VW Touareg Mk3 (2018 on) - Standard Coil Springs

noob replied on 09/11/2020 13:27

Posted on 09/11/2020 13:27

Hi all

We're about to purchase a Touareg R-line Tech, 2019 or 2020. Ideally I'd like to find one with air suspension however I'm struggling to find anything in our price range.

I've driven the R-line tech on standard coil springs and find the ride perfectly acceptable. Coming from a large estate car on sports suspension, I really don't mind a firmer ride and have always found it beneficial for my motion sickness prone children (And myself as a passenger, if I'm being perfectly honest).

However, I can't find any review or forum comments about towing on standard springs for this generation Touareg. Does anybody have any experience towing with the standard R-line suspension? Do you see much of a drop at the rear with a van hooked up? Is it likely to affect stability towing? 

We have a 2018 Sussex Coneyhurst (Lunar 586) which the Touareg will have no problem pulling and currently pack with a 75 to 80kg nose weight due to the limitations of our current car.

Thanks

noob replied on 14/11/2020 17:44

Posted on 13/11/2020 14:51 by EmilysDad

... That alone wouldn't justify the need for air suspension.

Nobody needs air suspension, but it's very nice to have whether you're towing or not. The self levelling function is just an added bonus.

Posted on 14/11/2020 17:44

Absolutely. Availability and budget may well dictate here!

EmilysDad replied on 14/11/2020 21:17

Posted on 14/11/2020 17:44 by noob

Absolutely. Availability and budget may well dictate here!

Posted on 14/11/2020 21:17

... and budget may well dictate here!

OP is looking at 19 or 20 plate cars .... that's quite a budget 😉

Just realised .. you are the OP 🙄

noob replied on 14/11/2020 21:42

Posted on 14/11/2020 21:42

laughing Bonkers isn't it, for that much money you'd think it would be easy to find something with air suspension. In fact I've just started browsing Q7s. There are plenty of reasonably low mile 2018 models, TDI 50 s-line with air suspension and within budget..

I'd sooner a toerag and so would the Mrs. They're a bit more our style. I guess they just haven't sold in the same numbers as the Audi for there to be as many used examples in the desired spec.

I have found some very good offers on the v6 TSI toerags. I can only assume they're struggling to shift them due to the fuel consumption? But one dealer was literally trying to throw one at me. Have to say, I'm quite tempted. We only drive around 8k miles a year (both commuting on the train) so the poor fuel consumption doesn't really bother me. And it's a cracking engine with lots of low down grunt.

Whatever the weather (unless something jumps up at me) we've decided to put this on hold until after the lockdown. I want to drive a Q7 and the TSI toerag, which is obviously not possible at the moment..

noob replied on 20/11/2020 09:39

Posted on 20/11/2020 09:39

Managed to find a 2019 R-line tech with air suspension and 4 wheel steering, plus factory towbar. Deposit paid, expecting delivery at the end of next week. Thanks for all the replies!

KeithL replied on 24/11/2020 11:39

Posted on 20/11/2020 09:39 by noob
Managed to find a 2019 R-line tech with air suspension and 4 wheel steering, plus factory towbar. Deposit paid, expecting delivery at the end of next week. Thanks for all the replies!

Posted on 24/11/2020 11:39

enjoy!!

deepblue1 replied on 18/04/2021 23:34

Posted on 09/11/2020 13:27 by noob

Hi all

We're about to purchase a Touareg R-line Tech, 2019 or 2020. Ideally I'd like to find one with air suspension however I'm struggling to find anything in our price range.

I've driven the R-line tech on standard coil springs and find the ride perfectly acceptable. Coming from a large estate car on sports suspension, I really don't mind a firmer ride and have always found it beneficial for my motion sickness prone children (And myself as a passenger, if I'm being perfectly honest).

However, I can't find any review or forum comments about towing on standard springs for this generation Touareg. Does anybody have any experience towing with the standard R-line suspension? Do you see much of a drop at the rear with a van hooked up? Is it likely to affect stability towing? 

We have a 2018 Sussex Coneyhurst (Lunar 586) which the Touareg will have no problem pulling and currently pack with a 75 to 80kg nose weight due to the limitations of our current car.

Thanks

Posted on 18/04/2021 23:34

Hi,

We have a 2018 (3rd Gen) VW Touareg RLine Tech with standard steel springs.  We have a 2020 Twin Axel Elddis 860 with a measured nose weight of 100kg.  The caravan is correctly loaded and our axel weight is within spec.  I have the answer that you are need and unfortunately it is not pretty! I found out the hard way that this Touareg is completely incapable of delivering upon VW’s towing capability promise.  We put two suitcases in the boot (trunk) and put the caravan on the back and the back of the car squats so badly the following happens:

The clearance between the tyre & wheel arch drops to 4cm at the back front lifts to 15cm.

The caravan nose drops so the front of the van only clears the ground by 18-20cm

The front steering becomes so light it gives very little confidence or feedback.

The icing on the cake is the failure of the Radar mounted behind the huge VW badge on the front grill of the vehicle.  Because the nose of the car is pointing in the air, the automatic levelling radar moves out of range and shuts down the Cruise Control, Accident Avoidance System, Pedestrian Impact Avoidance, Lane Departure etc and causes a huge stream of error messages to appear on the screen in the car every time you start it.  Unfortunately you would expect these codes to disappear after you remove the caravan!  Unfortunately not,  you need to book it into the VW dealer and get them to remove the codes because any normal aftermarket code reader will not clear the codes and they have to be done by the dealer!  I have the very latest VCDS (VAG COM) diagnostics hardware and it still does clear the codes!!

So in an attempt to overcome this, I bought suspension spring packers and do not put more than half a tank of fuel in the car.  Unfortunately it makes absolutely no difference and within 20-50 miles it fails!

Our warranty runs out on the car next month and I’m not going to start paying extortionate dealer fees and having to wait 3 weeks in order for the dealer to clear the huge string of fault codes we get from towing.  I am so disappointed with this car (we also had a MK2 Touareg for five years) that I am buying a BMW X5 which has air suspension as standard.

I spoke to my local VW Dealer, they don’t care.

noob replied on 23/04/2021 01:32

Posted on 23/04/2021 01:32

That's a real shame you've had issues. Sounds like you have an awful local VW dealer. Have you tried escalating to VW UK?

As you can see I bought a gen3 Touareg with air suspension about 7 months ago. I've towed several times with it. First fully loaded trip last week to a CL in Battle and it's a fantastic tow car.
I load our Lunar so it sat with it's max nose weight of 100kg also. Had an awning kids bikes and a whole bunch of other guff in the boot along with 90 litres of diesel in the tank. The car sat perfectly level and towed like a dream. No error codes and in fact I've grown to like using ACC and used it for the majority of the time I was towing. I'd feel quite short changed it that stopped working.

Hope you get on better with an X5!

richardandros replied on 23/04/2021 05:43

Posted on 23/04/2021 05:43

Deepblue - it sounds to me as is something is seriously wrong with your car.  OK - so mine has raised and stiffened suspension, but I doubt it makes THAT much difference.  I usually aim for a nose weight of about 95kg and the suspension hardly compresses at all with the van on the back, boot full of large, heavy awning, Weber BBQ, EHU cable, dog in cage, few cases of winesmile and all the other junk I take with us.

noob replied on 23/04/2021 09:11

Posted on 23/04/2021 09:11

I've driven the Gen3 R-line on coil springs. It's a much stiffer spring than the SE or SEL. As firm if not firmer than my air suspension on Sport setting. I'm seriously surprised you're seeing that much compression.

As richardandros say's, it sounds like yours has a serious problem

Tirril replied on 23/04/2021 21:08

Posted on 23/04/2021 21:08

I currently tow with a Range Rover Sport and previously Discoveries with air suspension which as others have said is a definite advantage. One thing not mentioned but which I find really helpful is the ability to lower and raise the height of the tow vehicle (from a button in the boot). It makes unhitching and hitching up really effortless. Especially hitching up with no more lifting the caravan onto the ball which at 100kg gets physical (even on the jockey winder when it is carrying the full load).

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook