replied on 05/09/2020 07:32

Posted on 05/09/2020 07:32

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 24/09/2020 07:56

Posted on 24/09/2020 07:56

DavidKlyne replied on 24/09/2020 10:33

Posted on 23/09/2020 22:22 by Wreaker

Why can they not take into consideration individual circumstanes and give approval.  I need to go and check my boat in France and secure it for the winter. I can go there and back in my motorhome with the only contact being with card operated fuel pumps. I can carry everything I need and do not even have to shop.  The only annoying contact is the Ferry.  At our age we are vulnerable.  Why can we not sign a waver and remain in our mororhome on the Dover/Calais crossing rather than being forced to go up and use their shop and food outlets. I could go out and back in 8 days, check and winterise my boat, without coming into contact with anyone.  I know a few people with property, static caravans, barges, and boats in France who need to just go and check their property.

Posted on 24/09/2020 10:33

I could be wrong but I don't think there is any ban on travel, it's just that when you return you will have to quarantine  as TG says. The FCO has advised against travel but that is not a ban. Like others I would use the Tunnel as there is minimal contact required. As you say you are vulnerable so you have the weigh up the risks. With regards the boat are you not paying the moorings to look after it for you? 

David

eurortraveller replied on 24/09/2020 10:51

Posted on 24/09/2020 10:51

You are right - there's no ban. Two young friends have just gone over from Plymouth for a week's carp fishing in France. I am sitting by the woodburner and they are in a small tent by a lake ! 

They took the  ferry to Roscoff which is still sailing three times a week all through October - they had a cabin and said there were just a handful of other passengers on board - on a ship which can normally carry 2400. That ferry company is certainly losing a lot of money.

Rufs replied on 24/09/2020 11:30

Posted on 24/09/2020 11:30

2 sets of wardens on the site i am currently on, always overwinter in Spain, one set leaves next Tuesday for Javier, will stay until early March 2021, the other set will leave late October for Mazarron and stay until early March. Have to say they are not in the at risk category and both sets have secured medical insurance, their only concern if as per last year, some sites were forced to close and campers sent packing, but it would appear lots of concessions were made for those who were over wintering for long periods.

for us we are planning a trip to southern Spain via France commencing April 2021 returning Jun 21, hopefully, right now the situation in Spain is too volatile, and the government do not hesitate to roll out the troops to help enforce lock downs etc, so not for us this year.

As a precaution we have booked present site for 1 month Sept 2021, as staycations are bound to be on the increase with sites getting booked up very quickly undecided

MDD10 replied on 30/09/2020 07:44

Posted on 30/09/2020 07:44

I note that the Club have now published details of holidays next year promising if FCO advice changes to advise again not to travel, then deposits or payments will be refunded.  This isn’t really the crux of the problem.  What is a problem is the inability to be insured in case of local lockdowns and getting home as prices immediately soar.  Secondly is the risk of quarantines being imposed at short notice which for most working people, the risk is too great.

The offer to refund if you haven’t travelled and a quarantine is imposed might resolve some of these issues but I guess is not financially practicable 

replied on 30/09/2020 08:15

Posted on 30/09/2020 07:44 by MDD10

I note that the Club have now published details of holidays next year promising if FCO advice changes to advise again not to travel, then deposits or payments will be refunded.  This isn’t really the crux of the problem.  What is a problem is the inability to be insured in case of local lockdowns and getting home as prices immediately soar.  Secondly is the risk of quarantines being imposed at short notice which for most working people, the risk is too great.

The offer to refund if you haven’t travelled and a quarantine is imposed might resolve some of these issues but I guess is not financially practicable 

Posted on 30/09/2020 08:15

Metheven replied on 01/10/2020 10:03

Posted on 01/10/2020 10:03

Some info for anyone thinking of using the Hull to Zeebrugge route next year, it has been announced it will not return and will be axed. Hull to Rotterdam will still be sailing.

Hull Zeebrugge 

replied on 01/10/2020 13:38

Posted on 01/10/2020 10:03 by Metheven

Some info for anyone thinking of using the Hull to Zeebrugge route next year, it has been announced it will not return and will be axed. Hull to Rotterdam will still be sailing.

Hull Zeebrugge 

Posted on 01/10/2020 13:38

allanandjean replied on 01/10/2020 13:54

Posted on 01/10/2020 13:54

Looking at the link that Metheven posted does make for depressing reading and whilst, as David says, not entirely surprising does show that any thoughts that we will just resume travel in 2021, as if we have just had a year off, may be very misplaced.

Sometimes stats can be overdone but one that jumped out at me yesterday was that Exeter Airport saw 97000 passengers in August 2019 and just 9 in August 2020.

BF reports of 55-65000 cancellations is awful but if they do do not, or cannot re-book, thats going to make the likelihood of a return to pre covid levels of crossings and frequencies very unlikely. 

And now its started raining!

Wherenext replied on 01/10/2020 18:21

Posted on 01/10/2020 18:21

Not making plans but always have "hope".

Reading some articles it appears that any vaccine may not appear for most until second half of 2021. Any trip abroad taken by us would normally be in Spring but not set in stone and we have ventured abroad in September. I'll wait and see having seen last 3 planned trips overseas cancelled for various reasons.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook