Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act, 1960

BirchHillFarmCL replied on 08/09/2019 19:06

Posted on 08/09/2019 19:06

Although the CAMC may have 'gold plated' some aspects of the 1960 Act, the 5-van part of it is a key aspect that cannot be changed without reviewing the whole Act.

That simply isn't going to happen - it is too big a piece of legislation, with too many interested parties, including Club-owned sites, CLs, ralliers, and more significantly, the trade organisations of static caravan sites, such as the British Holiday & Home Parks Association.

Clubs such as the CAMC and C&CC have too much to lose if a review of the Act goes in the wrong direction.

The other factor if trying to change the Act is that the government has different priorities at present, so anyone trying to change the 1960 Act would just be wasting their time.

The 5-van limit was a concession to landowners to avoid the need for small sites to go through the full process of Planning Permission.  Landowners (and Club members) should see this as a benefit, rather than an imposition.

If CL Owners want more than 5 vans on their land, they then need to go via the Planning Permission process and be licenced by their local council. This is costly and the site owner would also be responsible for their own advertising. The CAMC website and Sites Directory are easier and cheaper ways for landowners to promote small caravan sites.

'No Tents' is a CAMC rule, rather than the law, but if CL owners want to stay with the CAMC, they need to play by Club rules.

• The C&CC and Freedom Camping Club allow tents under the 1960 Act, but those are much smaller organisations, with fewer members as potential guests. The CAMC is the 'brand leader'.
  • The C&CC charges landowners £165 + VAT every 2 years to operate CSs (equivalent to CLs). It does not allow CS Owners to advertise their CSs outside the main C&CC website and C&CC Sites Handbook, i.e. no personal websites, and no FaceBook pages to promote the CS.  (The CAMC simply asks that new CL Owners pay the same membership fee as other Club members.)

If CL Owners break the law, by over-booking, allowing tents or having non-recreational guests (e.g. workers or residents), they are putting the interests of Club members and the businesses of other CL Owners at risk in 2 ways:

• The CAMC could lose its status of being allowed to issue operating Certificates to CLs.
  • If a neighbouring CL is struggling with lack of bookings, a CL Owner that overbooks is potentially damaging their neighbour’s income stream.

By recommending neighbouring CLs, it helps a CL Owner’s local economy; the neighbour might return the favour; and our experience is that the people we turned-away will probably pop-in to see what they've missed, and often book us for their next holiday.

Ian Kelly
01691 622951
Holiday@BirchHill.co.uk
Birch Hill, The Cross, Ellesmere, Shropshire, SY12 0LP
www.BirchHill.co.uk

Birch Hill Farm – relax at our award-winning hideaway in the beautiful lake-lands of Shropshire - exclusively for members of the Caravan and Motorhome Club

richardandros replied on 09/09/2019 08:06

Posted on 09/09/2019 08:06

Totally agree with the views expressed by the OP - but isn't this a duplication of the thread "Crowded Out".  I am waiting for a response from CL Maddie as to what this Club's stance is on two CLs being run side by side and owned by different members of the same family which seems to happen in certain areas - despite this Club telling a CS owner/ friend (who was thinking of switching allegiance) that it isn't allowed.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 09/09/2019 08:15

Posted on 08/09/2019 19:55 by Trini

Does it matter really? As long as there is room and adequate facilities as advertised we have stayed on a few CLs where there were additional vans and all was well.

I was told by a CL owner that the 6th pitch was for a relief 'warden' when they were away on holiday.

We all have a living to make and as the saying goes 'make hay while the sun shines'

Posted on 09/09/2019 08:15

I was once of that mind T, until I actually came across a site where I was squeezed between 2 units-after asking why I was told-‘they are here for 2weeks, you are just 1night’. Truthfully I was toošŸ‘šŸ» It was a mid drive sleep. It was still annoying, the noise from the 2 units(family) stopped me from the very sleep I neededā˜¹ļø. 

Edit-there were 7 LV’s squeezed in.

gibbo456 replied on 09/09/2019 08:42

Posted on 09/09/2019 08:42

The C&CC charges landowners £165 + VAT every 2 years to operate CSs (equivalent to CLs). It does not allow CS Owners to advertise their CSs outside the main C&CC website and C&CC Sites Handbook, i.e. no personal websites, and no FaceBook pages to promote the CS. (The CAMC simply asks that new CL Owners pay the same membership fee as other Club members.)

If you don't want there top advertising package the C&CC club is totally free and all the local sites to me have their own websites.  They don't even expect you to be a member, so actually cheaper than the C&MHC and you can have 10 tents.

JVB66 replied on 09/09/2019 08:45

Posted on 09/09/2019 08:42 by gibbo456

The C&CC charges landowners Ā£165 + VAT every 2 years to operate CSs (equivalent to CLs). It does not allow CS Owners to advertise their CSs outside the main C&CC website and C&CC Sites Handbook, i.e. no personal websites, and no FaceBook pages to promote the CS. (The CAMC simply asks that new CL Owners pay the same membership fee as other Club members.)

If you don't want there top advertising package the C&CC club is totally free and all the local sites to me have their own websites.  They don't even expect you to be a member, so actually cheaper than the C&MHC and you can have 10 tents.

Posted on 09/09/2019 08:45

Then they are again not following the legislation as to use a CS you need to be a member of the organisation you are allowing to use the facility

Tinwheeler replied on 09/09/2019 08:55

Posted on 09/09/2019 08:42 by gibbo456

The C&CC charges landowners Ā£165 + VAT every 2 years to operate CSs (equivalent to CLs). It does not allow CS Owners to advertise their CSs outside the main C&CC website and C&CC Sites Handbook, i.e. no personal websites, and no FaceBook pages to promote the CS. (The CAMC simply asks that new CL Owners pay the same membership fee as other Club members.)

Posted on 09/09/2019 08:55

Check the C&CC website and you’ll see that membership is a requirement. However, it seems acceptable to hand out membership application forms to non-members, as your sister does. 

I’m pretty sure the Act also stipulates end users must be members of the exempting organisation. 

replied on 09/09/2019 08:58

Posted on 09/09/2019 07:46 by Tinwheeler

Itā€™s an act of Parliament, not a CAMC rule. 

Posted on 09/09/2019 08:58

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Tinwheeler replied on 09/09/2019 09:07

Posted on 09/09/2019 08:58 by

The CC Ltd rules do not reflect the full provisions of the act which is why the rules of the C&CC differ.  

Posted on 09/09/2019 09:07

So you accept it is an Act of Parliament.

The Act covers exemption for 5 vans. CAMC cannot alter that. 

The only difference I’m aware of is CAMC not allowing tents to be part of the 5 units. 

young thomas replied on 09/09/2019 09:09

Posted on 09/09/2019 09:09

different issuers of exemption certificates can set their own rules...

Practical Motorhome (along with the Motor Caravanners Club) manages Nightstops, which include CL/CS type locations along with pubs, farms etc. some of which are free of charge.

whilst their 'version' of the rules states there can only be a maximium of 5 MHs (no caravans) you do not need to be a member of any organisation to use these.

each issuer has its own flavour of the Act, so it's apparent that the Act does not stipulate if you should be a member, nor that any site be limited to specifically MH, caravan, tents etc..

like CCC, PC and other exemptors, CC can set its own rules on CLs, but this is not a one size fits all arrangement.

without reading the Act, im sure there are many fixed rules that all exemptors must adhere to but there is obviously scope for different groups to do some things differently.

Oneputt replied on 09/09/2019 09:23

Posted on 09/09/2019 09:23

That’s all fine and dandy BB but we are talking club CL’s and the club rules by which they issue their certificates guided by the Act.  So the point still remains that the 5 van rule is the standard and more than that is breaking the certification.  Some members may wish more, some owners may break the rule but the fact remains CLs are for 5 vans.

As a cl user I’m happy with the 5 van rule

young thomas replied on 09/09/2019 09:32

Posted on 09/09/2019 09:23 by Oneputt

Thatā€™s all fine and dandy BB but we are talking club CLā€™s and the club rules by which they issue their certificates guided by the Act.  So the point still remains that the 5 van rule is the standard and more than that is breaking the certification.  Some members may wish more, some owners may break the rule but the fact remains CLs are for 5 vans.

As a cl user Iā€™m happy with the 5 van rule

Posted on 09/09/2019 09:32

just responding to other points upthread.

i agree CLs have their own rules, but the point is these aren't set in stone as other exemptors have different 'rules', so there is some degree of flexibility within the act.

CCC allows 5 caravans/MH PLUS upto 10 tents which would mean possibly 15 habitable units on one CS.

im not necessarily suggesting change, I like the 5 van CLs, merely that other organisations have applied for (and are using) different parameters within the same Act.

the CC version is the definite one currently for CLs, but there is certainly scope for change.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook