French Mediterranean Campsites

Mark15365 replied on 28/07/2020 14:27

Posted on 28/07/2020 14:27

Hi All,

With Spain looking doubtful for our annual caravan holiday can anyone recommend a decent campsite for my touring van in the following areas.

Cape D'agde and Argeles Sur mer.

Nothing too big, not a fan of waterpark campsites! Somewhere near the beaches but peaceful with decent size pitches. My caravan and tow car are 12 meters.

Would be nice to be able to walk into village or town.

Any recommendations gratefully received

Mark...

replied on 28/07/2020 15:28

Posted on 28/07/2020 15:28

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

commeyras replied on 28/07/2020 15:44

Posted on 28/07/2020 15:44

Harley, when are you going?  How far from the beaches are you prepared to be? I can give you some to avoid!  Are you prepared to widen your area?  Both Argeles and Cape d'Agde are very popular areas and most of the sites are large and of the waterpark variety.  The area east of Marseilles towards Provence is very attractive and inland a little will get you some less commercial sites.

Mark15365 replied on 29/07/2020 10:08

Posted on 28/07/2020 15:44 by commeyras

Harley, when are you going?  How far from the beaches are you prepared to be? I can give you some to avoid!  Are you prepared to widen your area?  Both Argeles and Cape d'Agde are very popular areas and most of the sites are large and of the waterpark variety.  The area east of Marseilles towards Provence is very attractive and inland a little will get you some less commercial sites.

Posted on 29/07/2020 10:08

Hi,

We are getting the overnight ferry from Portsmouth to Caen on 30/8.

So we are in France all of September. We planned to come back at the beginning of October as we are still hoping the Spain Covid thing will be eased by then.

Obviously in France a good majority of the Campsites tend to close up by mid to late September.

However we are happy to consider anywhere really. We have been along by St Tropez a few years ago but firstly the pitches are tiny as are the site roads for a UK Caravan. Everyone is crammed in, if there was a fire I think it would be very dangerous! Also the prices are not what you call good value, I think we were told it was 50 euros per night after it clicked into the high season a few days later so we left.

Regards the beaches if they are 15 minute drive or so I'd be happy to do that. We take my 300cc scooter in my Vito dual liner so we tend to only use that once pitched up etc.

So if you have any quaint smaller sites with easy access with a swimming pool and electric and water I would love to hear back from you.

Mark

Lutz replied on 29/07/2020 10:23

Posted on 29/07/2020 10:23

When driving down to or returning from Spain we stay at La Créole Camping in Marseillan Plage. It's a relatively small campsite right on the beach and despite being centrally located in town, it's reasonably quiet. I paid €141 for 6 nights there last July.

The pitches are big enough to take my car and 8m caravan and most offer adequate shade against the sun (it was 40° in the shade when we were there).

SeasideBill replied on 29/07/2020 10:58

Posted on 29/07/2020 10:58

Between the two locations we’ve stayed at Valras Plage, Camping La Plage et du board de Mer. Not the type of site we usually go for but I was pleasantly surprised and would happily return. It strikes a nice balance between big & small offering good facilities but spacious enough to escape the hubbub and relax. Wouldn’t want to be there in peak season, but low season would be fine. It’s ACSI and dog free. Right on the beach as the name would suggest but easy access to Beziers and various coastal resorts.

Their website pictures don’t do the place justice, it’s not as ‘water park’ as they suggest, at least not out of season.

eurortraveller replied on 29/07/2020 11:16

Posted on 29/07/2020 11:16

Mark, if space is important to you, and if you are willing to look outside the area you specified, then look at Camping Felix de la Bastide. It's on the big lagoon near Martigues, but within 15 or 20 minutes of the open sea -where there are sandy/rocky coves rather than the huge windswept beaches in Languedoc.

It's a three star site in natural surroundings, nothing flashy and only has a formal rectangular pool. But you will have to Google for reviews - few UK visitors know of that stretch of coast. It's open until 27 Septembe and costs about €22 per night for two people. 

commeyras replied on 29/07/2020 12:54

Posted on 29/07/2020 12:54

Harley.  Going 30/8 yes a lot of the sites in France start to wind down; BUT, ACSI starts to kick in and you will pay a max of 20 euros per night. You can join ACSI through the Club following the Offers link at the top of the page.  You have been given a number of recommendation.  A lot of the sites in the Valras/Serignan area fail to meet your quiet requirement so research carefully.  Not used it but Camping Camping Le Clos Ste Therese at St Cyr sur Mer (ACSI 2726) looks nice , as does Camping Parc Mogador at Sanay sur Mer (ACSI 2717).  A bit out of your way and failing to meet your distance to the sea is Gordes.  We stayed at Camping des Sources (ACSI 2660) for a few days last Sep; it was peaceful with excellent facilities and a pool and bar overlooking the Provencal countryside and within easy walking distance from Gordes - recommended.  There is no need to book any sites in France in Sep so just follow the sun and your moodcool.  Have a great trip.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook