Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act, 1960

BirchHillFarmCL replied on 08/09/2019 19:06

Posted on 08/09/2019 19:06

Although the CAMC may have 'gold plated' some aspects of the 1960 Act, the 5-van part of it is a key aspect that cannot be changed without reviewing the whole Act.

That simply isn't going to happen - it is too big a piece of legislation, with too many interested parties, including Club-owned sites, CLs, ralliers, and more significantly, the trade organisations of static caravan sites, such as the British Holiday & Home Parks Association.

Clubs such as the CAMC and C&CC have too much to lose if a review of the Act goes in the wrong direction.

The other factor if trying to change the Act is that the government has different priorities at present, so anyone trying to change the 1960 Act would just be wasting their time.

The 5-van limit was a concession to landowners to avoid the need for small sites to go through the full process of Planning Permission.  Landowners (and Club members) should see this as a benefit, rather than an imposition.

If CL Owners want more than 5 vans on their land, they then need to go via the Planning Permission process and be licenced by their local council. This is costly and the site owner would also be responsible for their own advertising. The CAMC website and Sites Directory are easier and cheaper ways for landowners to promote small caravan sites.

'No Tents' is a CAMC rule, rather than the law, but if CL owners want to stay with the CAMC, they need to play by Club rules.

• The C&CC and Freedom Camping Club allow tents under the 1960 Act, but those are much smaller organisations, with fewer members as potential guests. The CAMC is the 'brand leader'.
  • The C&CC charges landowners £165 + VAT every 2 years to operate CSs (equivalent to CLs). It does not allow CS Owners to advertise their CSs outside the main C&CC website and C&CC Sites Handbook, i.e. no personal websites, and no FaceBook pages to promote the CS.  (The CAMC simply asks that new CL Owners pay the same membership fee as other Club members.)

If CL Owners break the law, by over-booking, allowing tents or having non-recreational guests (e.g. workers or residents), they are putting the interests of Club members and the businesses of other CL Owners at risk in 2 ways:

• The CAMC could lose its status of being allowed to issue operating Certificates to CLs.
  • If a neighbouring CL is struggling with lack of bookings, a CL Owner that overbooks is potentially damaging their neighbour’s income stream.

By recommending neighbouring CLs, it helps a CL Owner’s local economy; the neighbour might return the favour; and our experience is that the people we turned-away will probably pop-in to see what they've missed, and often book us for their next holiday.

Ian Kelly
01691 622951
Holiday@BirchHill.co.uk
Birch Hill, The Cross, Ellesmere, Shropshire, SY12 0LP
www.BirchHill.co.uk

Birch Hill Farm – relax at our award-winning hideaway in the beautiful lake-lands of Shropshire - exclusively for members of the Caravan and Motorhome Club

Tinwheeler replied on 09/09/2019 09:34

Posted on 09/09/2019 09:34

I think the crux of that, BB, is that you haven’t read the Act. I have but admit my memory is a bit hazy. Ian, though, will be on the ball as he can’t afford not to be. 

DaveandVicki replied on 09/09/2019 09:37

Posted on 09/09/2019 09:37

The C&CC charges landowners £165 + VAT every 2 years to operate CSs (equivalent to CLs). It does not allow CS Owners to advertise their CSs outside the main C&CC website and C&CC Sites Handbook, i.e. no personal websites, and no FaceBook pages to promote the CS. (The CAMC simply asks that new CL Owners pay the same membership fee as other Club members.)

If this is so then many break their T&C's as many have their own websites, does that also include UK Campsite type websites.

We all know that CS's are more relaxed about the law, 5 caravan/motorhomes and upto 10 tents usually means 5 tents and 10 vans. Perhaps this is why CL owners think it ok to put in more vans, levelling the field (no pun intended)

Oneputt replied on 09/09/2019 09:46

Posted on 09/09/2019 09:46

See where your coming from D&V but all CL owners have the certificate from the club which states 5 vans and no tents except a pup tent.  So I don’t know where they think they have lee way

JVB66 replied on 09/09/2019 09:55

Posted on 09/09/2019 09:37 by DaveandVicki

The C&CC charges landowners £165 + VAT every 2 years to operate CSs (equivalent to CLs). It does not allow CS Owners to advertise their CSs outside the main C&CC website and C&CC Sites Handbook, i.e. no personal websites, and no FaceBook pages to promote the CS. (The CAMC simply asks that new CL Owners pay the same membership fee as other Club members.)

If this is so then many break their T&C's as many have their own websites, does that also include UK Campsite type websites.

We all know that CS's are more relaxed about the law, 5 caravan/motorhomes and upto 10 tents usually means 5 tents and 10 vans. Perhaps this is why CL owners think it ok to put in more vans, levelling the field (no pun intended)

Posted on 09/09/2019 09:55

It does not matter what any owner "thinks"the legislation is there and although these days it seems more often, some think that they are "above"laws and legislation,  knowing that it is unlikely that any one will check what they are doing, and as it seems by posts/reviews  most members it seems are starting to question the occupancy levels of Cl/Cs sites,  more will be useing the report button to try to bring it back to legal levels before (not likely soon)an example will be made of one of the exempted organisations, 

It will only need one of the very vocal and getting more power full "Green"type organisations to get involved , to start the ball rolling

eurortraveller replied on 09/09/2019 10:16

Posted on 09/09/2019 10:16

PitchUp.com has an informative page on line setting out details about getting planning permission to set up a fully fledged campsite with more than five Caravan pitches - either from scratch or from a CL/CS base.

Sure there are fees to be paid,  but farmers with land available can work out how few extra overnight stays are needed to cover the cost of those fees. Certainly here in Cornwall, where peak season numbers are crucial to any holiday business, farmers are going down that road - and the more the Clubs enforce the existing rules (to protect their own interests) the more will take that step. 

JVB66 replied on 09/09/2019 10:23

Posted on 09/09/2019 10:16 by eurortraveller

PitchUp.com has an informative page on line setting out details about getting planning permission to set up a fully fledged campsite with more than five Caravan pitches - either from scratch or from a CL/CS base.

Sure there are fees to be paid,  but farmers with land available can work out how few extra overnight stays are needed to cover the cost of those fees. Certainly here in Cornwall, where peak season numbers are crucial to any holiday business, farmers are going down that road - and the more the Clubs enforce the existing rules (to protect their own interests) the more will take that step. 

Posted on 09/09/2019 10:23

The club's or other organisations are protecting what is a legislated concetion that allows owners of land to to have five vans without going through the more complicated planning laws,   that as noted are turning down applications 

allanandjean replied on 09/09/2019 10:24

Posted on 09/09/2019 10:24

Last Friday I drove past a local CL which looked ‘full’. On the way back I slowed and counted 6 units.

Having seen recent comments re number of units I asked my self what would I do if I arrived at a CL that already had 5 units in situ.

I cannot say that I would drive on, depending on the circumstances, and as it was impossible for me to know the reasons why there were 6 units what should you do??

My guess is that many, myself included, would probably view it as something we cannot sort and unless totally unacceptable stay, at least till an alternative can be found.

peedee replied on 09/09/2019 10:51

Posted on 09/09/2019 10:51

I believe the local authority can apply to have the certificate withdrawn and compel the site owner to apply for planning permission/force closure if it believes the rules are not being applied or in the event of complaints which are upheld.

I suppose if C&MC wanted to it could apply for a camping exemption (it current does not hold this while the C&CC does) to allow CL owners with room to have tents. That would be one way of possibly growing membership and allowing CL owners to expand????

peedee

gibbo456 replied on 09/09/2019 10:54

Posted on 09/09/2019 08:55 by Tinwheeler

Check the C&CC website and you’ll see that membership is a requirement. However, it seems acceptable to hand out membership application forms to non-members, as your sister does. 

I’m pretty sure the Act also stipulates end users must be members of the exempting organisation. 

Posted on 09/09/2019 10:54

The owner of the CS does not have to be a member, the people who stay there do, new owners of CL's have to join the club and pay membership

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook