Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act, 1960

BirchHillFarmCL replied on 08/09/2019 19:06

Posted on 08/09/2019 19:06

Although the CAMC may have 'gold plated' some aspects of the 1960 Act, the 5-van part of it is a key aspect that cannot be changed without reviewing the whole Act.

That simply isn't going to happen - it is too big a piece of legislation, with too many interested parties, including Club-owned sites, CLs, ralliers, and more significantly, the trade organisations of static caravan sites, such as the British Holiday & Home Parks Association.

Clubs such as the CAMC and C&CC have too much to lose if a review of the Act goes in the wrong direction.

The other factor if trying to change the Act is that the government has different priorities at present, so anyone trying to change the 1960 Act would just be wasting their time.

The 5-van limit was a concession to landowners to avoid the need for small sites to go through the full process of Planning Permission.  Landowners (and Club members) should see this as a benefit, rather than an imposition.

If CL Owners want more than 5 vans on their land, they then need to go via the Planning Permission process and be licenced by their local council. This is costly and the site owner would also be responsible for their own advertising. The CAMC website and Sites Directory are easier and cheaper ways for landowners to promote small caravan sites.

'No Tents' is a CAMC rule, rather than the law, but if CL owners want to stay with the CAMC, they need to play by Club rules.

• The C&CC and Freedom Camping Club allow tents under the 1960 Act, but those are much smaller organisations, with fewer members as potential guests. The CAMC is the 'brand leader'.
  • The C&CC charges landowners £165 + VAT every 2 years to operate CSs (equivalent to CLs). It does not allow CS Owners to advertise their CSs outside the main C&CC website and C&CC Sites Handbook, i.e. no personal websites, and no FaceBook pages to promote the CS.  (The CAMC simply asks that new CL Owners pay the same membership fee as other Club members.)

If CL Owners break the law, by over-booking, allowing tents or having non-recreational guests (e.g. workers or residents), they are putting the interests of Club members and the businesses of other CL Owners at risk in 2 ways:

• The CAMC could lose its status of being allowed to issue operating Certificates to CLs.
  • If a neighbouring CL is struggling with lack of bookings, a CL Owner that overbooks is potentially damaging their neighbour’s income stream.

By recommending neighbouring CLs, it helps a CL Owner’s local economy; the neighbour might return the favour; and our experience is that the people we turned-away will probably pop-in to see what they've missed, and often book us for their next holiday.

Ian Kelly
01691 622951
Holiday@BirchHill.co.uk
Birch Hill, The Cross, Ellesmere, Shropshire, SY12 0LP
www.BirchHill.co.uk

Birch Hill Farm – relax at our award-winning hideaway in the beautiful lake-lands of Shropshire - exclusively for members of the Caravan and Motorhome Club

peedee replied on 09/09/2019 11:14

Posted on 09/09/2019 11:14

TW, whether or not a certificated location/site is limited to members only is down to an agreement between the site owner and the organisation issuing the certificate. C&MC have stated in a previous thread they do not allow none members and presumably this is agreed with all CL owners. The limitation is not part of the 1960 act and it is down to each oraganisation to decide if they wish to limit sites to members only.

peedee

Tinwheeler replied on 09/09/2019 11:15

Posted on 09/09/2019 10:54 by gibbo456

The owner of the CS does not have to be a member, the people who stay there do, new owners of CL's have to join the club and pay membership

Posted on 09/09/2019 11:15

I’m with you👍🏻  Crossed wires🙂

Tinwheeler replied on 09/09/2019 11:18

Posted on 09/09/2019 11:14 by peedee

TW, whether or not a certificated location/site is limited to members only is down to an agreement between the site owner and the organisation issuing the certificate. C&MC have stated in a previous thread they do not allow none members and presumably this is agreed with all CL owners. The limitation is not part of the 1960 act and it is down to each oraganisation to decide if they wish to limit sites to members only.

peedee

Posted on 09/09/2019 11:18

That’s not as I remember, PD, but I’m not in a position to check right now. 

peedee replied on 09/09/2019 11:28

Posted on 09/09/2019 11:28

I suppose if C&MC wanted to it could apply for a camping exemption (it current does not hold this while the C&CC does) to allow CL owners with room to have tents. That would be one way of possibly growing membership and allowing CL owners to expand????

Ooops, correction, I have just checked and the C&MC does hold a camping exemption certificate as well as those held under the 1960 act.

peedee

P.S. camping exemption certificates are issued under Section 269 of the Public Health Act 1936

eurortraveller replied on 09/09/2019 12:13

Posted on 09/09/2019 10:24 by allanandjean

Last Friday I drove past a local CL which looked ‘full’. On the way back I slowed and counted 6 units.

Having seen recent comments re number of units I asked my self what would I do if I arrived at a CL that already had 5 units in situ.

I cannot say that I would drive on, depending on the circumstances, and as it was impossible for me to know the reasons why there were 6 units what should you do??

My guess is that many, myself included, would probably view it as something we cannot sort and unless totally unacceptable stay, at least till an alternative can be found.

Posted on 09/09/2019 12:13

Hi Allan,  if some of the six units on site were motorhomes then it may be that things there were legal. It is possible that the figure five in the 1960 Act only applies to caravans - not to parking of motor vehicles. 

cyberyacht replied on 09/09/2019 12:36

Posted on 09/09/2019 12:36

It is possible that the figure five in the 1960 Act only applies to caravans - not to parking of motor vehicles.

An interesting interpretation. Possibly  more the letter than the spirit of the legislation.

young thomas replied on 09/09/2019 12:53

Posted on 09/09/2019 12:53

as above, with the references to being members or not (it's not a requirement with Nightstops) and to the interpretation of 'caravan', whilst not being able to check the wording in the Nightstops certificate, is says clearly on its website that the sites are limited to five 'Motorhomes'....very clearly worded.

so, again as Peeedee points out, each granting organisation can set its own parameters yet still remain within the law.

hence its perfectly possible for any of these groups to apply for a minor change should this be desired....

however....tents on a CL.....ooooohwink

MichaelT replied on 09/09/2019 14:38

Posted on 09/09/2019 10:24 by allanandjean

Last Friday I drove past a local CL which looked ‘full’. On the way back I slowed and counted 6 units.

Having seen recent comments re number of units I asked my self what would I do if I arrived at a CL that already had 5 units in situ.

I cannot say that I would drive on, depending on the circumstances, and as it was impossible for me to know the reasons why there were 6 units what should you do??

My guess is that many, myself included, would probably view it as something we cannot sort and unless totally unacceptable stay, at least till an alternative can be found.

Posted on 09/09/2019 14:38

We were on a CL couple of weeks ago and there were 7 units in the Field which was large and still loads of room so no complaints from me.  However one MH belonged to the owner and was just parked, another one was empty as the owner had driven to Ipswich to watch Ed Sheeran so was not staying  in his van but asked to just park ti there whilst at the gig before returning and continuing his holiday the next day. so what looked like a CL with too many vans on did not in reality....

Oneputt replied on 09/09/2019 14:57

Posted on 09/09/2019 14:57

If the conditions that Ian posted you will observe that it says, “club members must have caravans, MH or trailer tents so I guess that’s the give away 

allanandjean replied on 09/09/2019 16:12

Posted on 09/09/2019 12:13 by eurortraveller

Hi Allan,  if some of the six units on site were motorhomes then it may be that things there were legal. It is possible that the figure five in the 1960 Act only applies to caravans - not to parking of motor vehicles. 

Posted on 09/09/2019 16:12

Hi euror, at least one was. MH. My thinking is that many will be considering the words  guidance/rules/wise men/fools.

Never had to make the decision but can see reasons why it would happen.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook