Car Insurance for Towing in Europe

DanielTaylor replied on 04/05/2021 21:12

Posted on 04/05/2021 21:12

Our car insurance has been through a broker for many years and it includes covering us for towing the caravan (3rd party) in the UK and Europe. 

The insurance is now up for renewal and looking around there are lots more competitive deals to be found on go compare, money supermarket etc..... and I wondered if people had any car insurance firms to recommend or avoid specifically around getting coverage for towing a caravan in Europe? 

We'd only be going for 2-3 weeks at a time, so no extended touring or special circumstances, but I had heard that some insurance firms would only insure caravans below a certain length for example?

I don't want to hunt down the cheapest deal only to find it doesn't cover us when it comes to going on holiday! 

Thanks Dan 

allanandjean replied on 09/05/2021 14:57

Posted on 09/05/2021 14:57

Hi Daniel, If looking for any 'financial' advice/prices I always go the Money Saving Expert.

I accept it can be repetitive, time consuming and all a bit of a faff but I would rather get my info direct and only look for pointers from a forum.

My recent renewal, form my exiting insurer, was app £600, I queried it and it dropped to £500.

I then followed MSE advice re comparison sites and insured with AVIVA for £350 and this included European cover.

DavidKlyne replied on 09/05/2021 16:11

Posted on 05/05/2021 08:59 by eurortraveller

Alas my quote today from the Club was £671, but a new five star policy from John Lewis Finance was £293.

Posted on 09/05/2021 16:11

I have never been able to get a sensible car insurance quote out of the Club. Caravans and Motorhomes have been more competitive so its difficult to understand why they are so wide of the mark on cars? We don't take our car abroad now because we have a motorhome but like ET we have found John Lewis very competitive for car insurance, even a bit cheaper but it is a smaller car.

David

DanielTaylor replied on 09/05/2021 18:20

Posted on 09/05/2021 18:20

Thanks for all the replies, after a some digging around last week I was able to get a new five star Defaqto rating policy with a different firm & saved a few hundred pounds off the renewal quote from my current insurer.

iansoady replied on 10/05/2021 10:04

Posted on 10/05/2021 10:04

I was a loyal LV= car insurance customer for years till last year when they hiked my premium by about £80. Using confused. com got the identical cover from Hastings Direct for a premium £150 less. My wife's car has also been insured with LV= and her renewal is due shortly - last premium was £466. I checked with moneysupermarket and got a premium of £182. And this was from LV=.

It's a different story with my (classic) motorcycle insurance however - the broker I use is consistently cheaper than anywhere else I've checked. Peter James if anyone's looking. The current premium is just over £100 for 2 bikes with total agreed value of £9,500. This premium includes UK and EU wide breakdown and recovery cover!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook