Towing with an Automatic

Sandgroper replied on 17/10/2019 17:27

Posted on 17/10/2019 17:27

Hi, still looking at a potential new car for next year. A number of options are 'automatic' which may not be a bad idea in my old age. I have driven auto's so I am quite familiar with them but would be interested in views on their use as tow cars.

More specifically the options in my sights atm are Ford Mondeo Powershift and the Mercedes 2litre diesels. I hope to buying something like 2017 or newer versions if that makes a difference.

Any comments would be helpful.

EmilysDad replied on 18/10/2019 12:08

Posted on 18/10/2019 11:39 by flatcoat

The latest Ford powershifts are TC boxes from about 2016. I have driven and towed with 2 cars with VAG  DSG well over 100k miles. If serviced properly there isnt a problem with the wet clutch versions however best to avoid the dry clutch types. 

Posted on 18/10/2019 12:08

however best to avoid the dry clutch types.

... which I believe applies to both the DSG & Powershift.

DS3 replied on 21/10/2019 02:23

Posted on 21/10/2019 02:23

I have towed my whole driving life with manauls until two years ago when I bought my Rexton. The Mercedes 7 speed gearbox is a proper auto with a torque converter, and I wish I had gone over to an auto years ago.

I won't be having a manual car anytime soon. No anxiety worrying about getting stopped in traffic on a hill, or pulling away on hills and buring the clutch out.

Just foot off the brake, foot on the throttle and away you go. It is so much easier and stress free. I love it, and I never thought I would say that.

EmilysDad replied on 21/10/2019 23:06

Posted on 21/10/2019 02:23 by DS3

I have towed my whole driving life with manauls until two years ago when I bought my Rexton. The Mercedes 7 speed gearbox is a proper auto with a torque converter, and I wish I had gone over to an auto years ago.

I won't be having a manual car anytime soon. No anxiety worrying about getting stopped in traffic on a hill, or pulling away on hills and buring the clutch out.

Just foot off the brake, foot on the throttle and away you go. It is so much easier and stress free. I love it, and I never thought I would say that.

Posted on 21/10/2019 23:06

Most people say the same after they've given an auto a proper go .....

2 pedals good ... 3 pedals bad 😉

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook