Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act, 1960

BirchHillFarmCL replied on 08/09/2019 19:06

Posted on 08/09/2019 19:06

Although the CAMC may have 'gold plated' some aspects of the 1960 Act, the 5-van part of it is a key aspect that cannot be changed without reviewing the whole Act.

That simply isn't going to happen - it is too big a piece of legislation, with too many interested parties, including Club-owned sites, CLs, ralliers, and more significantly, the trade organisations of static caravan sites, such as the British Holiday & Home Parks Association.

Clubs such as the CAMC and C&CC have too much to lose if a review of the Act goes in the wrong direction.

The other factor if trying to change the Act is that the government has different priorities at present, so anyone trying to change the 1960 Act would just be wasting their time.

The 5-van limit was a concession to landowners to avoid the need for small sites to go through the full process of Planning Permission.  Landowners (and Club members) should see this as a benefit, rather than an imposition.

If CL Owners want more than 5 vans on their land, they then need to go via the Planning Permission process and be licenced by their local council. This is costly and the site owner would also be responsible for their own advertising. The CAMC website and Sites Directory are easier and cheaper ways for landowners to promote small caravan sites.

'No Tents' is a CAMC rule, rather than the law, but if CL owners want to stay with the CAMC, they need to play by Club rules.

• The C&CC and Freedom Camping Club allow tents under the 1960 Act, but those are much smaller organisations, with fewer members as potential guests. The CAMC is the 'brand leader'.
  • The C&CC charges landowners £165 + VAT every 2 years to operate CSs (equivalent to CLs). It does not allow CS Owners to advertise their CSs outside the main C&CC website and C&CC Sites Handbook, i.e. no personal websites, and no FaceBook pages to promote the CS.  (The CAMC simply asks that new CL Owners pay the same membership fee as other Club members.)

If CL Owners break the law, by over-booking, allowing tents or having non-recreational guests (e.g. workers or residents), they are putting the interests of Club members and the businesses of other CL Owners at risk in 2 ways:

• The CAMC could lose its status of being allowed to issue operating Certificates to CLs.
  • If a neighbouring CL is struggling with lack of bookings, a CL Owner that overbooks is potentially damaging their neighbour’s income stream.

By recommending neighbouring CLs, it helps a CL Owner’s local economy; the neighbour might return the favour; and our experience is that the people we turned-away will probably pop-in to see what they've missed, and often book us for their next holiday.

Ian Kelly
01691 622951
Holiday@BirchHill.co.uk
Birch Hill, The Cross, Ellesmere, Shropshire, SY12 0LP
www.BirchHill.co.uk

Birch Hill Farm – relax at our award-winning hideaway in the beautiful lake-lands of Shropshire - exclusively for members of the Caravan and Motorhome Club

JVB66 replied on 09/09/2019 17:23

Posted on 09/09/2019 12:13 by eurortraveller

Hi Allan,  if some of the six units on site were motorhomes then it may be that things there were legal. It is possible that the figure five in the 1960 Act only applies to caravans - not to parking of motor vehicles. 

Posted on 09/09/2019 17:23

But the official name is motor caravan as per the V5 not a marketing namewink 

JVB66 replied on 09/09/2019 17:42

Posted on 09/09/2019 17:38 by Tinwheeler

So what? I doubt you car is shown on its V5 as 'support vehicle' 🙄😤

Posted on 09/09/2019 17:42

If you read the post I answered before posting then it may be not so open to your mis interpretation undecided

birderbilly replied on 09/09/2019 18:00

Posted on 09/09/2019 18:00

We were on a CL last week that on average (for a week) had 8 units on it and for one night had 10 - yes TEN - the owner happily told me she never turned anyone away as there was "plenty of space".  If we were to report this to the club would they actually do anything about it ?

JVB66 replied on 09/09/2019 18:02

Posted on 09/09/2019 18:00 by birderbilly

We were on a CL last week that on average (for a week) had 8 units on it and for one night had 10 - yes TEN - the owner happily told me she never turned anyone away as there was "plenty of space".  If we were to report this to the club would they actually do anything about it ?

Posted on 09/09/2019 18:02

Yes

Oneputt replied on 09/09/2019 18:11

Posted on 09/09/2019 18:11

Yes the club would at least investigate and may well act in accordance with the notes that appear on the certificate.

We as members can quibble and quarrel all we like about the 5 van rule and nothing is going to change.  If a group of CL owners made representation would anything change, probably not.  So that leaves owners with two solutions, the status quo or apply for planning to become commercial 

Vulcan replied on 09/09/2019 18:16

Posted on 09/09/2019 18:16

As a member you have a responsibility to report it and I for one would be grateful if you would let me know which CL you are referring to so that I can avoid it.

Tinwheeler replied on 09/09/2019 18:31

Posted on 09/09/2019 18:31

You’ve surely read Maddie's posts in the various CL threads explaining the implications of this act of greed by the CL owner. Report it for all our sakes.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook