Awnings

Yvonne and Dave replied on 01/05/2021 14:18

Posted on 01/05/2021 14:18

Brand new to campervanning Our Renault Trafic arrives next weekend.  We need help please:

Easiest and quickest one for one person to do alone?

Drive away - have awning rail on van, which type of awning, air, pole, or steel pole?

Fitted ground sheet or not?

2m to 2.5m sizes 

Waterproof,  UV protection of 50 essential due to health condition is the reason for this 

Many thanks

Yvonne

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

no one replied on 04/05/2021 18:51

Posted on 04/05/2021 18:51

I have The 'Older mk1 face lift Trafic, we have used a Sunncamp Motorbuddy 250 (2.5mx2.5m plus tunnel) for the last 2 years, its poled with separate ground sheet, pretty sturdy but takes two to put up. This year we bought an Outdoor Revolution  Cayman Air. it has a semi fixed ground sheet and can be put up by one person in 30 pumps and a few pegs, its a bit larger (3.0x3.0m plus tunnel, however its worth it as all 4 sides can open up completely, downside is it is a fair bit heavier and more bulky when folded than the Motorbuddy, We use a drive away system for ease.

TonyIshUK replied on 07/05/2021 21:39

Posted on 07/05/2021 21:39

In general terms, air awnings are heavy, in one piece and can be a pain to find storage for.

Framed awnings can be fitted into several bags and distributed around the vehicle.

Some awnings have fitted ground sheets which are great you are separated from a lot of creepy crawlies.

Down side is that a number of sites that have grass pitches ask that ground sheets be lifted to air the grass and stop it going yellow for the next happy camper.

Tis a learning curve ;-)

rgds

Takethedogalong replied on 08/05/2021 10:40

Posted on 08/05/2021 10:40

You have a very usable tourer there, easy to use as a day van off pitch when away. If it was me, I wouldn’t be attaching it to anything too fixed, so either a side mounted roll out canopy, possibly with sides if that’s what you want, or a drive away from type that is easy to detach and re attach to each day. 
As for the health condition, suggest UV proof clothing, hat and high sun factor cream, that way you are protected all day. My OH had to keep out of sun during Chemo. It worked for him. Good outdoor clothing tends to wash and dry quickly, keeps you cool and is very comfortable.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook