 X5 M50D? I put my VIN onto the BMW site for the genuine BMW X5 mirrors and it said not suitable for my vehicle.

Also, I dont speak German and feel uncomfortable ordering from the link as nothing is in English and not really sure what I am clicking on.

Can I view/order the website/product in English? or (sorry for sounding daft) can you tell me what I should click on to get the product if suitable for the X5 M50D?

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook