February Magazine - Nick Lomas EVs

RollerMan181 replied on 29/01/2021 12:55

Posted on 29/01/2021 12:55

I started to read the Nick Lomas' article published in this month’s magazine regarding the transition towards electric vehicles with scepticism at first. Having owned two electric vehicles for over 4 years, I have seen so much biased reporting by ill informed journalists or in journals with “other” agendas that are clearly out to recredit EVs, that I thought here we go again.

So it started off well, then I got to the bombshell. The article states that running costs are lower and implies that, this will go a long way to offset the initial costs of purchase.  Very true, in my case, the cost of the lease and low charging costs mean that I can run an EV for much less than that of a comparable petrol or diesel car. Then he states that it costs £20 to charge “at home”!  Where on earth did he get that figure from? Well done he just may have alienated thousands of potential people thinking about converting to an EV.

Please find below the true cost of charging at home on an Economy 7 tariff

KIA SOUL EV (30KWh battery). To charge from 50% to 100%  will give a total range of 130 miles in summer, 100 miles in winter)

DAY RATE £2.47 plus vat @5%

NIGHT RATE £1.59 plus vat @5%

The latest KIA SOUL EV, (64KWh battery) for comparison will do more than twice the range, so to charge from 50% to 100% :-

DAY RATE £5.28 plus vat @5%

NIGHT RATE £2.97 plus vat @5%

I have Economy 7 tariff and additionally I have solar panels, so when the sun is shining, any excess electricity goes in to my car. So I can charge for free sometimes. Even at Public chargers that charge 30p per KW, I’ve never got anywhere near paying £20. Last year I did 10k miles for less than £300.

So to allow people to make informed decisions,  could you please add a correction in next month's magazine.

David Bell

Moved from the Story Section

JVB66 replied on 16/02/2021 10:51

Posted on 16/02/2021 08:40 by Rocky 2 buckets

You are thinking for 2021, when oil burners are banned the charging system will be up to speed👍🏻. 14 years is a lifetime in technology advancement terms.

Posted on 16/02/2021 10:51

But then the higher the speed of recharging, comes with (so I have been told) the higher requirement of power supplies, surprised

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 16/02/2021 13:05

Posted on 16/02/2021 10:36 by JVB66

When EVs Can do what a diesel engined car will do in mpg with a c/van on the hook, then it may be a possible alternative surprised

Posted on 16/02/2021 13:05

It’s going to be law JV, folk can bleat all they like it’s on its way-period👍🏻

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 16/02/2021 13:08

Posted on 16/02/2021 10:51 by JVB66

But then the higher the speed of recharging, comes with (so I have been told) the higher requirement of power supplies, surprised

Posted on 16/02/2021 13:08

It’s 14 years away-it’ll be good to go by then. It will be for those who will be well on board re the planet & environment. Think on-‘look after our Planet it’s the only one we have’👍🏻

brue replied on 16/02/2021 13:25

Posted on 10/02/2021 15:06 by JVB66

Real world?undecided I think this man is quite an expert on what he advises cool 

Ps as the review of the Nero states, the mile per charge is possible as long as it is not at motorway speedssurprised

Posted on 16/02/2021 13:25

We've found that motorway speeds work quite well at regenerating the energy in our EV...so do some types of slow speeds. It's a completely different approach to driving and a different mind set.

Much of the evidence is out there JVB.

If this is solely about towing a caravan with an EV it might be that caravans become a thing of the past and electrified motorhomes become the more economical norm. We hear a lot from the EV manufacturers but very little from the caravan makers, are they working together at all or just waiting for the end?!

trellis replied on 16/02/2021 16:41

Posted on 15/02/2021 23:16 by Rocky 2 buckets

You’ll go to ‘fuel stations’ the fuel being electric not diesel or petrol. Folk don’t have diesel or petrol pumps on their property so they don’t need electric charge points. We will manage it as we do all vehicle fuel. When it gets low-fill it up👍🏻

Posted on 16/02/2021 16:41

Slight difference between a fuel tank under your drive and what is basically a glorified extension lead 😀. Looking towards the future means acting now  , and as I said earlier I'm simply not seeing it . Small independent builders  yes , we have two new builds next to us and both have EV charging points installed.  Unfortunately the big companies are still working on maximum profit , minimum input , so until the government make it mandatory  nothing is going to change .

JVB66 replied on 16/02/2021 16:47

Posted on 16/02/2021 13:25 by brue

We've found that motorway speeds work quite well at regenerating the energy in our EV...so do some types of slow speeds. It's a completely different approach to driving and a different mind set.

Much of the evidence is out there JVB.

If this is solely about towing a caravan with an EV it might be that caravans become a thing of the past and electrified motorhomes become the more economical norm. We hear a lot from the EV manufacturers but very little from the caravan makers, are they working together at all or just waiting for the end?!

Posted on 16/02/2021 16:47

Your EV being a Small BM with range extender? Or has that changedinnocent

I have read several "real world " tests ,and if commercial vehicles conversions are going to be Evs then they will need very big batteries to make them viable for other than local journeys as the last thing companies will want is downtimes with their vehicle to be charged,

Amazon are making big play they are using EVs but they do not advise of the add vehicles they have had to purchase, to make it possible to keep their drivers working by changing to a ready charged vehicle

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 16/02/2021 17:11

Posted on 16/02/2021 16:41 by trellis

Slight difference between a fuel tank under your drive and what is basically a glorified extension lead 😀. Looking towards the future means acting now  , and as I said earlier I'm simply not seeing it . Small independent builders  yes , we have two new builds next to us and both have EV charging points installed.  Unfortunately the big companies are still working on maximum profit , minimum input , so until the government make it mandatory  nothing is going to change .

Posted on 16/02/2021 17:11

The future is just that the future. The World has been home to Luddites for centuries, flat earthers too. At some point the future becomes now. No offence intended but I prefer to talk to folk who can envisage a future without smoke belching killer cars rather than embrace them👍🏻

JVB66 replied on 16/02/2021 17:20

Posted on 16/02/2021 13:05 by Rocky 2 buckets

It’s going to be law JV, folk can bleat all they like it’s on its way-period👍🏻

Posted on 16/02/2021 17:20

No bleating on my part? just be interesting when the UK and other governments around the world it seems come into the real world and realise what they are "aiming for" is not achievable, unless they commit to an investment In the infrastructure that is required,  that would put what the pandemic has cost in the shadesurprised 

The UK transport minister when pushed has admitted that the large infrastructure costings required have yet to be looked at in detailundecided

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 16/02/2021 18:01

Posted on 16/02/2021 17:20 by JVB66

No bleating on my part? just be interesting when the UK and other governments around the world it seems come into the real world and realise what they are "aiming for" is not achievable, unless they commit to an investment In the infrastructure that is required,  that would put what the pandemic has cost in the shadesurprised 

The UK transport minister when pushed has admitted that the large infrastructure costings required have yet to be looked at in detailundecided

Posted on 16/02/2021 18:01

It’s a pity you aren’t at the heart of Govt because-industry, tech leaders, scientists & World Govts are convinced it is achievable & will work🤷🏻‍♂️what do they knew eh?🙄. You wait till Joe Biden reads your post JV he’s gonna feel such a fool pumping $Trillions into Planet friendly vehicles in America.

trellis replied on 16/02/2021 18:22

Posted on 16/02/2021 17:11 by Rocky 2 buckets

The future is just that the future. The World has been home to Luddites for centuries, flat earthers too. At some point the future becomes now. No offence intended but I prefer to talk to folk who can envisage a future without smoke belching killer cars rather than embrace them👍🏻

Posted on 16/02/2021 18:22

What a strange reply to what was just an observation !.and where did the "embracing smoke belching killer cars "come from?. I'm actually fully in favour of EV 's .

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook