Tyre Pressures

Colin Dav replied on 31/08/2019 18:53

Posted on 31/08/2019 18:53

Hi everybody. New to caravanning here. Just a basic question really. My Mk2 S-Max has normal everyday running tyre pressures of 35 psi all round.

When towing the indiscated  tyre pressure should be 41 psi front and 45 psi rear.  I plan to do a number of long weekend trips with the van.

The question is, How does everybody manage tyre pressures, Do you pump thgem up and then klet them back down when you reach your chosen site.

Does anybody have their own tyre inflator and if so can anyone recommend a good accurate reliable one.

Thanks all

Colin

replied on 18/09/2019 08:07

Posted on 18/09/2019 08:07

The 12volt inflators are OK for normal car pressures but caravan tyres are usually way above that and the inflator gets hot. You wait a while and gain another couple of pounds, then let it cool off again

Works fine for me and rarely need more than 1 or 2 extra psi anyway. Some pumps are rated higher than others

EmilysDad replied on 18/09/2019 08:17

Posted on 18/09/2019 07:47 by

The phrase that came to mind MM was along the lines of 'Read the Flaming Manual' or similar. 

Posted on 18/09/2019 08:17

Excatly ... RTFM innocent

Phishing replied on 22/09/2019 00:01

Posted on 22/09/2019 00:01

Like most things, tyre pressures don't matter significantly until you realise that they significantly matter. Then its usually too late.

A few examples:

My last car my much beloved Shogun recommended increased the tyre pressures for towing, but then I could have been towing a 3.5T trailer with 150kg on the ball. 

My current Santa Fe does not need any adjustment but then it is a very big heavy beast and runs on pretty sturdy high load rated tyres anyway.

The point is that the recommended pressures and loads are calculated by smart people who are trying to keep you safe whilst avoiding litigation.

In many cases the weight is not the primary concern, it is the lateral distortion of the tyre when you get a wobble, this can reduce the tyre contact to a tenth of what you need to keep your shiny side up.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook